taking a rest

swtnycboy

Awards
i never took a rest without being injured. how long should i rest for. The reason i am resting is because my back is overworked. Its not in pain but sore.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's good to take a break once every 12 weeks, a one week break is good.

jjm

jjm

Awards
It's good to take a break once every 12 weeks, a one week break is good.
I was going to post a new thread but then I saw this thread, so i'll just add in here.

I want to take a 1 week break. I've been training for 9 months now and I havent missed over 1 day in a row.

I've only been working my legs for about 4.5 months so i was wondering if i should still train my legs during that week break? Maybe do something like:
Monday - light legs
Wednesday - Heavy legs
Friday - light legs.

And can I still do cardio, or should I just not do anything during the week off?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, I don't think you should do that. I also think it would benefit the original poster as well as you jjm to realize all the benefits of rest. Through continual usage your body needs rest, not only your skeletal-muscle systems, but more importantly your central nervous system. If it makes you feel better when I first started training I actually bragged about not taking a break in a year or so, I was stupid.

jjm

jjm

Awards
No, I don't think you should do that. I also think it would benefit the original poster as well as you jjm to realize all the benefits of rest. Through continual usage your body needs rest, not only your skeletal-muscle systems, but more importantly your central nervous system. If it makes you feel better when I first started training I actually bragged about not taking a break in a year or so, I was stupid.
I've just been avoiding it for so long because I know I'm going to feel like complete **** if I don't go to the gym for that long. Even missing 1 day now I want to kill myself on that day.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
for not taking a break in 9 months you'll probably feel better mentaly and physically with a 1 week rest - maybe even two - as long as you keep your diet in check you'll be fine.

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
A break is good as long as you keep your diet strict, and also if you are worried about conditioning go for long walks.... Not quick and dont dehydrate yourself... just for a good stroll once a day... It helps keep the metabolism moving if your not eating enough to already do that...

~Mk

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
nycboy - take a week and come back stronger than ever

jjm - take a week then come back and go extremely light for a week, 9 months is WAY too long

and i wouldnt do anything on my week off, rest and eat, that's it

Plenum

Awards
I've only been lifting for about 3 months, but I had to take a week off for personal reasons, and when I came back I was definatley stronger.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i make it mandatory to take one week off after every six week interval of training.

jjm

jjm

Awards
Should I still be taking creatine during this time or should I take a break from that too?

This is my 2nd day off from the gym and God this sucks.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i don't see a harm in it. but since we're on the subject, how long have you been on creatine?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
haven't read any studies on it, but some have speculated that creatines' effectiveness dwindles after being on it for an extended period of time. thereby, saying that cycling it would be more effective. makes sense but like i said, no paper work.

moflika

Awards
Man, this is another one of those things that I do wrong, but can't bring myself to do it right. I know I should take a week break every so often, but if I miss like 1 day I feel so bad.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man, this is another one of those things that I do wrong, but can't bring myself to do it right. I know I should take a week break every so often, but if I miss like 1 day I feel so bad.
I know what you mean, but after you start to see your improved results from taking scheduled breaks, you won't feel bad anymore.

jjm

jjm

Awards
I go back to the gym tomorrow (fawk yeah!) I actually ended up taking 9 days off, but whatever. The first couple of days really suck, but once my joints started to feel better and stuff I kinda realized that I needed this and it probably is good for me.

I've been taking creatine non stop since I started working out as well, so for the 9 days I stopped taking creatine as well. I might wait another week before I start it back up. Or is 1 week ok?

When I go back to the gym tomorrow it makes the most sense to me to start off light. I'm thinking in the 10-12 rep range.

But should I also drop some exercises for the first week and then add them back later?