How not to pres 255!

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
So here's how you don't do it, if you do then stop immediately, give your head a shake and try again! :icon_lol:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

PS. don't be spellin press with one s either!

rocketscientist

Awards
I like the comment saying there are at least 2 techniques to this exercise and one of them does not require you to touch your chest... :lol:

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
I like the comment saying there are at least 2 techniques to this exercise and one of them does not require you to touch your chest... :lol:
Well that is true, there is the pipe or piece of wood on the chest technigue used for powerlifting. Maybe this guy just forgot the pipe.:blink:

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Why would that kid even post that on the internet? :icon_lol:

rocketscientist

Awards
Well that is true, there is the pipe or piece of wood on the chest technigue used for powerlifting. Maybe this guy just forgot the pipe.:blink:
Maybe he couldn't find one that size...

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
There are actually 2 jokers at my gym who don't go close to this low on the bench, wonder why they are still small. Anyway they are lifting the other week and of course we have to watch as this skinny guy, mind you in shape, pops on 345! Puts on his nice shiny black gloves and does his version of 5 reps, as his partner loudly counts them off and shouts encouragement. To top it all off we over hear him saying "Holy ****! That was 345! You'll be doing 400 next week!":blink: :jaw: :ntome: :toofunny: :frustrate

It was good for a laugh.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
Haha. I saw this video. What a joke. Looked as he was doing a three board press with imaginary boards. He does not look like a PL to me.
I always love the guys that tell me they can't touch the bar to their chest because of shoulder problems. I simply follow up with, then why are you going heavy on the bench or benching in general?

Shock133

Awards
I always love the guys that tell me they can't touch the bar to their chest because of shoulder problems. I simply follow up with, then why are you going heavy on the bench or benching in general?
I think that's kind of ignorant to say unless you're talking specifically about guys like the ones seen in the video. I don't touch the bar to my chest because I'm not that flexible and I do have shoulder problems. My chest development sure hasn't suffered though and it's actually how some of the pros and pro trainers recommend doing chest pressing movements.

Why would you stop doing these movements if they're giving you a benefit but you just can't touch your chest?

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
I think that's kind of ignorant to say unless you're talking specifically about guys like the ones seen in the video. I don't touch the bar to my chest because I'm not that flexible and I do have shoulder problems. My chest development sure hasn't suffered though and it's actually how some of the pros and pro trainers recommend doing chest pressing movements.

Why would you stop doing these movements if they're giving you a benefit but you just can't touch your chest?
All I meant was there are plenty other movements to give your chest work, there is no need to do bench if your body doesn't allow you to. Whats the use of loading up a bar with 300+ and then not go through the full movement unless you were doing something like floor presses or board presses to help through a sticking point. Wouldn't it be better to use lighter weight and work on the flexability so you can get the bar all the way down? There are some exercises for me that give bad joint pain or I can't complete the maneuver. So I keep them out and find alternatives.

And to add, yes I was talking about people like that in the video. Some of my friends specifically that tell me they are benching 300+. Then when I actually see them in the gym, they are doing a rep like the one in the video.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
HAHAHAH I know a guy who lifts like that!!!! :icon_lol: :rofl: :icon_lol:

Actually the guy I know arch's his back WAYY worse than that kid

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established

That's a good point actually. Some powerlifters will intentionally stop short of a full bench to save the stress on the shoulders. I've considered this as well after doing a stint of wide and low.

axekick

Awards
That makes me laugh. Especially his spazzed out freind posing for the camera.

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I play college baseball and have friends that play at different schools across the country and almost every sigle strangth trainner i talk to tell baseball players not to go much lower then what that kid was doing due to the structure of the shoulder and throwing. I know the kid kinda looks like a duche bag, im trying to give him a little benifit of the doubt. I my slef do not touch my chest but i come withing a few inches but i also go wide and use a smaller ROM, with my feet on the bench. It has worked like magic on my chest size.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Well, I don't think the point is that he is not touching his chest..you don't really have to to get full muscle fiber recruitment...BUT you DO have to at least let your elbows go to 90 degrees and this kid is at more like 40 so he is totally fooling himself.

I had this dumbasss in my old gym that would do even less range of motion than that kid. Short, huge beer belly, little skinny arms, and of course..a long feather earring ala Mr T. He'd load up 350 and only go down about 3 inches before squealing and popping the bar back up as fast as possible, squeeze out 6 reps, then hop up off the bench all puffed up like tom turkey during the rut. Total f'ing dumbass. I seriously had a hard time not laughing at him or offering advice..but of course that's a gym no-no. lol

axekick

Awards
Yeah Bioman, laughing would have probably been apropriate, but advise won't help someone like that. They'll probably just get all worked up if you do that, then you will have more reason to laugh.

peterson24

Awards
  • Established
That's a good point actually. Some powerlifters will intentionally stop short of a full bench to save the stress on the shoulders. I've considered this as well after doing a stint of wide and low.
but that is what board presses are for. PL's also arch their back, I do this.

When in competition though, you have to touch.

Anyway, the whole point was this kid loaded up the bar with way more than he can handle and convinced himself he was doing full reps and can handle a lot of weight. Thats the whole joke of this video.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Ya know advice on some people like that is like talking to a brick wall. Some people are so set in there ways, and don't care how they get 350 up as long as they do. Like I said in my last post I have a friend who does the same thing for EVERYTHING and to be honest 90% of his training is sloppy slooooppppy form but as long as he has alllll that weight on he thinks hes doing good and you cant tell him a thing. So bio you did the right thing by walking away because he probably will just blow you off! Don't worry in about 3 weeks he will probably quit working out because he blew his shoulder out anyway....

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Seeing guys doing a half rep on both squat and bench with something that would crush them if they tried to a full rep makes me want to beat someone with a 45lb plate.These guys deserve a :trout: and a :nutkick: Sorry, a 500lb sissy squat doesn't impress me. I'd be more impressed with a guy doing 315 ATG for a set of 10 then I am a guy doing half squats with 450 for a set of 10. That's just me though.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep, good form and full range of motion count for SO much more than just moving shiet around a few inches.

That guy relly didn't bother me, it was actually amusing to see him workout week after week and watch him walk around with his pretend mojo on, lol. He'd watch me do half the weight and I am sure he was wondering why I was 3 times his size. He was a classic all upper body gym rat. Never did squats or deads and on the leg press he'd barely squeak out 200 pounds fot 8. He made me feel so good about myself..I miss him lmao.

My new gym has a collection of great athletes so I feel small and insignificant. lol

-Dysmorphia Bio

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Yep, good form and full range of motion count for SO much more than just moving shiet around a few inches.

That guy relly didn't bother me, it was actually amusing to see him workout week after week and watch him walk around with his pretend mojo on, lol. He'd watch me do half the weight and I am sure he was wondering why I was 3 times his size. He was a classic all upper body gym rat. Never did squats or deads and on the leg press he'd barely squeak out 200 pounds fot 8. He made me feel so good about myself..I miss him lmao.

My new gym has a collection of great athletes so I feel small and insignificant. lol

-Dysmorphia Bio
Yeah, I love those guys at my gym. I see them doing curls in the one power rack we have. :wtf: Go over in front of the dumbbells and get out of the power rack. Unless you're squatting, doing rack deads, barbell rows, rack presses, or shrugs...get out. I love it when I put 315 on the bar for a set of 10 and I get looks as if I'm doing something wrong. For a guy my size and amount of training, (~245 and 6+ years of training (off and on)), that's not a whole lot. I put on my headphones, crank the music on my iPod and get in and get out. I didn't come to talk, I came to work. God I have to find a hardcore gym where I live. 24 Fitness is killing me. :rant: :frustrate

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
My old gym was a spa in Sedona..it f'ing sucked. Retirees and tourists doing tai chi in the power rack..arrrrgg!

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
My old gym was a spa in Sedona..it f'ing sucked. Retirees and tourists doing tai chi in the power rack..arrrrgg!
I couldn't even imagine man, that sounds like it sucked. And I'm sure that if you tried to ask to use the rack, they got all pissy. "Can I use the power rack?" "I'm doing Tai Chi." "Well Tai Chi your ass to an aerobics room and get out of the power rack. ":smite:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
"Could you please go do your 500 reps of 2 pound curls outside of the safety cage? It is here to prevent me from being crushed under 300 pounds of iron should I have an accident."

Yeah, I was not very popular. lol

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I used to not touch the bar all the way to my chest when I first started benching. Now whenever I do flat bench pressing, I always lower the bar to my chest then power it back up. Same thing for declines too...but what do you guys do on the incline? Usually for my first few sets on incline barbell presses I lower the bar to the top of my chest, but when I get to my heaviest (3rd) set I don't lower it all the way to my chest because I feel its more prone to injury....Do all of you guys lower the bar to your chest on incline barbell presses as well?

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
that video was funny i have a couple guys like this at my gym bug as long as they aren't in my way to each their own I'm there to work out not watch them think they are doing something. They are the ones who wont' get anything out of what they are doing while I'll keep growing.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I used to not touch the bar all the way to my chest when I first started benching. Now whenever I do flat bench pressing, I always lower the bar to my chest then power it back up. Same thing for declines too...but what do you guys do on the incline? Usually for my first few sets on incline barbell presses I lower the bar to the top of my chest, but when I get to my heaviest (3rd) set I don't lower it all the way to my chest because I feel its more prone to injury....Do all of you guys lower the bar to your chest on incline barbell presses as well?
For flat and incline, I tend to go down until my arms are at 90 degrees or just a hair more. I used to bring it all the way down to my chest and I would get a horrible pain in my pec-shoulder tie-in from the stretch. So now I stop only a few inches from my chest, but I also use a 4-5 second negative, so I make up for it. :D

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was not very popular. lol
I don't know why, you seem like a nice enough guy. :D Of course, you could have always superglued the 2lb dumbells to whatever rack they were on and see them give themselves a hernia. The last gym I went to had all those dumbbells in a crate in the back corner away from everything...where they belonged. :hammer:

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
For flat and incline, I tend to go down until my arms are at 90 degrees or just a hair more. I used to bring it all the way down to my chest and I would get a horrible pain in my pec-shoulder tie-in from the stretch. So now I stop only a few inches from my chest, but I also use a 4-5 second negative, so I make up for it. :D

Oh, I know what you mean about that pec/delt tie in pain at the bottom of inclines. I was having that a couple weeks ago. At first I thought that it was an old rotator cuff irritation I had gotten over a few months back returning, but now I think it might have been the tendon that goes from the bicep up to the shoulder. It feels like its deep in your rotator cuff, but you also feel it on heavy curls, and at the pec/delt tie in's on incline BB and DB presses. It's a frustrating injury. I didnt take any time off though. I just temporarily dropped the weight down to about 80% of what Id been using for the given rep range for all exercies that affected it, and built up slowly. I also warmed up extra slowly. (Im in the middle of my first GH cycle so thats probably helping the tendons/joints. But no AAS for the last 5 weeks.)
You ever feel like the shoulders are straining on your first couple sets of squats? Like theyre straining to go back that far to hold the bar in place? I got that too. I have to stretch them alot and warm up slow.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I know what you mean about that pec/delt tie in pain at the bottom of inclines. I was having that a couple weeks ago. At first I thought that it was an old rotator cuff irritation I had gotten over a few months back returning, but now I think it might have been the tendon that goes from the bicep up to the shoulder. It feels like its deep in your rotator cuff, but you also feel it on heavy curls, and at the pec/delt tie in's on incline BB and DB presses. It's a frustrating injury. I didnt take any time off though. I just temporarily dropped the weight down to about 80% of what Id been using for the given rep range for all exercies that affected it, and built up slowly. I also warmed up extra slowly. (Im in the middle of my first GH cycle so thats probably helping the tendons/joints. But no anabolic steroids for the last 5 weeks.)
You ever feel like the shoulders are straining on your first couple sets of squats? Like theyre straining to go back that far to hold the bar in place? I got that too. I have to stretch them alot and warm up slow.
Squats really aren't as bad for me. I put my hands so wide that I really don't feel it. I still warm them up a bit, but the strain on my shoulders during squats is nothing like it is during bench and the day after. I try to massage it a bit to get some circulation going and it feels like someone is jabbing a knife in my delt. It sucks hardcore. :(

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that does suck. Guess we all gotta work with in the ROM are body will allow on whatever exercises were doing. Like for instance I have a hard time going more than parrallel or an inch or so past parrallel on squats because of my height. (6ft 5 w/ the shoes on) I had to work on my technique for a long time just to get to where I can go THAT low. I cant do the ATF w/out puting my back and knees in precarious postitions and puting myself seriously off balance. However it's not pain related like the incline press deal. But I think for me the shoulder pain is/was a transitory thing (I hope) and will/has been subside/(ing). (knock on wood.) Ive been going deep on incline DB press, and it seems to be improving for now. I think going lighter and/or subfailure gave that tendon time to heal. (Thank God for GH though.)

Shock133

Awards
My inclines come to about 3-4 inches above my chest. It's more a question of physiology with me rather than lack of motivation or inability.

TexN343

Awards
I use half reps at heavy weight to get past a sticking point with less weight a full range. They are not a staple in my workout tho.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LOL, when I was at my most waterlogged post contest, I went to the gym to do some BB flat bench. The bar stopped itself when my arms reach parallel. As in stopped completely. At the bottom of the motion, I actually had to PULL on the bar to try to get it to go down further but it didn't work, lol. I said to myself "so this is what having a bench shirt is like."

After dropping a good 12 pounds of waterweight though, my range of motion has gotten better.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
So he does a chest exercise, then celebrates by flexings his bi's?