Lower back tightness with Deadlifts

jjm

jjm

Awards
I noticed when I do deadlifts that my lower right back gets noticeably more tighter than my lower left. Is there any reasoning behind this? It's been doing this since I started deadlifting. (3 months)

Also, I have a pain in my lower back that I got from deadlifting. I got it on my last set. I was lifting somewhat heavy and I know my form wasn't totally perfect, but form tends to suffer when you lift heavier.

Anyway I only feel the pain when I make my lower back concave, if that makes sense, and also when I do decline situps. The pain is to the right of my spine, and it feels like its actually on my lower back muscle.

I know on my last set when I was at the peak of my lift I concaved my back, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway, since then I haven't deadlifted and I've had the pain for about a week. It hasn't gotten better or worse, it's stayed the same.

I understand no one on here is a dr, but does this sound like disk pain or something of the like, or did I just strain a muscle?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Well overarching can be as guilty a culprit as loose form. Typically loose abdominals or abs that are severly overpowered by the lower back cause this. Its beat to keep your back straight so to keep the weight distribution evenly over the several vertabrae. By going "concave" you are stressing the vertabrae in the middle of the curve, this puts all the strain on a two or three vertabrae and can be dangerous. Go lighter either start doing abs or 1) add sets to your ab workout 2) go heavier on ab day. A disk problem would be very obvious if your walking and breathing comfortably its most likely a muscle issue. IMO is all boils down to abs they need to work in conjunction equally with your lower back to maintain stabilization and proper posture.

jjm

jjm

Awards
Well overarching can be as guilty a culprit as loose form. Typically loose abdominals or abs that are severly overpowered by the lower back cause this. Its beat to keep your back straight so to keep the weight distribution evenly over the several vertabrae. By going "concave" you are stressing the vertabrae in the middle of the curve, this puts all the strain on a two or three vertabrae and can be dangerous. Go lighter either start doing abs or 1) add sets to your ab workout 2) go heavier on ab day. A disk problem would be very obvious if your walking and breathing comfortably its most likely a muscle issue. IMO is all boils down to abs they need to work in conjunction equally with your lower back to maintain stabilization and proper posture.
Yeah I can breathe and walk fine, as long as I don't make my lower back concave while walking.

For my ab routine I do decline situps, weighted crunches, and leg lifts. I do 3 sets of 15 reps for each exercise.

Basically I'm going to avoid deadlifts until my back is healed up, however long that should take. But since I felt the pain on decline situps should I avoid doing those as well?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I messed my back up on the lower left side doing heavy trap bar deads. The root cause for the injury was the fact that my sacrum is higher on the left side than the right. Until this gets worked out by stretching and chiros, I'm taking time off from deads as I've been in pain on and off for 7 months and it gets worse if I try any form of dead. Oh well, I can live without them.