Lifting at night slowing gains?

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So, this really had me thinking today. Of course, lifting at night is no different then lifting in the day for the most part, nothing is physiollogically different in terms of the actual work.

Well, it just so happens that my work schedule permits me to work out only at night. I would be able to lift mornings but my metabolism is so slow getting kicked into gear that I have horrible workouts within 4 hours of waking. So, I lift nights, usually after work. Get home then have a shake and some carbs and if things permit, I will eat something else, lean protein of some sort.

Usually, my post workout meal time-slot is very constrained and it makes perfectly good sense that my muscles may not be having enough replishment after lifting.

My question is, do you guys think I'll have better all around gains if I can lift during the day, giving my body several hours to feed after lifting. Or, do you think that me lifting at night and having a shake and carbs then going to sleep is OK? I'm really starting to think not.

I figure lifting earlier in the day could also give my metabolism a kick.

thoughts? suggestions?

Currently, I working out on a modified Max-OT style program 4x a week. It's going phenomenal. I'm doing my best to cut for summer but mainly concentrating on maintaining muscle.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've worked out at night for the past 14-16 months. And by night im talking 9:00, when I go to bed around 12:00.
I have lost at least 12 percent body fat and gained 10-12 pounds muscle. This is from being a low-mid 30's body fat % fat ass though. When you are that out of shape its not as hard to make progress. But since my overall goal is fat loss im not concerned about consuming anything other than CEE, and a protein shake with small amounds of carbs after my workout.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I don't think working out at night is a problem, but I know what you mean about limited time for food post workout. I'm in the same situation. Try bringing your post-workout shake/food to the gym with you and consume during or before the car ride home. I usually have my 2nd meal about 90 min. later. Cottage cheese, etc. Sometimes it is in the form of this shake: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/recipes/43198-experiment-protein-ice-cream.html
Just tweak the ingredients to fit your needs.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
LBM preservation is always key. I'm going to try to start lifting during the afternoon, giving my muscles the rest of the day to feed.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't think working out at night is a problem, but I know what you mean about limited time for food post workout. I'm in the same situation. Try bringing your post-workout shake/food to the gym with you and consume during or before the car ride home. I usually have my 2nd meal about 90 min. later. Cottage cheese, etc. Sometimes it is in the form of this shake: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/recipes/43198-experiment-protein-ice-cream.html
Just tweak the ingredients to fit your needs.
Good idea, Wolf. I think I'll start trying that out. I really do have my best workouts at night. I mean, if its all you can do, then its all you can do. But, getting in food for 6 hours after lifting (you would think) is better than getting in food for 2 hours after lifting.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Good idea, Wolf. I think I'll start trying that out. I really do have my best workouts at night. I mean, if its all you can do, then its all you can do. But, getting in food for 6 hours after lifting (you would think) is better than getting in food for 2 hours after lifting.
Oops, just realized I gave you the wrong recipe. Should be: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/41745-whole-foods-does-shake-qualify.html

As for the amount of food consumed after training, I believe Bobo once told me that by far the most important thing is creating a positive nitrogen balance over the course of the entire day. So it might not matter as much as we tend to think.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oops, just realized I gave you the wrong recipe. Should be: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/41745-whole-foods-does-shake-qualify.html

As for the amount of food consumed after training, I believe Bobo once told me that by far the most important thing is creating a positive nitrogen balance over the course of the entire day. So it might not matter as much as we tend to think.
I was going to tell you: I'm fat enough you jerk, I don't need your damn ice cream! :hammer:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
You might be surprised. I think you can tweak the ice cream so that it is ok on diet too. The only reason the fats are so high is b/c it has almonds and EVOO. You can eliminate either one. You can cut the oatmeal and the skim milk out completely, which would get the carbs way down.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Whenever I train at night I can not sleep for the life of me. CAuses me to drag ass at work the next day

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Interesting......

A quick update: Yo Be, your advice works beautifully. I start to drink my shake first thing once I hit my car, by the time I get home I'm finished with my shake (and usually a banana), then I'll wait about 30 mins and have some chicken or tuna. Thanks for the idea buddy, sometimes something so simple is the answer.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey Rage, my thoughts.

Unless you are looking to contest, I'd do what you like doing best. It's possible that working out eariler could improve your gains, but at what cost? If you're happy with your current progress and schedule, then I definitaly wouldn't mess it up and make life more difficult.

I enjoy being in the gym later when it isn't packed, also :)

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I don't think working out at night is a problem, but I know what you mean about limited time for food post workout. [\quote]

Great point. Post workout nutrition doesnt end with a shake when ur leaving the gym.