My new split. Tell me what you think

satan

Awards
I am cutting right now and on top of this I do cardio four days a week for 45 minutes on a stair climber. I've been training for close to seven years now. I workout at home and only have a bench with a leg extension/curl attatchment and of course dumbbells and barbells. I have no squat rack however or pull up/dip station so I am limited in what I can work with. Anyhow this is the split I have come up with. Tell me your opinions.

Back/Legs

deadlift 3 x12,10,8
Bent Row 3 x 12,10,8
Shrugs 2 x 10
Dumbbell squats 3 x 12,10,8
Leg extension 2 x 10
Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 12,10,8
Lying leg curl 2 x 10
Single leg calf raise 3 x 12,10,8

Abs/Shoulders/neck

Weighted Crunch 3 x 25
Weighted Reverse Crunch 3 x 25
Side bends 2 x 20
Overhead Press 3 x 12,10,8
Upright rows 3 x 12,10,8
Neck Extension 1 x 8
Neck flexion 1 x 8

Chest/arms

Flat bench press 3 x 12,10,8
Incline bench press 3 x 12,10,8
Flat fly 2 x 10
incline fly 2 x 10
closegrip bench press 3 x 12,10,8
bench dips 2 x 10
straight bar curl 3 x 12,10,8
hammer curls 2 x 10
wrist curl 1 x 8
reverse wrist curl 1 x 8

Anyhow, hows it look?

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I think back and legs is a lot to ask of your body. Those are the 2 largest muscle groups and you're doing them on the same day. Do you almost pass out during this workout?

2cAnnons

Awards
why dont you split back and legs into 2 days then you would have a 4 day split.
add dumbbell rows and pull downs with the barbell rows and you can have a nice back day.

SlateDrake

Awards
Bump on some good advise.

I personally need to keep at least 3 days inbetween my back and leg workouts.

Usually I'll do legs on monday and back on friday.

Squats and Deads on the same day? Oh god...I'd be a mess.

crazypete

Awards
3 sets of horizontal back exercises vs how many of chest? also shoulder pressing and how many pull ups?

it seems that you are overly focused on the front half of your upper body. perhaps you want to be. if not, here are some recomendations:

- match horizontal back exercises with chest, and vertical back with shoulders. do the weak one first and do more volume for the weak part. or you could put pushing and pulling exercises in different workouts.

- do a quad day and a hamstrings day. whichever is the weak part will be done first in the week

- for quads you can do one legged squats with the rear leg on the bench, this is great for balance and strength. do the weak side first.

- if your leg extension/leg curl is one of those flimsy attachments, don't bother, if it is decent, you can use it time to time

sample workout (assumption that low back, hamstrings, upper back are weaker than opposing muscles - this is true for most people)

day 1: hamstrings, calves and lower abs
bent leg deadlift (powerlifting type) 5x5 - no need to go to failure here or you might not finish; romanian deadlift 2x8-12 - low weight, really feel the stretch in the hamstrings and work on form and time under tension 3 seconds down, 2 up, if you are advanced, try a good morning instead; 2x6-8 leg curls if you want as heavy as you can handle for the reps at 1 second up (explosive), pause, 4 seconds down;standing calf raises 2x8-10 with 1 second up, 3 seconds down, superset these with hanging leg raises (make sure you tilt your pelvis and not just lift your legs - kind of like when you are thrusting during sex!) if you can't keep your legs straight then bend the knees - 2xas many reps as you can, add a set each week to this superset for 3 weeks, then change your program (ask nicely, i'm not charging till i get my CSCS later this year)

day 2: chest, horizontal back, external rotators, upper abs, biceps
external rotators 2x10-12, add a set a week (find an exercise, but do this first before the row and pressing); bent over row 5x8-12 supersetted with incline db press 2x8-12 and 2x8-12 flat bench - so row, incline db, row, incline db, row, bench, row, bench, row - take 3-4 seconds to lower weight and 1-2 to lift (lift faster if you want more performance gains or are advanced, slower if you want size or are not advanced - this will allow you to use better form and really teach your muscles proper movement); standing db curls supersetted with crunches 2x8-12 add a set each week if you can do more than 12 crunches, either you are cheating or your upper abs are strong, so find a way to make them harder, i use a medicine ball held out in my arms extented straight up over my head - parallel to floor at start; if your upper back is weaker than chest, do an extra 2-3 sets of rows with the opposite motion of the bench - keep your elbows up, really focus on feeling the movement, we are not worried about the weight so much here, 3 seconds up and 3 down, 8-12 reps, whatever you want

day3: off

day4: quads, calves, lower back, obliques, traps
one legged squats with other leg back on bench, do weaker leg first, you will know by the end of the first set which it is, if the difference is big, do two less reps per set with strong leg, 4 sets x 10 reps 3 seconds down, 1-2seconds up; front squats 2x8-12 reps, add a set a week if you want, 3 seconds down, 3 up; seated calf raise 2x8-12 supersetted with supermans same reps (lie down face first, stretch arms over head, then lift upper body and lower body at same time - your flying like superman - try to hold for 2 seconds, if your from fails, stop the set) add a set every 2 weeks; dumbell shrug supersetted with standing side crunches 2x8, shrugs fast up, slow down - read shrug thread, side crunches, grab dumbell in one hand, go full range side to side using your obliques 3 seconds each way, do other side, really watch that your range of motion is only due to lower torso bending sideways while all other parts stay still relative to each other. add a set a week.

day5: shoulders, vertical back, twisting abs, external rotators, triceps
external rotators 3x8-12, different exercise than on day2; pullup or chin supersetted with db press, 4xas many pullup as you can do - if more than 10 on last set, hold db between thighs for added resistance, db press 3x8-12, 1-2seconds up, 3-4 dwn for both; lateral raise 2x8-10 3 seconds both ways, add a set a week, superset with dips for tris - same speed, keep body vertical and head up, shoulders back, pay attention to the position that hits your tris best, its alittle different in everyone; russian twist - hold a dumbell in your hands while you sit on the floor, your upper body should be about 90 degrees to your thighs, knees bent, slowly move the db side to side bending around the waist, 3 seconds each way, use lower weight than you think you need, 2-3 sets is good

day6: off

day7: off

notes: obviously you must not have any problems/injuries; warm up for 10 min before, do one or two warm up sets with less weight to get feel, also use less reps than work sets so you don't tire out; stretch after training, basically tight parts, which tend to be chest, low back, hams, calves, hip flexors (i'll post specifics if anyone wants), cool down with light cardio for 10 min, ie: walking quickly; finally FORM IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WEIGHT LIFTED

cheers, pete

satan

Awards
Ok, I've made some changes. Just remember though that I don't have a squat rack, pull up station, or pull down attatchment. I am still keeping a three day split as that is what works best for my schedule. I have now seperated back and legs. Anyhow, here is the new split.

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Neck
*Flat Bench Press 3 x 12,10,8
*Incline Bench Press 3 x 12,10,8
*Flat Fly 2 x 10
*Incline Fly 2 x 10
*Overhead Press 3 x 12,10,8
*Upright Row 2 x 10
*Close grip bench press 3 x 12,10,8
*Bench Dips 2 x 10
*Neck Flexion 1 x 8
*Neck Extension 1 x 8

Quads/Hams/Calves/Abs
*Dumbbell Squat 3 x 12,10,8
*Leg Extension 2 x 10
*Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 x 12,10,8
*Lying Leg Curl 2 x 10
*Single Leg Calf Raise 2 x 15
*weighted Crunch 3 x 25
*Weighted reverse crunch 3 x 25
*Side bends 2 x 20

Back/Traps/biceps/forearms
*Deadlift 3 x 12,10,8
*Bent Row 3 x 12,10,8
*One arm row 2 x 10
*Shrugs 2 x 10
*Straight bar curl 3 x 12,10,8
*Alternate arm curl 2 x 10
*Wrist curl 1 x 8
*Reverse wrist curl 1 x 8

crazypete

Awards
my bad, i misread the pullup bar, dip part. i would suggest one of those chinning bars your can hang in a door frame. also you are doing way more for chest and shoulder pressing than the opposing pulling exercises. if you want to hit quads harder, the one legged squat is great.

cheers, pete

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
I'd also suggest adding in front squats and even parallel squats with barbell even if its just for explosion (lower reps and lower weight)...IMO dumbell squats really don't cut it. Pete is right that one legged squats are much better. Personally I think leg extensions are **** and screw up my bad knees worse than anything. I'd do walk sits before extensions, but thats just me. Also, like pete said, get a pullup bar

crazypete

Awards
if anyone wants to know more about the low rep, light explosive weight workouts, i suggest reading some of louie simmons' articles, they are under the articles collection, just scroll down on this page:

www.elitefts.com

cheers, pete

motleybreu

Awards
good posts crazypete...i might have to try that workout schedule myself hehe

crazypete

Awards
thanks, like i said, the routine is favouring the back side of the body to remove muscle imbalances that exist in most people (i hear guys in the gym whine about bench not going up, these are usually the guys who don't do much back). the routine can be tweaked to any individual's needs quite easily. as one can see, most of the workout is possible without alot of equipment.

if anyone wants to discus routines, i'm more than happy to

cheers, pete

Panther06

Awards
Always looking for comments on my routine!

mon
bench4x10,10,8,6
Incline 4x10,10,8,6
decline 3x10,10,x8
incline flys 2x10
flys 3x10

tuesday
chins 3x fatigue
barbell row4x10
deadlift 4x8
Lat pull 3x10,10,8
back extension 4x25