HIIT running: Am I hardcore yet?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know this sounds like such a childish and narcissistic question, but I needed to put a topic that would grab attention.

Simply put, I am still new to HIIT running/sprinting, having only done it last summer for a short while before winter, and I just started up again a couple months ago with my new gym membership.

I just want to know at what point is a good HIIT running workout considered to be really hardcore? I mean, what does the average person do? How long and at what speeds can the average person go for? Compared to someone who is more than average, pushing themselves more than most.

Reason I am asking is that I hit my personal best yesterday, 12 minutes, alternating between 4 and 6.5 MPH for the entire time. Let me tell you, when I got done I felt like I had really pushed myself and I couldn't imagine doing anything more intense than that, at least at my level. My girlfriend was on an elliptical in the same room and she said when I hit 6.5MPH the treadmill was whining so loud and my legs were moving so fast she thought something bad was going to happen. I have never even sprinted over 6.2MPH before, let alone 6.5MPH as part of an HIIT routine.

So...am I finally achieving HIIT running greatness, or am I just in awe at doing something for the first time?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Well I can't tell you what the average person does, (because I don't the average person does HIIT, slow and low is what most people do) But hardcore? The UFC fighters on that show TUF. They had to do a PT test prior to the show. And I think the test was a 30min HiiT routine. Alternating between level 3 and level 10 for the entire 30min...I think? I'll see if can find it. But I do remeber thinking that I would die if I had to do it for 5-6 min.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know this sounds like such a childish and narcissistic question, but I needed to put a topic that would grab attention.

Simply put, I am still new to HIIT running/sprinting, having only done it last summer for a short while before winter, and I just started up again a couple months ago with my new gym membership.

I just want to know at what point is a good HIIT running workout considered to be really hardcore? I mean, what does the average person do? How long and at what speeds can the average person go for? Compared to someone who is more than average, pushing themselves more than most.

Reason I am asking is that I hit my personal best yesterday, 12 minutes, alternating between 4 and 6.5 MPH for the entire time. Let me tell you, when I got done I felt like I had really pushed myself and I couldn't imagine doing anything more intense than that, at least at my level. My girlfriend was on an elliptical in the same room and she said when I hit 6.5MPH the treadmill was whining so loud and my legs were moving so fast she thought something bad was going to happen. I have never even sprinted over 6.2MPH before, let alone 6.5MPH as part of an HIIT routine.

So...am I finally achieving HIIT running greatness, or am I just in awe at doing something for the first time?
As long as it is working for you, your burning calories/fat then it really doesn't matter what anyone else does. But if you want a comparison I alternate between 4.5-10, but when I was in high school I could run under a 5 minute mile. But like I said, if it works for you that is what's important mang.

Doomsday

Awards
Well I can't tell you what the average person does, (because I don't the average person does HIIT, slow and low is what most people do) But hardcore? The UFC fighters on that show TUF. They had to do a PT test prior to the show. And I think the test was a 30min HiiT routine. Alternating between level 3 and level 10 for the entire 30min...I think? I'll see if can find it. But I do remeber thinking that I would die if I had to do it for 5-6 min.
That would be interesting to see. Hope you find it.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I used to do HIT cardio years ago. The fastest I would go would be 12mph for 1 minute, then 3.6 mph for 4, and to that about 3 times for a total of 15 minutes....4 days a week..helped me get down to 5.5% bf. I doubt I could do that now though.

And I'll reiterate the whole "average person" reply, most don't do HIIT cardio at all, so just doing it, and knowing what your doing is hardcore in and of itself.

h19

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I used to do HIT cardio years ago. The fastest I would go would be 12mph for 1 minute, then 3.6 mph for 4, and to that about 3 times for a total of 15 minutes....4 days a week..helped me get down to 5.5% bf. I doubt I could do that now though.

And I'll reiterate the whole "average person" reply, most don't do HIIT cardio at all, so just doing it, and knowing what your doing is hardcore in and of itself.

h19
Sorry to get the thread but Hamp your back is looking solid, man.

And I will see if I can find it.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. Yeah I realize some people run faster, but for someone who has never liked running and is built more bulky than a runner's build, it was quite the rush for me. I am only going to improve from there!! I need to get used to running (trust me, I am not doing HIIT for fun!) because I want to complete a special military course later this year, so only time will tell just how much more I can crank up the intensity.

Wow I can only hope that someday I can go from 3 to 10MPH! That's insane! But I like to give myself a good ass-kicking, so I will actually see if I can approach that someday.

Mason

Awards
I think that is very good for you. I do 30 secs on 12mph and 90 secs on 3mph and keep doing that for 20 minutes. I am also 15, 175 and do wrestling so I run alot. I'm sure you will be able to do 3-10 soon as long as you are serious.

lngbrdr

Awards
I run 5k's for fun, and for the fact that I am trying to beat my bro someday in one but that is a long way off. Just what ever you do try and slowly go a little bit longer or faster just so you progress. I myself dont really do hiit as i am trying to increase my endurance but just for an example I started at 6mph for maybe 2 miles 5 months ago and I was dead, now last week i did 8.3 mph for 3 miles then 10.5 for another quarter mile. Compared to people who run that isnt really that fast like my bro who ran a 5k(3.1 miles) in 18:30, but someday ill beat him.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
OK Longboarder you sound like the kind of person I need to talk to, that was a great insightful response, I can tell you know what I mean.

Hmm, I think I will just start another thread now...going to snip what I wrote above...