Getting the rear trap?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hard to phrase the question right but as i've gone months training traps i've noticed that i'm getting thickness and height but I can't get that 'lump' of sorts to where you can tell from the back. I thought it was maybe a body fat % thing but I started noticing guys with much more fat than me still have them.

So the question is what causes that lift in the back? is it certain exercises or genetics? If it's the first please throw in some trap routines you guys use that have those massive traps :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is slightly genetic in the sense the peak from the back has to do with muscle origins/insertions. For traps focus on heavy deads and cleans.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would you let your shoulders fully extend when coming up on the deadlift or do you keep them back a bit?

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
It is slightly genetic in the sense the peak from the back has to do with muscle origins/insertions. For traps focus on heavy deads and cleans.
Big bump to that. Although I feel direct trap work does help (BB shrugs, DB shrugs) I feel the absolute best exercise is heavy heavy heavy deads. Dont forget about the close grip upright rows..they do wonders too

Markio

Markio

Awards
behind the back shrugs are what you need here I believe.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would you let your shoulders fully extend when coming up on the deadlift or do you keep them back a bit?
On the eccentric part, let the shoulders slightly roll forward, but bring them back together at the top of the motion.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I remember reading in M&F a while back about using wide-grip cable rows to chest to hit rear traps. It feels like it works. I do these every other week.

Rack deads are also a good way to overload your traps. I'd say you can pull 30-40% more weight.

1ad man

Banned
Awards
barbell shrugs and heavy deadlifts. I like behind the back barbell shrugs people dont realize that the traps are located in the back not front so i think lee haney also suggested that behind the back shrugs and heavy deads are the answer. I like upright rows as well.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Like everyone's been saying - deadlifts are all you need man. Going from the rack as has already been mentioned is a good idea too, just below knee height is fine.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I see most guys trying to train traps by shrugging their shoulders to their ears. I personally dont develop nice side/rear profile thickness this way. I use whatever means (deads, shrugs, rack deads, rear flyes) to build trap thickness. As long as you realise they contract back not to your ears, using this form will expand and contract them, how you chose to do it is a matter of personal preference. I need to keep my shoulders down and pull back with the load in the more front region compared to the pulling muscle. If my muscle needs to pull back then i find any apparatus to allow that to happen effectively. when doing deads if i try to shrug the weight on the way up it works better than trying to shrug at the top, but that is just me. good luck

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Much appreciated fellas. I'll start incorporating these things and come back later on and let you know how they're working:thumbsup:

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
take a slightly bent over stance when doing BB shrugs. The weight will be a bit less but you will begin to feel it more in the back part of the traps as opposed to the top.

I've been doing this for a while now and its working well.

I've seen people who do zero deadlifts in their life who have great back trap separation. I would not say deads as the core reason for this type of development and this coming from someone who loves to deadlift.

Sometimes is all about finding a varation in a movement to target a specific area better for you.

powerlifter6920

I have very well developed traps. I think it is a genetic thing, dealing with the insertion points of the muscle. Kind of like how I have decent arm size, but I don't think I'll ever be able to get a killer biceps peak like some guys can.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts/rack pulls
Any olympic pull
Behind the back BB shrugs
Reverse flyes on 45' angle incline
DB shrugs on incline bench (laying on stomach)
Rows to chest/neck
Band pull-aparts

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts/rack pulls
Any olympic pull
Rows to chest/neck
Band pull-aparts
I give most of the credit to behind the back BB shrugs. But I also think it has a lot to do with genetics. I do not do deads a lot, allthough I think i definately should, and I have pretty decent traps. I also do close grip upright rows as well. All of the suggestions given here are great though, and should defiantely help you improve them!

YonkersCBR954

Banned
Awards
I give most of the credit to behind the back BB shrugs. But I also think it has a lot to do with genetics. I do not do deads a lot, allthough I think i definately should, and I have pretty decent traps. I also do close grip upright rows as well. All of the suggestions given here are great though, and should defiantely help you improve them!
your traps look more than decent from what i see in the pic in your avatar ...i like the rows the the chest or shoulders than were mentioned ...im going to incorporate them into my shoulder routine ...and really work to get a good contraction while im doing them ....also the upright rows are great too ....

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
I seem to have a problem with trap height. My traps sucked horribly to begin with because of genetics and growing up quite skinny till a couple years ago when i started bulking. I seem to be getting decent thickness from cable rows. Could anyone recommend the best exercise for Heightening traps?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
FYI, I did rack deads for the first time in a long time yesterday. My traps are in some serious pain today, especially the rear traps where it ties in with other back muscles.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
take a slightly bent over stance when doing BB shrugs. The weight will be a bit less but you will begin to feel it more in the back part of the traps as opposed to the top.

I've been doing this for a while now and its working well.

I've seen people who do zero deadlifts in their life who have great back trap separation. I would not say deads as the core reason for this type of development and this coming from someone who loves to deadlift.

Sometimes is all about finding a varation in a movement to target a specific area better for you.
This sounds like some sound advice for a guy who DOESNT have natural traps and who needs to train smart. I think some bodys have certain mucles that if unaltered will do most of the lifting for most of the movements. Teaching yourself to train smart enough to bybass poor genetics and forcing them to grow like house man suggested.

Samson4

Samson4

Awards
High Pulls work best for traps. You'll think they didn't work untill the next morning when you try to pull on you pants.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts/rack pulls
Any olympic pull
Rows to chest/neck
Band pull-aparts
BUMP my man Nate... nailed it.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
high pulls -but- you are limited to intensity,

i like BB throws ( mostly done outside ) thrown up as high as you can and let go, str8 up.

or Kettle bell overheads throws for distance( KB thrown behind you, thrown over your head by swinging between your legs)
THESE WILL WELD YOUR UPPER BACK TOGETHER, and the single reason my traps have grown to stick out past my shoulder blades and lats.

not to mention help me break into the 500's DL AND SQUAT
by strengthening my upper structure.

HEAVY DEADS FOR SURE!!!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just picked up a new lift a fellow gym goer showed me that has huge traps and shoulders. He does behind the back upright rows in conjuction with regular upright rows on the smith machine. Only 135-15 pounds at 10 reps each for 20 reps to equal one set.

I've done this twice now and can actually feel it in my rear traps. It'll take a bit to see some good results but since i've added deadlifts, upright rows and shrugs at different angles i've already noticed some change in a few weeks.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
FYI, I did rack deads for the first time in a long time yesterday. My traps are in some serious pain today, especially the rear traps where it ties in with other back muscles.
Rack deads were what I was going to suggest too...pulling from right below, or about knee level.
Chest supported t-bar rows seemed to hit my upper back really well too...including the traps. Agreed that some of it's genetic, but to make the most of what you have, I like these two movements.

giddyup

Awards
Ever tried powerclean or hangclean? I know when I do any type of clean I get extreme dom's throughout my whole traps.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
behind the back bb shrugs on a smith machine work very well for me.