Ok guys, toss out the weight!

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
How much weight do you guys curl with (ez-bar or straight bar)... Not max weight, set/rep weight..... I'm around 75-80 lbs 4 sets x 8-10 reps.... I just want to see how far I'm behind others,... Not to mention I'll be 41 in two weeks... That gives me an excuse!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You aren't that far behind, I only do 90, or if I am DB curling I do 50 x 8 for 4 sets...My weights have finally comeback after a 3 month layoff though...

C

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
finally doing the straight bar with 45s for 8... my life long dream was to ask a guy doing bench if he was done with the weight so i can hop in and do some curls.... hahaha never did it, though, would look like the biggest prick!
cc

You aren't that far behind, I only do 90, or if I am DB curling I do 50 x 8 for 4 sets...My weights have finally comeback after a 3 month layoff though...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice guy, that's where I want to be in 5-6 mnths.And you mean 45's on the bench bar too eh?..As you can see am a little smaller than most, but when I get a pump I look pretty ripped, so alot of the time I goto the gym in hoodie and do something similar to that..Some guy who is twice my size will be using the 50's for bench or DB shoulder press and I'll use them for curls..

C

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
yep on the bench bar... 135lbs. The heavy weight will come, takes time was plateaued for so long stuck at 125lbs.
cc

Nice guy, that's where I want to be in 5-6 mnths.And you mean 45's on the bench bar too eh?..As you can see am a little smaller than most, but when I get a pump I look pretty ripped, so alot of the time I goto the gym in hoodie and do something similar to that..Some guy who is twice my size will be using the 50's for bench or DB shoulder press and I'll use them for curls..

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
How much weight do you guys curl with (ez-bar or straight bar)... Not max weight, set/rep weight..... I'm around 75-80 lbs 4 sets x 8-10 reps.... I just want to see how far I'm behind others,... Not to mention I'll be 41 in two weeks... That gives me an excuse!
Beowulf posted a thread containing a bunch of videos from the "Fit Show" I think? There is a guy doing an arm workout on there. Watch that video. He talks about not going real heavy on curls and NOT incorporating your front delts by raising the weight higher than it needs to go. Great videos. I learned some new moves for the gym. Go check them out. I was at 90 lbs. for 8 but now I'm going to go lighter and fry those suckers.

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
who cares what someone else lifts?

Is this in the Powerlifting forum? Nope. So who cares?

I train for maxium muscle development. Not for strength. Yes, there is a difference.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
the guy that started the thread.:blink:

anyhoo, straight bar curls with no elbow movement or swinging, i can get up like 125 for 8 or something, hurts my wrists something fierce. ez curl bar, i think it was around 145 or so for 8. nothing great, i prefer dumbbells.

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

anyhoo, straight bar curls with no elbow movement or swinging, i can get up like 125 for 8 or something, hurts my wrists something fierce. ez curl bar, i think it was around 145 or so for 8. nothing great, i prefer dumbbells.
I guess I meant, what does it matter though?

Its all relative isn't it?

Does it matter what I lift vs. what you lift? All that matter is how a person is progressing in their training. Not what someone else is doing. That's what I meant.

To each their own I guess and you're right, the guy in question wanted to know.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
80lb BB suplinated grip, no elbow movement or back swing for 8 reps.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I prefer DB's as well, as the straight bar curls kill the wrists. I did 65lbsx10x5x3 RP'd with the DB's last night. I slightly lean to the side I curl with, but the cheating is pretty minimal. And just so you all know, the heavier the weight, the harder it is to stay strict. Even the strong, huge guys cheat a little.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i tend to lean to the side a tad too.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established

Is this in the Powerlifting forum? Nope. So who cares?

I train for maxium muscle development. Not for strength. Yes, there is a difference.
Just friendly conversation man, sorry if I offended you.:run:

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just friendly conversation man, sorry if I offended you.:run:
lol

Not at all my man.

But there are always newbies browsing the site and whatnot and I hope they don't start looking to compare their numbers to that of the guy next to them in the gym. I see it all the time in my gym with kids pushing weight they really shouldn't even think about let alone attempt.

That is all :)

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
lol

Not at all my man.

But there are always newbies browsing the site and whatnot and I hope they don't start looking to compare their numbers to that of the guy next to them in the gym. I see it all the time in my gym with kids pushing weight they really shouldn't even think about let alone attempt.

That is all :)
I hear ya man, I have a home gym so I can't compare to anyone.... I tried the gym thing a few years ago but it got to out of control with the youngsters..... I look at it this way.... Congrats to the person who can curl 90, 120 lbs or what ever it is.... I'll probably never get there at my age, but as long as I see progress in size and some strength, I'm happy..... Could you imagine if I asked how much you guys could bench press? The range would be from 100 lbs to 500+ lbs.... At least with the curls you can get a closer average.

P

pecs=sexs

Awards

yeah im around 135lbs for 8 but it hurts my wrists some times. i broke my left wrist beinf drunk and falling down the stairs.:icon_lol:

CyberMuscle

CyberMuscle

Awards
145 for 10 with an EZ curl bar. For comparison Jim my father at 53 curls 105 for 12 on the EZ curl bar.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
145 for 10 with an EZ curl bar. For comparison Jim my father at 53 curls 105 for 12 on the EZ curl bar.
I'll have to check myself... I've never checked my max...... While I'm here, I'll check right now..... LOL, I can do 100 lbs 3 times, but not perfect form ( a little rocking motion )...... And yes, my computer is in my gym room.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Damm some of you guys are strong, I go straight bar 95x8 105x8 115x 7 to 8. Max no idea?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have never tried a max rep for bi's as I'm not strength training..That is actual funny you mentioned that because I am not sure about you guys but it has never occured to me to even try a one-rep on the bis...

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I have never tried a max rep for bi's as I'm not strength training..That is actual funny you mentioned that because I am not sure about you guys but it has never occured to me to even try a one-rep on the bis...
Same here, when you say max the first thing you think of is bench and maybe squat.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, kinda seems self-defeating..I like mixing up my squats/bench/deads every once in awhile with some one rep strength training, just to further my progressive load..But I never have with bi's..I don't really care how much I can lift with them, as long as they grow and look good:thumbsup:

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
straight bar curls are my favorite bi exercise

do my sets with 135-145 on the olympic bar

B

Beatmaster

Awards
Well, i'll be 40 and for me it's 100 / 3 x 8

another thing, i prefer good form over heavy weight, result could be the same.

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
straight bar curls are my favorite bi exercise

do my sets with 135-145 on the olympic bar
this may have come across wrong .. 135-145 with the olympic bar (including the 45lbs of the bar in that weight)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
this may have come across wrong .. 135-145 with the olympic bar (including the 45lbs of the bar in that weight)
Yeah...we would have believed that you curl 190 pounds for sets if you hadn't of pointed that out. :D

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Not sure what I can do for reps on barbell or ex bar curls. I have always been putting back and bis together and do all rowing and pulling exercise first so my bis are already fried before i even curl anything. After pull ups, pulldowns, cable rows, and barbell rows I think I curled 105 for 6 or 7 reps on my last set.....

Ryno