Straps for DB Curls? Bob Chick's Take on It

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I found this reality series at bb.com that follows Bob Chick's contest prep for some new show in NY. It shows him training, talking, w/his girl, etc. http://bodybuilding.com/fun/fitshow.htm

When training bis, he says you should use wraps so that you don't tire your arms before you even get to work the target muscle. This does seem to make sense as my grip definitely weakens as I get into my heavier sets. I plan on throwing a forearm/bicep day into my split, so I might have to try this.

BTW, if you see his shoulder day, he works out with Jonny Jackson. JJ does DB lat raises with some massive DB's. I don't know how that guy doesn't place better. I think he has one of the better physiques.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I saw Johnny Jackson at the Arnold HE WAS SCREWED, not only that for EVERY pic he took with a fan on Sat he flexed his biceps, and this was before the NIGHT Show there was no fat anywhere, Johnnie Jackson is a true beast a cool guy. It takes time but he will be noticed. As for Chick, no disrespect but that guys frame is not IFBB pro material, i think they gave him a pro card after competing for 13+ years to get it. He is a great guy otherwise, and very friendly but, I would not take any grip strength advice from him. As the Bi's work in concert with forearms all the time, and with a strap when doing hammers would'nt you defeat the purpose?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I saw Johnny Jackson at the Arnold HE WAS SCREWED, not only that for EVERY pic he took with a fan on Sat he flexed his biceps, and this was before the NIGHT Show there was no fat anywhere, Johnnie Jackson is a true beast a cool guy. It takes time but he will be noticed. As for Chick, no disrespect but that guys frame is not IFBB pro material, i think they gave him a pro card after competing for 13+ years to get it. He is a great guy otherwise, and very friendly but, I would not take any grip strength advice from him. As the Bi's work in concert with forearms all the time, and with a strap when doing hammers would'nt you defeat the purpose?
I definitely want to see JJ succeed.

I agree that Chick does not have a pleasing physique, but he did look good when he got his pro card.

I obviously wouldn't use straps for reverse ez curls or hammers, but for heavy db curls. Part of the reason I want to try this is b/c my arms are lagging way behind my chest, back and delts. I'm looking for a way to tax them harder, and I am doing direct forearm work.

If you watch that prep series, you feel kinda bad for Chick. He tries so hard to glorify his accomplishments, and he won't shut up about his pic being on the wall at Gold's Venice.

He works out with an amateur who basically kisses Bob's ass throughout. Pretty sad.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I have always used straps for db curls and laterals on my heavy sets. It does allow you to go heavier and helps to maintain good form and better hit the target muscle imo.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I have always used straps for db curls and laterals on my heavy sets. It does allow you to go heavier and helps to maintain good form and better hit the target muscle imo.
Did they help you build that puny back too ;)

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Found some new moves for the gym. Thanks Beo.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I used the straps today, and they definitely helped w/ DB curls. I tried them on ez preacher curls, and it didn't help. I'll try on BB curls next time.

Chick also talked about the importance of training inner and outer heads of the bis to create greater separation btwn. bis/tris. Wide hits inner (the bigger part), and narrow hits outer bis. I'm gonna start incorporating this too.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I used the straps today, and they definitely helped w/ DB curls. I tried them on ez preacher curls, and it didn't help. I'll try on BB curls next time.

Chick also talked about the importance of training inner and outer heads of the bis to create greater separation btwn. bis/tris. Wide hits inner (the bigger part), and narrow hits outer bis. I'm gonna start incorporating this too.
I've never tried them with bb movements, just dumbell. I think I would have a hard time getting them to feel right on a straight bar, but I might try that to see if it eases the pressure on my wrists. I know you mentioned hammer curls Beo, but give that a try sometime too. It does take the forearms out a bit, but you're able to really focus on the brachialis. Plus the shock to the muscle from going extra heavy is pretty sweet.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've never tried them with bb movements, just dumbell. I think I would have a hard time getting them to feel right on a straight bar, but I might try that to see if it eases the pressure on my wrists. I know you mentioned hammer curls Beo, but give that a try sometime too. It does take the forearms out a bit, but you're able to really focus on the brachialis. Plus the shock to the muscle from going extra heavy is pretty sweet.
I'll do that. A well-developed brachialis adds a lot of depth and detail to your arm. Plus, I finished the workout with wrist curls and reverse ez curls to hammer my forearms. I've tweaked my split to allow at least a few sets per week of forearm work, that way there is no danger of forearms getting neglected. I'm also going to practice holding weight after deadlifts to work on grip strength.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I like that D.Lift variation Milos does for the Lats. I'm doing it tomorrow.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
holy crap! Was Mario Pudjanowski doing behind the neck presses with 405lbs???!!!! WTF??!!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I just watched that. Crazy. On the DB Presses, he was only using 95s, and I think I only counted 7 reps. Granted, he had just been putting up 405, but I thought he would be doing more. Beelz said he has a video of himself doing something like 130x14

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I just watched that. Crazy. On the DB Presses, he was only using 95s, and I think I only counted 7 reps. Granted, he had just been putting up 405, but I thought he would be doing more. Beelz said he has a video of himself doing something like 130x14
Yeah, I thought that too. Im sure the presses wiped him out though...**** he was 'warming up' with 315.

BV

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was wondering if that was Tom Prince, or some other Tom.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 10
Training Forum 7
AntM1564 Training Forum 12
General Chat 0
R1187 Training Forum 16