Sharing routines...

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I got to shouting with Rivet and WittyName and we were talking splits, so I'm starting this thread. I'm liking my current split a lot, but I'll have to change it sooner or later and both these guys seem to have good splits, with similar TUT-based training (at least Rivet).

Mine is in 2 "weeks"...

Week 1

Week 2

LEGEND
= OR + : Superset, rest after the second
* : Exercise for which the number of reps or sets has been doubled for the spreadsheet to add up time correctly.

This split is doing me lots of good. I actually do this about twice, which takes about a month, then do it again twice, but with 1 less set per exercise, adding rest. Workouts last the same, but I have one month of slightly excessive volume alternating with one month of somewhat light volume. This allows me to stretch my regenerative abilities, and then recuperate from that with the lower volume. I sometimes take a few days to a week off after the high-volume phase.

Currently I am running this with ~maintenance calories and some cardio, essentially maintaining weight and slowly recomposing.

I created this thread to specifically ask Rivet and WittyName to post their routines so we can compare notes, but if you guys want to share, go ahead.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
The Deloading Phase

WEEK 1

WEEK 2

LEGEND

Same as above... :D

So as you can see, it is the same routine as above, adjusted with less sets and more rest.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I got to shouting with Rivet and WittyName and we were talking splits, so I'm starting this thread. I'm liking my current split a lot, but I'll have to change it sooner or later and both these guys seem to have good splits, with similar TUT-based training (at least Rivet).
Mines short and simple split (works the best for me so far). I use TUT at the moment its explosive up (around 2secs) with 4-5 second down.

Day1=Chest/BI
Day2=Legs

Day off

Day 3=Back/Tri
Day 4=Shoulders/traps

At the moment this is the order is use. I switch the order every month on the main compound lifts and I always switch around the iso lifts...

Chest= Inclines 6-7 reps for 4 sets
Flyes 6-7 reps for 4 sets
Flat Bench 6-7 reps for 4 sets

Bis= Spider curls (using the flat side of the preacher curl stand) 6-7 reps for 3 sets

Decline hammer curls 6-7 reps for 3 sets

Stand DB curls 6-7 reps for 3 sets

----------------------------------

Legs:

ATG squats, I do a nice warm up. Then go up in weight a little and do another set. Go up in weight again and again until I see my form slipping. I like to keep it at 4 reps for around 8 sets but IT depends on my mood and energy at the time. I may do 6-8 reps if I have the energy at the end.

I do lower back here as well. I used to do Deadlifts but my gym now sucks for doing them (lack of room) so I've been doing weighted extensions holding a 45lb plate which oddly have given me more definition in my lower back then deads ever did. I do 4 sets of this using around 8-10 reps.

Seated calf press: usually stick to 6 reps for around 5 sets....

Leg curls: 4 reps for 6 sets depending on how much I have left in me...

------------------------------------

Back: its my fave day

Pull-ups: 4 sets of 6-7 reps
DB rows: 4 sets of 6-7 reps
T-bar rows or Hammer strength ISO rows using strict form (I don’t rock back and forth and my body stays straight) 4 sets of 6-8 reps and ending with a drop set

Tri:

Weighted dips: 3 sets of 6-7 reps

Skull crushers: 3 sets of 6-7 reps

Reverse grip triceps pull downs: 3 sets 6-7 reps

------------------------------------

Shoulders/traps

shoulder press: 3 sets of 6-7 reps

Lateral raises: 3 sets 6-7 reps

I hit the rear delts using the pec deck facing the back.

Shrugs: 4 sets of 6-8 reps

depending on mood/room/crowd I will do farmers walks (I love those)

Upright rows: 3 sets of 6-7 reps

--------------------------------------

Not the best but works for me. It took me before a year to add an inch to my calves. Since I started this kind of workout around September I have added another 2 inches to them. I’ve also went down 3% body fat since September while going up in strength following this type of routine and fine tuning my own personal diet needs.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
How long do you take between sets? How long do these workouts last?

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
How long do you take between sets? How long do these workouts last?
I never really time my rests. I just wait till it feels about time. Workouts last me about 60-75mins. Used to be 90mins but that caused me to overtrain and I didnt gain much that year :rasp:

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Seems like a high volume and frequency to me, althouh I'm a HIT guy. You do more volume in a week then I do in 2-3 months. Currently I train once every 6-8 days using ust 2 sets per workout with each set taken to muscular failure. The results have been great, strength has gone up on every exercise each workout and I'm up 3 pounds in the last month. Currently I'm 238 at five feet eight and I have abs :)

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I've done HIT. Strength gains were good, but I got no mass out of it. At ALL. Plus, I found it very boring. Going to the gym twice a week for 8 sets wasn't my cup of tea, although as I get bigger, stronger and older, I'm seeing better results with gradually decreasing volume. Frequency-wise, I'm not sure what you mean, I train every bodypart about once a week except calves. I run the program with a 2on/1off schedule. I believe I would hold much more bodyfat if I trained 3x week like some do...

Anyone else with what they feel is a great med-hi volume routine, please post it. :)

phil216

Awards
  • Established
With the frequency being so high you really do not allow for systemic recovery. While localized recovery may not take longer then a couple of days syatemic recovery takes a bit longer and to train agin before you have even recovered will not allow for growth to occur if you have not even recovered.In addition to that you are really hitting the same muscles in some cases more then once per week when you consider that triceps are hit when you work arms, delts and chest and bis are hit on arm day and back day(close grip pull downs) or that legs are hit during deadlifts on back day and on your normal leg day. As far as not making gains from HIT I would ask the following, were you taking each set to failure? What was your frequency at that point? and how many sets were you doing per workout? As for me HIT is working very well and the only time I will tup he duration is when I'm on "supplements" as my recovery ability is much greater but even then I'm only in the gym three days a week for 15-20 minutes or s a week.

Do you use a stop watch when you train?

Last edited:
Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
If it works for you its all good. For me HIGH volume turns me into a CNS drained zombie. I did do a total body workout doing upper body one day then lower the next then an off day then restart. That was wicked for about 2 weeks then It made me all lethargic :) Did make great strengh gains however....

2fast2live

Awards
Ive found the basic 3 on 1 off split works for me when never doing more than 12 sets per muscle group and using a half pyramid of 12,10,8,6 for a rep range. I only do 3 movements per muscle group sticking to the basic compound exercises.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
If it works for you its all good. For me HIGH volume turns me into a CNS drained zombie. I did do a total body workout doing upper body one day then lower the next then an off day then restart. That was wicked for about 2 weeks then It made me all lethargic :) Did make great strengh gains however....
I don't get you man. I count up to 22 sets per workout in your routine, whereas mine only has over 20 sets in the higher volume part of it, and consistently under 20 sets for the deloading phase. So basically you and I essentially do the same amount of volume, with the same TUT protocol... :) Ah well except I train 5 times a week and you, 4. So I'm using equivalent per-workout volume and up to 20% more weekly volume. I sleep 10 hours whenever I need to... :)

Remember, in the above-posted routines, the * indicate a number of sets or reps that is double the actual amount on some unilateral exercises, to allow the spreadsheet to correctly compute time elapsed. So when it says 8 or 6 sets, it's actually 4 per side... Heck there's a place that has a * and indicates 4 sets, that's 2 per side... Others indicate sets of 16 reps, that is 8 per side. For the most part, this adds up to 20-22 sets per workout on the high-volume part and about 17 sets on the deloading phase...

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I don't get you man. I count up to 22 sets per workout in your routine, whereas mine only has over 20 sets in the higher volume part of it, and consistently under 20 sets for the deloading phase. So basically you and I essentially do the same amount of volume, with the same TUT protocol... :) Ah well except I train 5 times a week and you, 4. So I'm using equivalent per-workout volume and up to 20% more weekly volume. I sleep 10 hours whenever I need to... :)
Hehe I wrote that more for "phil216" then for you. He said that your routine was High Volume :). What I meant was "do whatever works for you". I didnt even look over your routine again when I posted that. As long as you see gains!
And yes are routines are similar.

How long did it take you to get back to pre-TUT lifts after starting TUT? When I had 1st started I had to take off about 10lbs off of most exercises to be able to do TUT. I was pretty happy when I started surpassing pre-tut lifts.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anyone care to evaluate my current routine?

I'm currently lifting of a pyramid routine. This is very new to me and in the past I've never stayed consistent with this type of lifting

I do 4-5 sets from 15 reps down to 6-7 reps. My sets total to about 25 per main body part. On that same day I work out bi's (back day) or tris (chest day), which will include another 10 sets in total for that body part.

My current split is a 4-day (very simple)

Shoulders/Abs/Core
Back/Bis
Chest/Tris
Legs/Abs/Core

Lift days are MWFSu

Speaking of...time for squats

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
OK so this routine of mine was nice. I had been doing it for about 11 weeks when I decided to train heavy for a change. I'd been using the girlie weights and 6s TUT reps since Jan 1st.

To my astonishment, I have gained strength with this routine. I had been eating right about maintenance, lacking in protein and some vitamins some of the time and generally not being very serious about the whole thing.

Now the type of routine I have above is pretty difficult to stay motivated with, because the weights are so small. But it seems to work really well considering my lack of diet discipline.

I am in the process of devising a new routine geared towards pyramiding and low reps, AS WELL AS long-TUT training. I will be using it during my upcoming cut with prostanozol & meo-TRN, T3 and maybe albuterol or, just maybe, clen. In the meantime I am devising a "return to heavy weights" routine which will be sort of a transition to the cycle routine, only 2 weeks away.

I'll post the new routine pretty soon just before I start with it. :)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Please do! I am looking to do something different this coming spring while shreddin down to the bone. :)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am going to start a routine this week that Glenihan posted a few times..I think it is modified DC...I am not recovering lately and I think it is because of all the volume, so I will see how this goes and let ya'll know..

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
In the meantime I am devising a "return to heavy weights" routine which will be sort of a transition to the cycle routine, only 2 weeks away.

Ive been doing TUT since around September and Im still gaining on it. What I do now and then is after a TUT set I will test my gains with a heavy set and its neat :)

Tahq

Awards
Here is my current routine. I run two working sets and then the third set is a DC style Rest/Pause set for most exercises...

The chain lifts are rotated in/out depending on how I'm mixing it up my routine at the time...I made four 25lb chains so I can add up to 100lbs.

Monday A
Bench-Chain
A Press
Skull Crush
Lat Pull
Row

Tuesday B
Preacher Curl
Reverse Curl
Calf Raise
1 1/4 Leg Curl
Leg Extension

Thursday A
Inc Press-Ch
Side Lateral
Close Grip-Ch
Close Pull
Rack Dead

Friday B
Incline Curl
Wrist Curl
Calf Raise
Barbell Lunge
Squat-Ch

Monday A
Decline Fly
High Pull
Tri Pushdown
Shrug
Bent Row

Tuesday B
1 1/4 Curl
R. Cable Curl
Calf Raise
1/14 Leg Curl
Hack Squat

The workout runs me about 50 - 60 minutes depending on my motivation for the day. I also do seperate ab work a few days a week along with cardio, hill climbs on bike, at 30 minutes five days a week.

Fearhk213

Awards
This is a split I've been doing the past month and it's been doing me good. I try an finish each workout in under an hour

Mon: chest/bi's/calves
Tues: quads/abs
Wed: rest
Thurs: shoulders/tri's/traps/calves
Fri: back/rear delts/hams/abs
Sat: off
Sun: off

By the way I've tried doing a search on TUT training but haven't found anything that tells me what it is or what is stands for. Could someone throw up a link or explain it?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
TUT = Time Under Tension. Uses slow negatives.

Fearhk213

Awards
Cool, thanx. Alright, I got the whole negative thing, but how do you apply it in the context being spoken of?
- Do you do the positive portion of the rep at a nice steady pace, and then do the negative portion of the rep slow? Is this typically done on every rep of every set?
-Is it negatives with a heavier weight than you can lift?
-Is it negatives after you reach failure in a set?

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I'm a HIT trainer but I try to keep to a 4-2-4 count except for th last reap wher I hold in the contracted position for as long as possible and do the negative as slowly as possible.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
The way I've been doing it is 5 seconds down, explosive up. When I say 5 seconds, I mean 5 SECONDS not "I count to 5, 12345". This way the 8-rep set lasts 48 seconds during which the muscle is under tension from the weight. This means that there is no locking out, no rest, no bouncing at the bottom, just painful muscular contraction.

This can be done in a 5s x 10 reps for equivalent TUT and somewhat less excruciating reps. Or also 3s eccentric, 3s concentric. I'll have to try that pretty soon.

Such a training regimen has you using girlie weights. By this I mean that I can do a standing DB curl with 75 but the 6s x 8 curl is done with 30lbs. I can bench 315 x 4 but I use 185lbs x 8 x 6seconds per rep on this routine. Just to give you some idea how that works out.

Whenever someone is couting reps in a set, they're actually trying to count TUT. But of course 8 quick reps and 6 slow reps aren't the same, so it's much much more accurate to add up the TUT than the reps. Wanna do a 10s TUT set? That's no problem, what becomes a problem is when you compare 10 reps completed in 30 seconds with 5 seconds of rest included, to 10 reps completed in 50 seconds of sheer TUT.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, the lowered weights is what I think keeps more cats from doing a TUT routine, they have massive egos....You look like a panzee, and that's just the way it is..Check your ego at the door and you'll get results though...I am down with the 5 down explosion up, just started it...I like three and three too, you should try that Grunt, good pumps!

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I actually do the all phases (positive, static, negative) under very strict control, I do not add up the seconds spent under tension for each set. I mean say one day you counted a little faster or slower then another day and then your calculated time will be off. I'm not tryting to be a wise ass or anything and I do agree with you on the fact that 6 good controled reps are ar better then 8 or 10 or even 12 done in a sloppy form but to try and be so exact and count at the exact same pace all the time would require a someone to workout with you and have them use a stop watch and time each and every rep that you do.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
but to try and be so exact and count at the exact same pace all the time would require a someone to workout with you and have them use a stop watch and time each and every rep that you do.
Yeh I look at my watch just when I start my set and look at it again after and see if 45-50 seconds have elapsed. I'm incredibly hardcorously meticulous.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I will just stick to keping my reps at a nice 4-2-4 pace and keep increase the weights when I go above 12 reps. It just sounds like there is too much room for error if you happen to not look at our watch immeadiatly or something like that. Plus I do not want to workout with my breitling on as if I damage it I will be quite pissed

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use a 5 dollar .99 cent 'Limex' watch yo...It IS GHETTO...And for good reason, I can beat it up...

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I will just stick to keping my reps at a nice 4-2-4 pace and keep increase the weights when I go above 12 reps. It just sounds like there is too much room for error if you happen to not look at our watch immeadiatly or something like that. Plus I do not want to workout with my breitling on as if I damage it I will be quite pissed
You come into my thread where I am sharing my routine and all you can post is how you're not going to do it my way.

Can you tell me why anyone needs to know that?

You wanna keep doing it your way? FINE! Everyone ELSE who isn't interested in this routine isn't posting in this thread. You don't have to be in this thread man, I find your posts extremely annoying. You wanna debate HIT vs TUT? I created a thread for that.

Fearhk213

Awards
Sweet, sounds painful...I think I'll try it!:twisted: Sounds like the 5 down, explosive up would be great for increasing overall power during the movement.
Grunt, what's the Dillet Pulldown you have in your routine I've never heard of it?

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Sweet, sounds painful...I think I'll try it!:twisted: Sounds like the 5 down, explosive up would be great for increasing overall power during the movement.
Grunt, what's the Dillet Pulldown you have in your routine I've never heard of it?
The Dillett pulldown IMO is one of the best moves for lats that I know of. It is sort of a combination of a narrow-grip pulldown and lat pullover.

Grab the pulldown bar at shoulder-width, palms facing eyes, angle your upper body about 30-45 degrees back, and pulldown the bar to just below the pecs, squeezing the lats at the bottom. I like to start/end the motion with about a 10-15 degree backward angle and finish it at about 30-45 degrees, depending on what makes me feel my lats the most. You can go heavy on this, it's great. :)

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
OK so even though I am now doing the hGH fragment and could have kept on doing that routine, it isn't very suited to cutting. I will be doing a cutting cycle starting in 4 weeks from now, so I need a routine for that. A lot of the best cutting hormones are also good strength producers, and I've been lacking in that department. So my routine has to have that. Moreover, since I'll be doing T3 & clen, my heart will be beating pretty fast even with a slow-paced routine, and it would be excessive in my opinion, to go with a fast-paced one. So I give you my new routine, also in two "weeks". This will be done with a 2on/1off rotation. Approximately.

Exercises in italics are done with a long Time Under Tension, that is 6 seconds in all. Last time around I did a 5-second negative with 1-second positive. This time it will be 3/3...
Also, exercises with a * are single-sided ones, and I had to double the number of reps so that the computer can add up the time elapsed correctly. So if you see 16 reps, that's 8 each side...

Oh, if someone wants the .xls file for it, just ask and I'll host it or something. I log every set in it, along with bodyweight...

Here it is:

WEEK 1

WEEK 2

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
My training program is for strength gain, not so much for cutting:

I had to write a Dissertation on the therapeutic effects in muscle anabolism a year ago. Through a little bit of studying (my partner and I) came across an idea that has turned into quite a good routine.

To keep this post short, I'll throw in the basics. Each day you are to pick a bodypart that you wish to work to failure. By body part I mean muscle (triceps would be done on a different day than biceps), the only exception to these rules are traps/shoulders and legs as a whole.

There are three parts to the workout.

The warm-up

After a light stretch, walk on incline at a moderate pace (3.0-3.5mph) for 10-15 minutes to get the blood flowing.

The stem cell load

Now i believe you guys may think this is a load, but hear me out. The majority of your stem cells (blank cells) are stored in your legs and back. For the most part your legs and back are your two biggest muscle groups. The idea is to do a Modified Buckeye workout with one group.

For example: if you are deciding to train your biceps, do the stem cell load with your legs.

Part three: Failure

Take your muscle group that you originally selected to train to failure. Take this to the point of where you cannot literally curl a 5lb dumbell. Basically what you have done is you have tricked your body into thinking it has atrophy of the group you just trained. The stem cells your released by doing the heavy repetitions with your back or legs have cross-sectionally migrated to the "hurt" area and will stimulate new myofibrils and capillary growth.

This might be hard to follow, so ill type up a sample.

Its monday and you wanna train biceps.

Warm-up)- 10-15 min brisk walk

Stem cell load)- The two exercises you will be doing are:
Squats and Weighted lunges.

You will do the exercise in decreasing repetitions with increased weight.

12,8,6,4,2,2,1- This will be for both sets (may have to drop the numbers a bit in the beginning).

After you have done this, its time for the Failure.

Failure)- Pick out exercises with a wide variation of handgrips, a wide variety or rythym and eccentric and concentric movements. Do this until you have totally exasperated your group.

Endothil-Cr is a pretty decent Supplement to be used with this. I got wonderful results with that supplement and this regimen. This worked wonders to get my hamstring back in order.

If you do the stem cell load with legs one day, do the load with the back the next day.

Workout is best utilized with lifting every-other day.