heavy straight leg dead lifts?

o-dub

Awards
are heavy straight leg dead lifts bad for your back? because people have been telling me to stop doing them. what do u guys think?

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
If you can handle them with good form, why not?
Agreed. They're probably just jealous cause you're lifting more than they are. But as long as you've got your form tight, and your lower back will let you know if that's the case on big weight, you should be good to go.

In general, I like to do more reps with SL deads, but every now and then i like to see what I can get one of.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
like the other two said - it's not a problem - slow and easy of course, 90% of people in the gym dont' have a clue what they are talking about - just ask them where they acquired that knowledge from? - they wont' have a real answer - I do 3 sets 315x8 (3 secs down, 2 up) once every other week and it feels great. research is your friend.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i've heard that argument before, generally from small newb's.

don't lock your knees out and don't touch the floor and you should be good to go. it's not a competition movement so i don't see a need to put your back in a compromising position. i generally bring the bar about 2" below my knee cap. don't move up too fast though. 10lbs here and there adds up real quick.

BobbyRay

Awards
I regularly use heavy weights for stiff leg deads. Just don't round your back and you should be fine, go down until you can't keep your spine neutral anymore and pull back up. I've worked up to ~70% of my squat 1rm with these for sets of 5.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i agree they aren't bad in fact i love them .. ivydude and i have been going as high as 405 on them

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
there are many advantages to being built close to the ground my rednecky friend

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
i agree they aren't bad in fact i love them .. ivydude and i have been going as high as 405 on them
I agree here I love them as well. Just make sure you have a slight bend in your knees which puts most of the stress on the hamstrings and off of the back.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I love SLDL's, though I don't go too heavy and I don't go less than 8 reps.

Some people seem to think this movement does nothing more than stretch the hams. I think this is BS, unless DOMS I get is from stretching :think:

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
what? proof that only you can tear a pec while doing stiff legged dead lifts? i don't need any proof of that i believe ya ;)

i have little doubt you could easily rock the 405 SLDL's my friend :thumbsup:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah? well I can squat a grand with the weight resting on my cock, lol. Got you all beat!

;)

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
i've heard that argument before, generally from small newb's.

don't lock your knees out and don't touch the floor and you should be good to go. it's not a competition movement so i don't see a need to put your back in a compromising position. i generally bring the bar about 2" below my knee cap. don't move up too fast though. 10lbs here and there adds up real quick.
dude that's exactly how I jacked my back up before. I wasn't rounding my back at all, but I was going to the floor, and coming up explosively.. kind of absurd now that I think about it. But anyways, one day I felt a "pop".. Ever since then it's been a long rehab to get back into full mobility. Everything suffered.. most notably Squats, and any hammy excercise.....

anyways, I still like them though. :D

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
well, at least you learned and didn't suffer permanent damage. i see some guys doing em that way and it makes me cringe.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I'm the only one doing them in my gym. There seems to be two ways of doing them: One, where you stand on a short platform and bring the bar down to where the plates go lower than the soles of your shoes and bring the bar back up to just above the knees and the other where you bring the bar to just below the knee and I guess you straighten up fully.

Has any of you tried both ways? I'm still debating which would work best for my goals.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey grunt I do them on a platform with db's and I get a nice little stretch, keeping the db's close to my legs and such... Def helps with the ham and glute tie in going down a lil more, just be safe, and don't try more than you can handle...

Last edited:
Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I'm the only one doing them in my gym. There seems to be two ways of doing them: One, where you stand on a short platform and bring the bar down to where the plates go lower than the soles of your shoes and bring the bar back up to just above the knees and the other where you bring the bar to just below the knee and I guess you straighten up fully.

Has any of you tried both ways? I'm still debating which would work best for my goals.
grunt, the first way you listed sounds more prone to injury. there's only so far you can bend down with straight legs and not arch your back.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
grunt, the first way you listed sounds more prone to injury. there's only so far you can bend down with straight legs and not arch your back.
Hm... I'mma try it your way next leg day bro. I was using very small weights... 145 on a BB for example, or 70lb DBs...

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
girlie weights, lol. i dunno, that way might work well, but give the other way a try for a stint and see whatcha think. you can definately go a lot heavier.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Dumbbells are KILLER they seem to take your back almost totally out of it, these babies are my new favourite Ham movement. My other one is Glute-ham raises but my dam gym got rid of the bench :frustrate