My Routine--Advice/Critique needed please*

ssor1005

Awards
First off, I am somewhat new to all this and appreciate any advice/help I can get so thanks in advance. I started working out for the first time 4 months ago, and have become hooked since, especially as of late. Also I am 17 years old.
Four Months Ago:
Height: 6'4
Weight: 160 :(
BF: Not positive but if I had to guess somewhere from 12-15%

As of the last week in January:
Weight: 172
BF: 8.9%

I do not have the exact measurements with me but after the four months my quads grew 2 inches, shouldlers 2 inches, chest 1 inch, Bi's 1 1/2 inches.

I have been taking creatine for a month, and I'm loving its effects. Other than that the other supplements I take are just fish oil, green tea extract, and BCAAs. I am also about to start Melting Point because I want to get as lean as possible for spring break.
How many days do I need to be off creatine and melting point to lose some water weight, b/c even though my abs are somewhat visible the excessive amount of water I have to drink is hiding them a bit.

Currently and until Mid March I am going to be doing 5 days of Cardio at which I am doing very high inclined walking--reaching 4.3 mph at 11 incline--for 30-45 minutes where I burn 375-550 calories a session.

Here is my workout routine:
Mon (Chest, Bi's,Tris): 4 sets BB Bench press, 4 sets inclined chest press, 3 sets inclined fly. I avoid dumbells because I have a bad shoulder* 4 sets of weighted sitting dips supersetted with laying tricep extensions. 2 sets of kickbacks supersetted with standing tricep extensions. 4 sets of bb bicep curls. 3 sets of alternating db curls.

Tues: (Lower body): 4 sets of Squats, 4 sets Calf Raises, 4 Sets Stiff legged Dead lifts, 3 sets of Leg press

Wednesday: Same thing as Monday.

Thursday (Back and Shoulders): 2 sets of Lat pulldowns followed with a downset, 4 sets of bb bent over rows, 3 sets of db bent over rows. 3 sets of shoulder shrugs super setted, shoulderpress machine until failure (i have a bad shoulder cant due too many dbs). 3 sets of side laterals.

Friday: Same as Mon and Wed

Saturday: Same as Tues

Sun: rest

Nutrion wise I will just post an average day:

1) 7:45 2 bowls of High Fiber cereal with bannana, 5 eggwhite omlette, and a little bit of cottage cheese.

2) 10:45 1 tuna sandwich on Whole Wheat and a three egg whtie omlette.

3) 1:45 Grilled Chicken and some brown Rice

4) 4:45 Protein Shake

515-whenever is workout

5) Post workout 42 g protein shake

6) 9:00 grilled chicken with some broccoli

7) 11:00 Cottage Cheese w/blueberries, Casein shake right before bed

I have not officially added them up, but if i had to estimate I would say my diet is pretty good, and tips/advice? Sorry to type so much again.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, you are training WAY too often. Arms and chest 3x/wk is overtraining especially if you are trying to cut. If you have a consistent diet and training, you should be able to drop somewhere between 3-5 lbs before spring break. As for the creatine and MP, creatine's water retention will subside in a few days but MP could take a while, especially because TTA stays active in the body for a couple wks after dosing ends. The main thing is don't fret too much about water retention and focus on diet and training.
Also, FYI if you have a bad shoulder, chances are that the chest training is what is causing the pain.

ssor1005

Awards
Yeah thanks, I'm going to get some xrays tommorow on my shoulder, its not that bad...just when I do heavy weight with certain shoulder movements or inclinded chest it hurts......Regarding the overtraining, the only reason im doing so much chest is b/c its staggering to grow and is pretty weak, but I think im just going to do a really light set of chest on wednesday like 4 sets of dips or something. Do you think MP is a good choice for me, If i take it for about 4-5 weeks will i shed a few lbs of fat? Thanks for the tips again.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are concerned about chest size then focus on chest ONCE a wk, but hit it with intensity. Remember during a cut, adding mass should not be the primary concern, but keeping muscle and shedding fat should be. Given the short time frame, I am not sure if MP would be a good choice. Maybe give GXR and Sesamin a try, but make sure to keep diet and cardio consistent.

ssor1005

Awards
Okay thanks a lot. Concerning the Melting Point, if i just use it for four weeks I should get some results or at least i think so based on reading others posts/testimonials.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I'm a HIT advocate so you know my opinion...... extreme over training.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think that because he is 17 HIT would not be good routine...I am a fan of Max-OT, but neither are newb routines. He just need time to discover what his body responds best to.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
How many days do I need to be off creatine and melting point to lose some water weight, b/c even though my abs are somewhat visible the excessive amount of water I have to drink is hiding them a bit.

I have not officially added them up, but if i had to estimate I would say my diet is pretty good, and tips/advice? Sorry to type so much again.
Drinking a lot of water will not cause you to bloat, being dehydrated will. Creatine increases fluid uptake in skeletal muscle not subQ nor will melting point cause water retention.

You need to "officially" add up your daily cals and macros. That is the only way to gauge what is working and where to adjust. Diet is absolutely the most important aspect of losing weight or gaining the right weight. Supplements sre just that, "supplemental". I just use a simple excel spreadsheet that tracks all the cals, macros and their percentages. Post up an email address and I will send it to you if you would like. I would post it up but excel is not one of he accepted formats.

All that being said, congratulations on entering a lifestyle of better health and asthetics and keep up the good work. You have had impressive results as of this far but that is typical for a beginner and they will slow or come screetching to a halt if you do not begin to employ comprehensive diet and training methods. :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Drinking a lot of water will not cause you to bloat, being dehydrated will. Creatine increases fluid uptake in skeletal muscle not subQ nor will melting point cause water retention.

You need to "officially" add up your daily cals and macros. That is the only way to gauge what is working and where to adjust. Diet is absolutely the most important aspect of losing weight or gaining the right weight. Supplements sre just that, "supplemental". I just use a simple excel spreadsheet that tracks all the cals, macros and their percentages. Post up an email address and I will send it to you if you would like. I would post it up but excel is not one of he accepted formats.

All that being said, congratulations on entering a lifestyle of better health and asthetics and keep up the good work. You have had impressive results as of this far but that is typical for a beginner and they will slow or come screetching to a halt if you do not begin to employ comprehensive diet and training methods. :)
MP does cause water retention to an extent, which is the reason some were questioning the efficacy of TTA when it was first released.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
MP does cause water retention to an extent, which is the reason some were questioning the efficacy of TTA when it was first released.
I was not aware of this. By what mechanism? Is it not an EFA complex?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First off, I am somewhat new to all this and appreciate any advice/help I can get so thanks in advance. I started working out for the first time 4 months ago, and have become hooked since, especially as of late. Also I am 17 years old.
Four Months Ago:
Weight: 160 :(
BF: Not positive but if I had to guess somewhere from 12-15%

As of the last week in January:
Weight: 172
BF: 8.9%

I do not have the exact measurements with me but after the four months my quads grew 2 inches, shouldlers 2 inches, chest 1 inch, Bi's 1 1/2 inches.

I have been taking creatine for a month, and I'm loving its effects. Other than that the other supplements I take are just fish oil, green tea extract, and BCAAs. I am also about to start Melting Point because I want to get as lean as possible for spring break.

Currently and until Mid March I am going to be doing 5 days of Cardio at which I am doing very high inclined walking--reaching 4.3 mph at 11 incline--for 30-45 minutes where I burn 375-550 calories a session.

Here is my workout routine:
Mon (Chest, Bi's,Tris): 4 sets BB Bench press, 4 sets inclined chest press, 3 sets inclined fly. I avoid dumbells because I have a bad shoulder* 4 sets of weighted sitting dips supersetted with laying tricep extensions. 2 sets of kickbacks supersetted with standing tricep extensions. 4 sets of bb bicep curls. 3 sets of alternating db curls.

Tues: (Lower body): 4 sets of Squats, 4 sets Calf Raises, 4 Sets Stiff legged Dead lifts, 3 sets of Leg press

Wednesday: Same thing as Monday.

Thursday (Back and Shoulders): 2 sets of Lat pulldowns followed with a downset, 4 sets of bb bent over rows, 3 sets of db bent over rows. 3 sets of shoulder shrugs super setted, shoulderpress machine until failure (i have a bad shoulder cant due too many dbs). 3 sets of side laterals.

Friday: Same as Mon and Wed

Saturday: Same as Tues

Sun: rest

Nutrion wise I will just post an average day:

1) 7:45 2 bowls of High Fiber cereal with bannana, 5 eggwhite omlette, and a little bit of cottage cheese.

2) 10:45 1 tuna sandwich on Whole Wheat and a three egg whtie omlette.

3) 1:45 Grilled Chicken and some brown Rice

4) 4:45 Protein Shake

515-whenever is workout

5) Post workout 42 g protein shake

6) 9:00 grilled chicken with some broccoli

7) 11:00 Cottage Cheese w/blueberries, Casein shake right before bed

Personally I think your body, at this stage of lifting responds best to optimal rest times.Like a few other guys said, cut down the amount of times you hit a body part per week, but increase the intensity, and form, form, form, form...It is better to lift 45% right than it is 85% wrong..

ssor1005

Awards
Thanks guys for the help...Im going to give myself more rest and do two really intense upperbody workouts a week and maybe just a really light day in the middle just to keep it active but nothing major. I'm still new to everything kind of and this might be a dumb question but what is a Hit routine?
Also how much protein do you think I need on training and non training days...Just by adding up in my head I am probably having about 220-250 grams of protein on training days and robably 170-200 on off days..too much too little?

Atlas

Awards
Stay In The Diet And Training Forums For The Next Six Months!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys for the help...Im going to give myself more rest and do two really intense upperbody workouts a week and maybe just a really light day in the middle just to keep it active but nothing major. I'm still new to everything kind of and this might be a dumb question but what is a Hit routine?
Also how much protein do you think I need on training and non training days...Just by adding up in my head I am probably having about 220-250 grams of protein on training days and robably 170-200 on off days..too much too little?
HIT is high intensity training a program based on high intensity(hence the name), very little volume, and extensive rest times. I don't think HIT would have very much purpose for your goal at all. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/12819-updated-common-training-styles.html
There is a sticky link you should check out to better inform you about a training program as it seems you are still pretty weary.In fact it may be a good idea to browse the stickies in each forum, they were all written by extremely knowledgeable people and will probably answer most of the questions you have at this stage without wading through the info on a search. As well, based on your height/weight stats I don't think a cut is in order, sub 10% is already fairly lean. I think you should consider a bulk after your spring break and in that case you need to definitely formally calculate your calories and make sure you are in a large surplus.

ssor1005

Awards
HIT is high intensity training a program based on high intensity(hence the name), very little volume, and extensive rest times. I don't think HIT would have very much purpose for your goal at all. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/12819-updated-common-training-styles.html
There is a sticky link you should check out to better inform you about a training program as it seems you are still pretty weary.In fact it may be a good idea to browse the stickies in each forum, they were all written by extremely knowledgeable people and will probably answer most of the questions you have at this stage without wading through the info on a search. As well, based on your height/weight stats I don't think a cut is in order, sub 10% is already fairly lean. I think you should consider a bulk after your spring break and in that case you need to definitely formally calculate your calories and make sure you are in a large surplus.
Yeah thanks, I am going to start a really clean bulk this summer...right now one reason I am not bulking is b/c I drink a tad too much on the weekends. But this summer, once school is over and I am not stressed out of my mind I am going to minimize or totally eliminate alcohol from my diet. Thanks for the link, its helping a lot.