What do you guys think of Hammerstrength?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
So what do you guys think of hammerstrength? My gym is full of HS machines. Personally, I think its a waste of time to get on them. Why do hammerstrength incline when you can just get under the bar? I find that they dont hit nearly as hard as a good free weight workout.
Thats just me though, what's your opinion?
BigVrunga

M

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
for machines i like some hs equipment...i use them as a change of pace rather than regular machines because i like the range of motion better amd on the incline and their wide bench press its easier on my shoulders than even dumbells. Plus with hs you know how much weight you have on there unlike some machines where the weights arent labeled with the weight, still, they are machines and should be used sparingly like any other machine..imo. free weights still rule!

B

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
well, I'm of the opinion that they can be potentially quite effective indeed, and I like some of them very much... the problem comes with people who do not really understand the "mind muscle" connection, have not been working out for a long time etc, and think that it's just as good to jump on a machine... no, no no... LEARN the FEEL of the bar's the db's, the actual movements... and then, you can move to the machines and really pile the weight on, especially if you don't have the luxury of a training partner... you know the movements, you know exactly what they should be doing and what you should be feeling with them (some HS frames just don't work for some people, as their bodies just aren't quite right with the prealigned grooves), and you can better utilize monster weight safely.

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I really like some of ours the two I like are the Hammer Wide Chest, kinda a fly movement. And the other is the Hammer Ground Squat, I like to use it for lunges and shrugs. The shrugs I don't do all the time.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
and then, you can move to the machines and really pile the weight on, especially if you don't have the luxury of a training partner.
I agree with you there biggin - tough to get in a really heavy workout with no one there to spot. I still prefer the power rack to the machines for self spotting though...

(some HS frames just don't work for some people, as their bodies just aren't quite right with the prealigned grooves),
This could be my issue with them. On the HS incline bench machine, i always end up exhausting my delts before my chest even feels it.

I like are the Hammer Wide Chest, kinda a fly movement. And the other is the Hammer Ground Squat
We dont have those machines at my gym...

The only HS machine I got any use from was the HS neck press. Id do stripsets on that and burn the hell out of my rear delts. (well, as fast as I could pull plates off and sit back down):)

BigVrunga

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I use the behind the neck press from time to time..

S

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Hammerstrength machines are a lovely alternative to some joint stressful movements. I like to do some HS incline chest. Too bad my horseshit gym doesn't even have them, so WTF am I talking about.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i only use 2 HS machines occasionally. these are the ground lunge/shruge machine, and once in a while, the front pulldown machines. Sage

C

crazypete

Awards
personally, i don't like them due to not being able to adjust them to my body so i just use free weights and cables. i use some machines for legs, but not hammer strength ones. however, if it works for you, great go ahead and use them, just be concious about setting up properly like with free weights. form is still important to get the gains you are after.

cheers, pete

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I like them, but my gym now really doesn't have many. I really only used to use them for wide chest, shoulder press, and shrugs..........still use for shrugs, thats about all they have

definately easier on the joints sits its basically a set range of motion and you have really no chance to deciate from the path.

h19

destro19

destro19

Awards
I like em but we have asses in my gym who think that they can pile on weight cause its a macnine and they just jerk all around like fuckin idiots. then the get off, whipe there sweat and stand angaist the wall looking to see if anyone was watching them slopp around big weights. Its funny realy.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
it is technically a machine, but how much lighter do you think 45 pounds is on the HS as opposed to a universal type machine..with 18 different pulley's.....i think that the later of the two would fit much better in the stereo type of "machines"

h19