shoulder day

Panther06

Awards
Here is my workout on shoulder day, my question is after I did it I didnt feel that worn out or pumped, I'm wondering if I need a few more sets to add

shoulder press4x10,10,8,6
arnold presses4x10.10.8.6
upright row3x10
bent over laterals3x10

any comments?

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
panther...

you're w/o isnt that much different than mine....except i do bb shrugs instead of u/r rows. on another thread (hamper19's thread "what do you guys do for shoulders?") this very thing was discussed. most never felt any soreness, etc after a shoulder w/o. I know i usually dont no matter how I work my shouders. I can see alot of improvement both in terms of size and strength...I figure as long as I'm improving I'm not gonna worry about soreness, etc.

aheadlan

Awards
You could add some side laterals (my favourite shoulder exercise, done slowly and strictly with no swinging) and shrugs.

You could also try military barbell presses for variation if you are doing dumbbell presses, or vice-versa.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
... you want worn out and pumped? start by adding two drop sets at the end of the last sets of each of your exercises and go from there... ex:

shoulder press: 4x10, 10, 8, 6(immediate two more, w/o rest)
arnold press: 4x10, 10, 8, 6(two more drop sets here)
etc..

also, you may think about upping your reps per set, going from 12, 10, 10, 8 or something

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
When you do those lateral raises, run the dumbell rack with them at the end of your set. When you get to the last reps of the final set, if you can even raise your hands then you're not doing them right:)

Try chins/pulldowns to behind the neck for the rear delts - they work awesome.

Also, a big one: keep the intensity up, dont take more than 90seconds rest between sets, and 2-3 minutes between exercises.

Biggin has a great idea with those dropsets, too...

BigVrunga

Nicolai

Awards
shoulder day is my favorite day of the year :D so i make it last. i do:
dumbell shoulder press 4 sets
lateral raises 4 sets
dumbell shrugs 4 sets
external rotations 3 stes
forward raises 3 sets
rear lateral raises 4 sets
upright rows 3 sets

sometimes i switch the dumbells for the barbell on shoulder presses

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I find that if I start my routine with heavy pressing movements, by the end my front delts are so exhausted that the front raises arent really necessary...

Nicolai

Awards
i could probably drop them... but i enjoy doin em and still got enough juice left to do it.. so i may as well.. i just wanna pick up one more to work the rear delts

any suggestions?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i could probably drop them... but i enjoy doin em and still got enough juice left to do it.. so i may as well.. i just wanna pick up one more to work the rear delts

any suggestions?
i find stabilizing your head by putting your forhead on the edge of an incline bench and doing rear delt fyls are best. I tend to cheat too much either when using too big of a weight or when the rep count gets high. (i hit too much of the upper back when i do this) Also, i enjoy bent over flys on the low cables as well (one arm at a time). Sage

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hey Nicolai - if you like the front raises then definately dont drop them! What works for me might not work for you...I usually do 5 sets of dumbell presses, followed by 4 sets of machine presses, so my front delts get pounded pretty hard. Not to mention, my shoulder day is after chest day so they are whipped by the end of the workout.

Sage try supersetting those rear-flys with behind-neck pulldowns. You'll annhilate those rear delts!:)

BigVrunga

aheadlan

Awards

any suggestions?
I like going to reverse flyes on the pec deck immediately after rear laterals- makes 'em burn!

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
I find that if I start my routine with heavy pressing movements, by the end my front delts are so exhausted that the front raises arent really necessary...
plus with chest you recruit front delts too...i hear ya on the heavy pressin movements. i rarely do any front raises for those two reasons. and ys after a shoulder w/o your shoulders should be fried but i rarely ever feel any doms....

steele83

Awards
a great workout exercise for shoulders is doing 8 reps of full range motion of side lateral raises starting with 40lbs. dumbbells and then going 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 10 and starting with 30lbs. dumbbells pump out as many reps as possible by keeping your arms straight. trust me it works.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
another great idea is to try a variation of the 'foxset'

Lateral Raises:

Start with 10s x 15
30 sec rest
15s x 12
30 sec rest
20s x 10
30 sec rest
25s x 10
30 sec rest
30s x 10
30 sec rest

(and so on, until you get to your max weight for 6 reps)

And then, as soon as you put down the heavy weight, drop set and run the rack all the way down to 5's!

When you cant move the 5's no matter how hard you try, put them down and keep doing raises with your empty hands (still with strict form) until your side delts feel like they're going to pop...

BigVrunga