Why cant i walk for 3 days after doing legs?

ali11atc

Awards
Hey everyone.. Here is the down and dirty.. Im 5-10, 170lbs, 23yrs old, 5yrs of bodybuilding experience. Now as far back as i can remember when i do legs which usually consists of squats, leg extensions and stiff leg deadlifts, i cannot walk for 3 days without walking like a fucking penguin!!

Why is this? I have tried warming up on the treadmill prior, stretching before and after, taking glutamine.. I dont know what else to do.. It hurts so bad that i dont even want to work my legs any more guys.. I hate to sound like a pussy but its to the point that trying to sit down to take a **** is difficult or even getting out of bed..

Now i dont even life anything outrageous! Im at 3-4 sets per exercise, 8-10 reps..

Anyone else experience this kind of pain or know why im expereincing it?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey everyone.. Here is the down and dirty.. Im 5-10, 170lbs, 23yrs old, 5yrs of bodybuilding experience. Now as far back as i can remember when i do legs which usually consists of squats, leg extensions and stiff leg deadlifts, i cannot walk for 3 days without walking like a fucking penguin!!

Why is this? I have tried warming up on the treadmill prior, stretching before and after, taking glutamine.. I dont know what else to do.. It hurts so bad that i dont even want to work my legs any more guys.. I hate to sound like a pussy but its to the point that trying to sit down to take a **** is difficult or even getting out of bed..

Now i dont even life anything outrageous! Im at 3-4 sets per exercise, 8-10 reps..

How often do you work them out?

Adams

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey everyone.. Here is the down and dirty.. Im 5-10, 170lbs, 23yrs old, 5yrs of bodybuilding experience.

Well the good news is you are getting younger by the day.
sorry, im 24... I have experience in using ph's before such as 1ad and M1t..
:nutkick:

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
It is called DOMS. You will be ok. There is a differance between soreness and pain. If you are sore, then you are ok, if you are in pain, then you need to alter your routine.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
It was a struggle to put on my socks this morning and I loved every minute of it.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
What about your diet, especially pre/post workout nutrition. Try working out w/o plenty of protein and carbs before and after and you will be in agony. I still get very sore sometimes, but w/ food/shake before and after and BCAAs during, I keep DOMS to a minimum :D

ali11atc

Awards
sorry about the age typo.. lol. I am 23yr not 24, i just noticed that...

But my diet is in check, have a pre and post workout shake with dextrose to replace glycogen usage.. Calories are about 500 above maintance right now in order to just maintain.

Reason im asking is i see some people who lift twice the weight i do in legs, and they are fine the next day.. Some of them can even go running after their leg workouts!! There is no way i can do that.. My legs are shaking so bad when im done i couldnt even imagine trying to run.

To answer a previous question, i work my legs once a week.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Calories are about 500 above maintance right now in order to just maintain.quote]

You must be sislexdic, JK

Anyways, the people who are lifting more then you have probally been lifting longer then you.

How long have you been lifting? Let me rephrase, how long have you been lifting with legs? Alot of people say, I have been lifting for 3 years. Then you say, what do you squat or leg press and you get the " I dont do them, my legs are big enough" or the classic " I run instead". So yeah, how long have you been training them?

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Been training for 15 years here and doing squats the whole way except for about the last 2 years due to knee pain.

I miss my squat workouts. I miss being so sore the next few days that I can't walk normally. Going down stairs is agony. I LOVE IT.

It's always been like that. Isn't that normal when you lift hard? I thought it was. To me it just shows you're lifting right, man. But then again maybe I'm too hardcore? Or maybe that explains why I have knee problems?:blink:

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
What about your diet, especially pre/post workout nutrition. Try working out w/o plenty of protein and carbs before and after and you will be in agony. I still get very sore sometimes, but w/ food/shake before and after and BCAAs during, I keep DOMS to a minimum :D
Totally agree with this. I know when I didnt get enough protein for the day cause Im always sore after that.
As long as I get plenty of protein, my DOMS is very mild.

King Nothing

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
and swap out the dextrose for slower burning carbs like oats or whole grain sources. They'll get the job done just as well only you won't be so desensitized to insulin. You might even lose some fat! and thats always a plus
I was using dextrose too and I made the change and havn't even thought about going back

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like it is diff from one person to another.

I am rarely sore after a workout. Sometimes a little bit the day or the 2nd day after but not much.

CROWLER

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established

Bump to that. Working out with plenty of protein and carbs should help ridding the soreness.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
The key to decreasing DOMS is blood flow restoration, coupled with increased protein and quality fats intake.

Within 12-24 hours of your leg workout, you need to engage in some type of GPP activity to increase the blood flow to your legs. It doesn't have to be as complex as sled dragging or the farmer's walk-- jogging, playing basketball, or even parking your car in the furthest spot from your office building and walking briskly all help with blood flow resoration.

What works best personally for me to decrease DOMS is to hit the bike up immediately after a leg workout or to go jogging the next day. Sometimes the restoration work helps more than at other times, and its at this point that I'll check my protein and fats intake, and also make sure I'm getting plenty of sleep.

Give it a try...GPP work keeps the anabolic stimulus high (upregulated protein synthesis) and ultimately leads to quicker recovery time.

dertynasty

dertynasty

$Money$
Awards
  • Established
and swap out the dextrose for slower burning carbs like oats or whole grain sources. They'll get the job done just as well only you won't be so desensitized to insulin. You might even lose some fat! and thats always a plus
I was using dextrose too and I made the change and havn't even thought about going back
what about mixing the low gi oats with something like a banana for the simple sugars as well?

delta314

Awards
  • Established
When I'm sore like that and I have to "fall" on the john, that's how I know I had a "great leg day!!" If you can't feel it, it ain't working.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
STRETCH!!!

slowly, gently, thoroughly - but stretch!

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I always stretch and it never seemed to make any kind of difference when I exceptionnally didn't... ?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What works best personally for me to decrease DOMS is to hit the bike up immediately after a leg workout or to go jogging the next day. Sometimes the restoration work helps more than at other times, and its at this point that I'll check my protein and fats intake, and also make sure I'm getting plenty of sleep.
I second this advice! Light cardio work after your leg workout will do wonders for decreasing DOMS during the following few days.

Nutrition and supplementation are also key - you may want to re-examine your diet.

What does your leg workout look like? Maybe you're just over-doing it.

BV

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Stretching is more important post workout, warm up is more important pre workout.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
It was a struggle to put on my socks this morning and I loved every minute of it.
Im the same way....
i am only eighteen but when i lift something hard i will stay sore their for a week in exteme cases, but on average around 4-5days

glutamine helps my recovery time when I first start taking it but the next two workouts the benifit fades to nothing (but an empty wallet).....yet at really high doses of glutamine my acne (its not bad but it is there) will dissapear :think:

but anywho, i have tried everything. I drink tons of water. I stretch. I sleep more than enough. Diet is in check. vitamins and whatever......(kinda like being sore sometimes but it definitely gets old)

King Nothing

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've never done light stretching after i work my legs so I'll try that next time. I do warm up and the next day I do cardio first thing in the am after my workout so that gets the blood movin and diets perfect so I only get DOMS the day after leg day. The day after that i'm no longer wishing I had rails by my toilet. :)

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I always stretch and it never seemed to make any kind of difference when I exceptionnally didn't... ?
depends on how you're stretching, I believe. "Stretching" by Bob Anderson could be much better, but if you haven't reviewed it, it's not a bad place to go.

The key to stretching is patience (I know: in short supply sometimes, but still); stretch, hold, breathe is the ticket

If anyone's interested, I'd be glad to work up a step-by-step stretching intro; otherwise, if you know any runners, ask them how they stretch: get them to show you. Use it PWO when you feel your legs tightening up - you'll have to adapt what they do, but it will be worth it.