tri's with chest or not?

tri's/chest?

• Total voters
spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Do you work tri's with chest or not.

I personally work tri's with delts instead of chest. This is because tri's fail (for me anyway) before my chest does on bench/incline bench. With delts, my delts fail before my tri's with compound delt movements, so I can still work tri's good after delts.

w00kie

Awards
just started working tri's with shoulders instead of chest. i've been doing it this way for about two weeks now.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I work em with both. Monday Chest/Tri's, Friday Shoulders/Tri's/Bi's.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You should be doing both. I don't do a grouping for more than 2 weeks anymore man. I'll do chest / tris, back / bis, legs / shoulders for 2 weeks then I'll do chest / back, shoulders / tris, legs / bis....etc

So yes, I work tris w/ chest, and no, I don't work tris w/ chest :)

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
I find that working tri's after either chest or delts warm them up and don't injure as easily.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
On chest day, I find it hard not to at least do some pushdowns to burn me out before I leave the gym. Depending on my workout scheme I usually hit tri's on another day as well.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I like Magickk's way, personally. I change my split every few weeks. Some splits I'll have them after chest, some splits after delts, and since arms are genetically more difficult for me to develope than other bodyparts (tall man's arms syndrome.) I sometimes will even group arms on their own day, the only problem with that is that tri's get hit on chest day, delt day, and on their own day, so I have to be careful about overtraining on those splits. (unless I put delts and chest together, wich Ive done in the past but dont like because it doesnt allow me to give shoulders the attention the deserve.) On those arms on their own day type splits some times I'll do the arm day the day after delts, so even though they get hit 2 days straignt they still have 3 days to recover before the next chest day. Ie: mon:chest/back tues:quads/hams/calves thurs:delts/traps Fri:arms.
In fact Im planning on using that one the next time I change splits. Wich happens to be next week. (I try to stick with a split long enough to milk gains from each of those exercises but not long enough to adapt and get stale. For me that equates to about 3 to 5 weeks per split.
I first realized that the arms the day after delts routine worked for me when I did max ot the summer before this past one, cuz the tris still get several days to recover before chest, and the two consecutive day hit can shock the tris in a new and favorable way as long as I dont keep it (the split) that way for too long.

KellysGymCarver

Awards
I like the fact that the tris are pre-exhausted frrom doing chest. It doesn't take much to toast them from there. I do a few sets of skull crushers, and then some bench dips, and my boys are out there................

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I've been doing Tris with Shoulders and have been pleased with the results. Chest with Bis......Back alone, and Legs alone.

Gumbo

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Bottom line is if your arms are really lagging you should give them a day of their own, bis/tris/forearms. I have been training tri's with shoulders but i'm going to start training them with chest also.

1ad man

Banned
Awards
i think chest is so underrated everyone wants 20 inch arms but forget that chest is bigger muscle than arms . personally i work out one body part every day it allows me to focus and specialize in that one body part.doing chest and triceps is a good idea but being chest is bigger muscle you should work it out more than arms and if your lifting those heavy pounds and are tired than your tricep workout well suffer. i like doing biceps and triceps and supersetting. arms need to be workout only 45 min once a week i feel it is a small muscle and you cant overtrain it i have 18 inch arms. so i guess my method is working. peace

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I work arms separate from everything else right now.

ManBeast

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I trained my chest and tricpes when I was younger and never got total growth. If you burn out your chest you will loose the strength to hammer your triceps

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Every 8-10 weeks I switch up but currently i'm working Bis/Tris together on their own day. In a few more weeks i'll be switching back to tris and chest.

dirtysouthmuscl

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The only bad thing about that is your chest is one huge muscle. Your arms are small muscles. When you work out Chest and tris your tring to bring blood out of one and share it with the other. thats why bis and tris together is so good there next to each other. The amount of blood it takes to fill a pec , you can fill bi and tri . The key to growth is gettin blood in the muscle and holding it there as long as possible.

william3162

Board Supporter
Awards
Working chest usually have a negative impact when I move to my triceps workouts. I really makes me very difficult to complete a decent tricep workout. That's the reason, I usually do Chest/bi's, back/tri's, legs/shoulders, forearms/abs.

khan8

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what are the benifits of supersetting on arms day, and how do you warm up for each one, do you superset the warm up set?

TooL

Awards
Im wondering.

People keep saying that they dont include tris with their chest routine because their arms are too fatigued afterward.

Dont you think that maybe they are fatigued because they just did a whole lot of work (compound work) during the chest routine.

Just my 2 cents. Im not so much a bodybuilder as I am a strength athlete so my view is skewed.

mnickerson

mnickerson

Board Supporter
Awards
I do either tri's/bi's/forams all in one day or chest/Tri's one day Back/Bi's/Forearms another. I really enjoy the pump I get from doing a full 45 min arm workout on a single day.

heater

Awards
I switch up. bi's and tri's and chest and tri's. I, obviously, get a better pump out of the bi's and tri's.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was going to do chest w/ light tris on sunday then on friday tris bis. Does that sound good or is it overtraining I think I should be rested enough, or should the tri bi day be thursday? what do you guys think of that?

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am doing a max ot style work-out now so Chest gets it's own day

Cracker2

Awards
I superset Bis + Tris anyone else?

Yep, I hit my arms on Friday. I have been considering Tri's with shoulders and Bi's with back because I have heard it works well for others, but arms are not weakest body part. For this reason I have not split them up yet.

c2

Cracker2

Awards
I do either tri's/bi's/forams all in one day or chest/Tri's one day Back/Bi's/Forearms another. I really enjoy the pump I get from doing a full 45 min arm workout on a single day.

Ditto on that

c2

BigDago

BigDago

Awards
I do tri's with chest. BUT....my arms respond quick. I do relatively less sets on arms (tri's and bi's) than any other body part and my arms are 18". It should depend on the person, i.e. genetics. Just my 2 cents.

Chest-tri
Back-bi
Shoulders-legs Some weeks I will split legs and shoulders into 2 work outs.

I have experimented with several different splits and I always go back to this one.
K.I.S.S.

noviceiron

Awards
used to hit them with chest, now I hit arms on thier own day. My arms just don't grow as well as my other body parts so I have dedicated one day to them.

I hit my front & side delts with chest. Rear delts with back. So far, I like this as it does keep blood in the local areas.

littlemack

Awards
I do chest, tri's, and shoulders on the same day. I don't see how you can do bench and not hit shoulders and tri's at the same time. We try not to get them involved with our chest days but they are getting taxed. If you can't do shoulders because your doing a bizilion sets, then at least give yourself a day's rest before hitting shoulders.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Nope...Tris with my Hammies and Lower Back...

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing Tris with Shoulders and have been pleased with the results. Chest with Bis......Back alone, and Legs alone.

Gumbo
I'm with Gumbo on this one.

Shoulders/Tris, Back, Legs, Chest/Bis

I skip a day between each workout. I pre exhaust my chest with cable flyes and my tris are ready to go 2 days later. If I tried to do anything else on Back or Leg day, I would be found laying passed out on the gym floor.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing chest/tri split for quite some time now. 18" and growing. However, I've recently considered switching it up to tri/bi just for a change of pace. its just so damn hard to change a routine when everything feels good.

SoMdHunter

SoMdHunter

Awards
  • Established
I always do chest and tri's, normally early in the week (M or T) and then I do arms on Fridays (Bi's and Tri's again). I just don't go to failure except on arm day.

fil3113

Awards
currently training chest & tri's together... will be changing my split here in another 4 or 5 weeks though

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Been working tris in with chest on my new split. Not sure what I think of it yet.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
I periodically switch my split around, but lately I've been liking triceps after delts about 3 days after chest day. (Training calves and abs after chest so that I dont short change them after Quads and Hams wich I've been putting extra special effort into lately.)

mayneVayne

mayneVayne

Awards
my arms dont respond well at all when trained after chest/back... my chest and back respond EXTREMELY fast, and my arms will turn into peashooters unless they are given their own separate day... everytime i try to switch back to a push pull sched. my arms suffer big time. i also superset bis/tris.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Main tri workout always with bi's. have done it like this for a while now and it yeilds results for me.i will also throw in a few sets after a shoulder workout. Never with chest. i couldn't move anywhere near as much weight if i trained tri's with chest.

meb019

Banned
Awards
varying the way you work tris every now and then will greatly improve long term strength.

working tris w/ chest will increase muscle endurance. the pre-exhaustion from working chest prior to triceps is also a good method for boosting tricep strength, as long as you dont overtrain triceps after working them w chest.

if you do that split for a few weeks then go back to isolating tris w biceps, youll find that your tricep strength and endurance will have increased. this stuff isnt magic tho, it takes time

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i do bi's and Tri's together,it keeps the blood flow in my arms promoting nutrient uptake just to that area....

TheLaw

TheLaw

Awards
I split back / chest early week, shoulders/ legs midweek and round it out with a bi's / tri's at the end. I know for myself this has worked great the few months as everthing always feels fresh when their day comes.

Plus, I like to think that when doing it like this my arms and my chest/back are, in a way, getting a second little workout on the other corresponding day (whether this is actually beneficial or not, it makes me feel good inside :cheers: hahah )

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It all works. Maintaining a variation of exercise is the underlining principle for positive results, not so much a particular, superior combination.

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
I trained my chest and tricpes when I was younger and never got total growth. If you burn out your chest you will loose the strength to hammer your triceps
i've experienced the same thing. i do bis and tris on my assistance day; otherwise, i lack the neural drive to get the heavy weights goin.

my arms have always lagged, so they get their own day.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do you work tri's with chest or not.

I personally work tri's with delts instead of chest. This is because tri's fail (for me anyway) before my chest does on bench/incline bench. With delts, my delts fail before my tri's with compound delt movements, so I can still work tri's good after delts.
:goodpost:
I couldnt have said it better my self, this is exactly why my split is set up like it is... also delts and chest day are 3 and 4 days apart, making it so in actuality I get 2 good Tri workouts a week with suffiecient rest time as well.

Edit: LMAO just realized how old this thread was.