prove them wrong!

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
hi guys, just had 2 science lessons and both my teachers said that taking growth hormone makes you grow taller, of course this is bullshit but they are aragont enough to say that it does, im gonna bring in a study 2morrow to prove them wrong can you please give me some evidence that would shut them up!

Draven

Awards
  • Established
As far as I know Growth Hormone (GH) WILL make you grow taller prior to your growth plates closing. Meaning still in your teen years.

bellx1

Awards
As far as I know Growth Hormone (GH) WILL make you grow taller prior to your growth plates closing. Meaning still in your teen years.
I heard that too ... PRIOR to your growth plates closing ...

do a search on a couple of boards for hgh and you should find some articles that have a little insite into this

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by WiNgS
hi guys, just had 2 science lessons and both my teachers said that taking growth hormone makes you grow taller, of course this is bullshit but they are aragont enough to say that it does, im gonna bring in a study 2morrow to prove them wrong can you please give me some evidence that would shut them up!
Like what the other guys said, GH will make your bones grow before the epiphiseal (sp?) growth plates solidify.  So your teachers were right ;) ...

I know that you are still in High School, so the teachers were referring to the growth effects of GH in Teens/adolesents, not full grown adults...again, they were right.

Even if you are fully grown, GH will make the bones in your face, hands and feet grow larger/longer than normal depending on dosage and cycle length...again, right :p

Moral of the story:  Just because the majority of teachers are generally unfamiliar with hormones and their pharmocological effects on the body, does not mean that they cant put 2 and 2 together (i.e Growth Hormone = growth ;) )

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
Re: Re: prove them wrong!

Like what the other guys said, GH will make your bones grow before the epiphiseal (sp?) growth plates solidify.  So your teachers were right ;) ...

I know that you are still in High School, so the teachers were referring to the growth effects of GH in Teens/adolesents, not full grown adults...again, they were right.

Even if you are fully grown, GH will make the bones in your face, hands and feet grow larger/longer than normal depending on dosage and cycle length...again, right :p

Moral of the story:  Just because the majority of teachers are generally unfamiliar with hormones and their pharmocological effects on the body, does not mean that they cant put 2 and 2 together (i.e Growth Hormone = growth ;) )
DOH! but hold on a sec.....so since squats, deads and other fullbody movements like pull -ups release more GH, does that mean these movements can make you taller? that doesnt sound right to me... and if you take something like gaba or zma then you will grow taller aswell? i doubt it.....im confused :confused:

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
well in theory it could make you taller, I don't know if I have seen a document case of weight training increasing the height of kids, but it would be an interesting study, you would have to use all of the under height kids in a larger school divide them into groups and then go from there, now that sounds like a basic starting point for someones master's thesis...
now as for lifeguard's statement.. most HS teachers do only answer based on the age of the student but I know I always attempt to qualify my answers to make sure that if there is an exception they know about it.. just so they don't look like an ass if they repeat it word for word.

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
well in theory it could make you taller, I don't know if I have seen a document case of weight training increasing the height of kids, but it would be an interesting study, you would have to use all of the under height kids in a larger school divide them into groups and then go from there, now that sounds like a basic starting point for someones master's thesis...
now as for lifeguard's statement.. most HS teachers do only answer based on the age of the student but I know I always attempt to qualify my answers to make sure that if there is an exception they know about it.. just so they don't look like an ass if they repeat it word for word.
so in actual fact.... for the myth "weight lifting stunts growth"....it can actually promote it!? :D

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
From what I understand it should.. you might use the search function at the bottom to see if there is some reseach already done...

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Hmm...this is a very interesting discussion now...

I never really thought of this...

Squats, deads, rows and other compound exercises not only release GH, so in the long term, these multiple exercise-induced GH/Test bursts could result in increased bone growth/development...

As a matter of fact I was reading in the library today on how "thereputic" doses of Test Cypionate and enanthate are used to stimulate growth and puberty in boys...heh..kinda funny that y'all were talkin about this while I was reading about it :)

dez/null

Awards
personally I think its genetical on how tall you get and that how the growth hormone is actually USED depends on the person. For example if I lift weight im triggering my body into building muscle. thus the body (if im under the use of hGH) will trigger hyperplastia thus increaseing muscle size. It hasn't been proven that hGH is anabolic. Tho it increases muscle size does not mean it increases test and so forth.

Personally I wouldn't touch the **** without insulin or IGF-1 cycled togeather.

dez/null

Awards
As for lifting increaseing hight. I doubt it. I wouldn't be 5'2 then. It's all genetics.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Well dez, you might have been only 5 foot if you hadn't lifted :D

WiNgS

Banned
Awards
i think the real question here is "how much taller can it make you"? i doubt we are talking inches

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
true there wings but I had to mess with dez just had to :D

dez/null

Awards
Who said I was only going to be 5 foot?

My dad was is 5'5 I suspect I will grow no taller.

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by dez/null
Who said I was only going to be 5 foot?

My dad was is 5'5 I suspect I will grow no taller.
My dad is 5' 9" and I'm only 5' 2". So you can't count on that.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
True and my dad was 5'9" and I am 6', my twin is 6'1" and my sister is 5'7"

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
If I am not mistaken, need to dig up a few articles, but a big reason that core lifting does not increase height is due to the fact that the duration of the GH release is short, much shorter then GH injections. Further, the amount is predicatibly less and thus no growth. Also, some people argue that the compression generated from weight lifitng on young adolescents can stunt one's growth. Until I see better studies, I think its just an excuse to let kids do what they want, ie eat twinkies and get fat.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
whats that kid bodybuilders name? HEs like ripped as hell...damn i see him on talk shows and stuff..anyway...lets just see how tall he is when hes older.

dez/null

Awards
Originally posted by windwords7

My dad is 5' 9" and I'm only 5' 2". So you can't count on that.

How tall was your mother?

Remember genetics. its all or nothing.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Also height of grandparents matters. Recessive genes and all that blah blah blah. Ill let the scientists discuss genome mapping and all that etc.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
but whats that kids name...anyone know?

Zen_Lifter

Awards
Richard Sandlak (not sure on the spelling of the last name)

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
whats that kid bodybuilders name? HEs like ripped as hell...damn i see him on talk shows and stuff..anyway...lets just see how tall he is when hes older.

that kid will not grow over 5'

i knew a kid his brothers were all 6ft+

he was the only one that lifted for wrestling including all of his starving, he was 5'6
he has even admitted he thinks because of his early(12-16)
maximal lifting stunted his growth.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
that kid will not grow over 5'

i knew a kid his brothers were all 6ft+

he was the only one that lifted for wrestling including all of his starving, he was 5'6
he has even admitted he thinks because of his early(12-16)
maximal lifting stunted his growth.
Your saying it was the lifting and not the starving that stunted his growth? If your not eating it doesn't matter what you do, you ain't gonna be six feet.

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you Scottyo, there are really NO studies that prove or make it very reasonable to think that lifting heavy weights will stunt growth. OTOH, I'll bet that the last million or so years has seen young children do all kinds of heavy physical labour... Maybe parents are just really scared at the idea of a 13-year-old that dominates them physically..... ;)

From what we know of the body's functioning, it tends to REACT to the stimulus given it, quite opposite from just showing sings of having received it... Just like tanning, growing muscle, or even those creams that are supposed to hydrate the ladies' skin and make it wrinkle-free, that actually weaken its internal regenerative abilities... Making it eventually more wrinkled... Just like shaving, that makes the hair all that much harder and quicker-growing... etc. etc. etc.

Oh, and WiNgS, that avatar is DISTRACTING :D

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I can't help thinking of the female gymnasts at the Olympics. STUNTED is pretty much stamped on their odd little foreheads. Those ladies train from the time they can walk and when they're 26 they look like they are 9. Freaky.

I do think there is truth to heavy lifting or over training possibly stunting growth. We see it in ancient cultures and third world culture sof today however those situations are generally coupled with low protein , calorie restricted environments.

exogenous GH + protein + adequate rest will equal growth prior to the gorwth plates closing.

Endogenous GH + low calories/protein + inadequate rest..I'm betting this will lead to stunting.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
actually over the past 2-3 years of training i've gained about .5-1 inch in height :)