Stretching

Do you stretch for 5 minutes or longer a day?

• Never, only a few quickies for warmups.

Votes: 77 32.6%
  • Always

Votes: 86 36.4%
  • Sometimes, when I think of it.

Votes: 73 30.9%

• Total voters

joshingyou

Awards
I'm so guilty of not keeping up with stretching as much as I used to, or should!
being an avid martial artist in the past I could drop to splits no problem. I also stretched
probably 2 hrs worth a week. Now I just do enough to get by and can feel it catch up with
me on my running and biking.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I used to toy around with martial arts and was able to jump into the splits and hold indefinitely, jump kick the tops of door frames et cetera. That was 15 years ago..now I'm stiff as a board and can't even begin to get into some of the stretches I used to. Sad sad sad!

I keep threatening to take a few months off lifting and just do yoga everyday....but I don't because that wouldn't be ANY fun at all. LOL. I'll just do what every guy does..wait until I'm broken.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I'm so guilty of not keeping up with stretching as much as I used to, or should!
being an avid martial artist in the past I could drop to splits no problem. I also stretched
probably 2 hrs worth a week. Now I just do enough to get by and can feel it catch up with
me on my running and biking.
I am guilty of stretching neglect. It is quite important. I'll try harder. ;)

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Only at the gym :( I really need to start stretching as well since my short or inflexible hamstrings prevent my pelvis from rotating as much as it should and it is stressful for my lower back to do bent over rows, leg lifts, etc.

Brennon

Awards
Only at the gym :( I really need to start stretching as well since my short or inflexible hamstrings prevent my pelvis from rotating as much as it should and it is stressful for my lower back to do bent over rows, leg lifts, etc.
Hamstrings are typically the most OVERSTRETCHED muscle and are very, very rarely tight on anyone. Typically they are so stretched that they feel tight.

What happens for most people is that the hip flexors tighten up from sitting so much, which causes the pelvis (from a side view) to rotate counter clockwise. This shortens the quadriceps, lengthens the hamstrings and also results in tight lats. A LOT of backpain stems from this...when you see people with an excessive arch and a lot of forward lean when squatting this is also typically your culprit.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I found that in my 20's I could overlook all that wanker stuff and still get by. Now in my 30's I've developed several injuries over the last few years from not keeping limber.

I now make a point of always doing warmup stretches for the bigger lifts and also include stretching sessions on cardio days.

IMO you can pay a little now or a lot later...

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
how much stretching does one think is enough?

I know I stretch every muscle before working it out as a warm-up...and I also continue to stretch that muscle in between each set to keep the muscle from getting to pumped and leaving me incapable of full flexion/ROM.

I also will usually stretch out post-workout to trie and deplete all of the lactic acid from the muscle...and periodically throughout the next day if I'm sore.

My question is...is this enough? Or should I set aside actual sessions of stretching such as when I used to do martial arts?

regards,
COTC

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
Well, I attend this yoga class at my gym, twice a week and that stretching has made a big difference in weight training, sports and sex. I will not lie to you...that **** was hard but very rewarding.

The things I can do with my body are amazing to me and I give thanks to that 30 to 45 minutes of yoga.

Oh yea, there is some pretty ass ladies in my class and very flexible. ;)

Brennon

Awards

I know I stretch every muscle before working it out as a warm-up...and I also continue to stretch that muscle in between each set to keep the muscle from getting to pumped and leaving me incapable of full flexion/ROM.

I also will usually stretch out post-workout to trie and deplete all of the lactic acid from the muscle...and periodically throughout the next day if I'm sore.

My question is...is this enough? Or should I set aside actual sessions of stretching such as when I used to do martial arts?

regards,
COTC
Well, you really wouldn't want to stretch it before working it out. This will only make you weaker. Plus, some muscles are already stretched on some people...hamstrings are a big one. While others are typically tight...ie. lats, chest, quads, etc. If you stretch a muscle, you aren't going to be depleting any lactic acid...and lactic acid isn't what causes fatigue, muscle soreness, or that burning sensation anyhow, it's actually a buffer.

Ideally, use the foam roller (self myofascial release) after your workout and then stretch specific, tight muscles.

PrinceGeorgebod

Banned
Awards
When I get to the gym im too psyched to get at it. I dont have enough patience but once i do a few set Ill stretch my warm muscles. maybe 5 min at the most and im still getting tighter as I age. I think im missing out on post work out streches, thats prolly the difference.

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
I do stretch pause sets during my workout and I stretch post workout. I also massage my muscles sometimes.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
just starting to stretch at the gym after a particular muscle is done with.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i stretch each muscle group after i'm finished working it

dude

Awards
Hamstrings are typically the most OVERSTRETCHED muscle and are very, very rarely tight on anyone. Typically they are so stretched that they feel tight.

What happens for most people is that the hip flexors tighten up from sitting so much, which causes the pelvis (from a side view) to rotate counter clockwise. This shortens the quadriceps, lengthens the hamstrings and also results in tight lats. A LOT of backpain stems from this...when you see people with an excessive arch and a lot of forward lean when squatting this is also typically your culprit.
Where are you getting your information from? I see patients all of the time with very tight hamstrings, especially male athletes.

gixxman

Board Supporter
Awards
i stretch each muscle group after i'm finished working it
that is the best time...too bad i don't strech i'm still fairly flexible...just warm up on the treadmill to get the blood going and lift, i don't do any warm up sets thats my runing

SOWarrior

Board Supporter
Awards

What's the best way to stretch hip flexors? Anyone know?

PrinceGeorgebod

Banned
Awards
I have dificulty not overarching as my back is stronger than my legs( I think) so i lean too forward and put too much strain on my back. HOw again, do you strech the culprit muscles?

Brennon

Awards
Where are you getting your information from? I see patients all of the time with very tight hamstrings, especially male athletes.
Muscle tightness isn't necessarily snyonymous with inflexibility...

Smoky

Banned
Awards
  • Established
In a nutshell, work the joints through their full range of movement. Like anything else we learn the proper forms for doing so,

Beebs

Awards
I like to stretch during the begining of my workouts during the warm-up sets. It really seems to help keep me loose and keeps the soreness down a little, especially on those first couple squat sets early in the morning while I'm still a little stiff. I used to run a whole lot in highschool though so its a good habit.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Right now I am a nutrition and fitness major, and even though i am just an undergrad I cannot find one professor on the campus i am at that would recommend stretching before lifting. If you do stretch a cold muscle (according to the head of our exercise phys department) it is more likely to get get injured. But stretching after is highly recommended and will aid with recovery.

Beebs

Awards
So what if you do warm-up sets and or 10 minutes light cardio and then stretch and then lift?

BobbyRay

Awards
I stretch 3x per week and use a foam roller twice weekly both for about 30 min at a time. The foam roller helps more with flexibility and recovery, IMO.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
IMO, warm up with light cardio for 5-10 min, then some warmup sets (so obviously some easy sets of sets of 10 and then a set that is a little heavier for five, just to get yourself ready) Then static stretching after you complete you workout, or at least after you are thoroughly warmed up.

johngalt

Awards
Anyone ever try The Big Stick (www.thestick.com)? I've tried the foam roller but I can never relax enough on it to get the myofacial release that it's supposed to give.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
I started doing very deep stretching after working that particular muscle for a few months now and the results have been incredible, I am getting stronger every workout and the i am putting size on a steady rate (i am a natty), beeze has been doing the same stretches if i remember correctly. Go check it out @ intensemuscle.com under extreme stretches sticky, there painful but they work, JMO and feedback using them.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stretch 3x per week and use a foam roller twice weekly both for about 30 min at a time. The foam roller helps more with flexibility and recovery, IMO.
I've just started using a foam roller myself. Do you know of any good stretches for the shoulders? I've had a hard time finding any information on this particular joint with regards to foam rolling, beyond what was shown in a T-mag article awhile back.

rake922

Awards
I stretch after.. stretching before has been proven to make you weaker during lifts

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
Brennon knows what he's talkin 'bout. Many people have an anterior pelvic tilt, which will make the hamstrings feel tight, because they're in a lengthened position. Strengthen and tighten them, stretch the quads and hip flexors.

Anyway, i only (dynamically) stretch before my workouts.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

regards,
COTC
yeah bro I think this is enough. I stretch between sets or flex, and do Dc stretching usually at the end of a training session.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DC stretches after training and full body stretches before BJJ. I can easily do the splits laterally and vertically, which has helped out my submission game immensely.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I could start another thread but here it is

how long is your PR stretch and what exercise?

For back.Hanging widegrip stretch with a 45 attached to a belt 1:05
Incline Db fly stretch 1 min
havnt timed the others.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
about a minute and a half with 55 on my waist on the hanging back...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
quad stretch 2 mins 20 secs
Sddl with just the bar stretch 2 mins
shoulder out from sythe 3 mins

semper60003

Awards
i usually stretch after my 5-10 warmups, don't want to pull anything while my muscles are cold

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I stretch for about 5 minutes everyday before my workout. I also find myself stretching specific muscle groups when I get home from my workout if I feel especially tight.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't stretch "RIGHT" before resistance training

Stretching for flexibility is great and for "some" needed. It's already been mentioned here that it's best to stretch after a workout, but I'll re-emphasize it. I could have summarized a strength & conditioning research article in my own words to sound like a genius like those chemists do when they talk about nomenclatures, but I decided against it. Here's the research article's link, its a heck of a long read, so unless you are truly fascinated by exercise science or have a personal vested interest in the effects of stretching on "PERFORMANCE" don't even bother. It's not a glancer article.
http://faculty.fullerton.edu/leebrown/PDF Files/Cramer-stretching.pdf

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I use to practice karate and my sensei honed in on the importance of stretching.. all that went out myear as soon as I finished. Now I am really appreciating the importance of it. Improved flexibility and less soreness allows me to train harder the next day, and that's why I do it. My schedule doesn't allow me to slack and take too many days off just because I'm a bit sore.

Those who mentioned the foam roller - it is so painful, especially on the sides of your legs, but doing it consistently and often makes it more manageable.. I grit my teeth and force it to roll on the toughest parts.. no pain no gain, lol

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
My massage therapist informed me that she recently learned that it takes a good stretch and to hold it for two minutes for a good release. Not cold obviously.

Amor Est Vitae Essentia,

NEoborn

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I never stretch before I workout... I believe my muscles are right when I get to then (unless I am injured or feeling stiff).

I stretch about 3-5 hours afterwards.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I never stretch before I workout... I believe my muscles are right when I get to then (unless I am injured or feeling stiff).

I stretch about 3-5 hours afterwards.
Interesting. I don't mind some ballistic stretching after some light warm up sets, or some glute activation type exercises before squats.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I don't think there has ever been a study showing that stretching before exercise is beneficial in any way. But there are studies out there that show it is beneficial to stretch after exercise.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Believe it or not, hard stretching afterwards helped me get through my last plateau as I hadn't been doing it up until then..

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
over strecthing is my biggest problem. I used to strecth 3-4 times a day for 45 minutes. I now have incredible flexibility but a bad right hammy that wont heal. For athletes perfect hamstring flexibility is defined as being able to touch ure toes. I have gone far beyond that and i think im just gonna let it heal and stop strecthing for a while.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I stretch after.. stretching before has been proven to make you weaker during lifts
Very true, if you're talking about static stretching. Before lifting :nono:.. after lifting :thumbsup:.

btw, 1000th post!

GeneralIx

Awards
I never stretch. I can see the point if you're stiff as ****, but I'm still able to put both my legs behind my neck and stretch my hamstrings standing from a plateau and touching the ground, so I reckon I don't need them. Also I think that if you're too flexible, you could increase the risk of injury by loosing some of your stability. Can't really prove that though.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
It is funny that people who are flexible will tell you not to stretch before you workout. If i don't stretch my groin, hams and hip flexors before i squat i am not going to get much acomplished. If i don't stretch my hip flexors before benching my arch is going to suffer. If i don't stretch my hams before i deadlift my back hurts a little.
Some of us who are a little older, a little bigger, and a little more beat up need to stretch just to lift.