Whats your routine/split?

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
In a couple weeks I am going to be changing my routine up from my powerlifting one right now to a more bodybuilding type routine. I am having a hard time devising a split that I really like, I am thinking of a 4 or 5 day split, but with the 5 day split I would have to have a day off in the middle, but the problem I am running into with it is not getting enough recovery of muscle groups to where they would interfere with other lifts on a different day. I will post a more detailed response of what I am looking for in a couple hours, but I have class right now.

So if you all could just post what your routine/split looks like I would appreciate it, just trying to do a little brain storming!!

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well it's a 6 day not a 5 day... and it's designed to hit everything twice a week, with periodization incorporated... And I haven't implemented it yet.. (waiting for my next cycle)... but damn it, if I don't think it's well planned. :mrgreen:

Will I overtrain? We'll see.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Damn Poobah, thats one hell of a set up!! Its extremely organized and I like how you have the muscle groups split up and hitting them from different angles. I have been giving it thought some on hitting each muscle group twice a week, I just dont know if I can take that much, it seems I get overtrained really easy, but since I will be backing off the poundage some maybe it wont be as bad? I tried a 6 day split last winter when I was in a training cycle for a meet...that lasted about 2 weeks and I was just fried.

One style of periodization that I have thought of is upping the days/week working out, pyramiding it up for loading, then drop back down to a base workout to deload and recover, then resume loading again.

Week 1: 4 day split
Week 2: 4 day split
Week 3: 5 day split
Week 4: 6 day split
Week 5: 3 day split (core lifts, minimal accessory work, something like mon-chest/shoulders/tris, wed- legs, fri- back/bis
Repeat Loading

Thats just one idea I have kinda been thinking about, although not to seriously, its about the only way I can see it possible for my body to be able to go to a super high volume workout, but then drop down to a lower frequency for a couple weeks to aid recovery and then load again. Just an idea.....I got so many ideas going through my head I dont know what to do lol, its not rocket science!!

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
What is mainly messing up how I am setting up my schedule is I am trying to fit in a day for bis/tris. I am wanting an arm day because I havent had a specific arm day for bis/tris for over a year, and in the past I always seemed to notice the best growth in my arms when I had an arm day. Probably sounds pretty gay that my bi/tri day is fucking up my routine lol, but thats whats giving me problems. When I used to do my high volume 5 day/week split, this was like over 1.5 years ago, here is what it was like:

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Legs
Wednesday- Back
Thursday- Shoulders/traps
Friday- Tris/Bis

It worked pretty good back then, but last year when I started trying it again, it just zapped me, but I was also trying to lift as heavy as possible on pretty much everything lol. Maybe I just need to give it another shot and see how it goes.

Some other ideas that I have thought of to make a 4 day split and have an arm day would be combining shoulders with chest day, I would do shoulders after all my chest work as I have a higher priority for my chest, but I think my shoulders could still get some decent growth from this? Here is how it would be set up:

Monday: Chest/shoulders
Tuesday: Back/traps
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Tris/Bis
Friday: Legs

Now that I look at that, I really dont like it either lol. Legs at the end of the week when you are running out of motivation wouldnt be much fun...I could put legs on thursday i guess and hit bis/tris friday, and still have 72 hrs for my tris to recover before monday's chest/shoulder workout. I am just kinda thinking out loud here.

So whatever you guy's workouts are right now, whether its a 2 day/week routine or all the way up to a 6 day/week routine, post it up, I want to see it!!:D

ABiLiTY

ABiLiTY

Awards
  • Established
This is my second phase of pct

Monday 3x8

deadlift
split squat
GHR
curls

Weds 5x3

Incline bench
Chins
Mil Press
Tri Ext

Friday 5x3
Squat
Snatch from blocks
Leg press
Calfs

Sat 3x8

Db bench
Dips
Overhead Db press
Low rows

My next phase i will be doing

Day 1:Chest and back
Day 2: legs
Day 3: off
Day 4: arms
Day 5: off (every second 5th day calfs and abs)
Day 6:Repeat

Rep ranges will be 1 ex per body part at 10x5 then the next workout 10X4, next workout 10X3
Then an accesory ex for each body part at 3x6-8

For legs Im splitting quad and hip dominant.

so legs: A1)Deadlift 10x5 A2) front squat 10x5. B1) Leg curls 3x6-8 B2)split squat 3x6-8

I will have 2 diffrent workouts for each training session(muscle group) which will alternate.

Modeled after Charles Poloquin's New German Volume training.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Thats a pretty neat split Ability, do you feel you are able to recover alright from squatting and deadlifting in the same week?

Another thing I am wanting to add is hang cleans, not for sure where to throw them in. With the split I am doing now I could throw them in on shoulder day which would be 2 days after legs, but I am not necessarily using that split, back to the drawing board....

come on guys, post it up!!!

Blown_SC

Blown_SC

Eh Hole Board Supporter
Awards
Day 1 - Squats/DL/GM....
Day 2 - Bench

:D

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Blown, I did something very similar to that this summer, I just didnt have the energy for big workouts, so I just stuck with pretty basic stuff.

Here is a 4 day split I just came up with, not necessarily what I am going with, just an idea.

Monday- Chest/Shoulders
Flat Bench 3-4x6
Incline DB bench 3x8
Arnold press 3x8
Cable flyes

Tuesday- Back/Traps
Hang cleans 3x3
Bent over rows 4x5
Pullups 4 sets
Upright rows 3x8
Shrugs 4 sets heavy

Thursday- Tris/Bis
Dips 3x6
Skullcrushers 3x6-8
Tri ext 4x8

Barbell curls 4x8
Hammer curls 3x8
Incline curls 3x12
- few sets of wrist curls

Friday- Legs
Squat or deadlift 4x6
SLDL 3x8
Lunges 3x12

I am considering maybe throwing in some arnold presses and a few side raises in on arm day to try and hit shoulders again, just going to have to see how energy levels are able to hold up to all that work. Opinions?

Still looking for more ideas;)

ABiLiTY

ABiLiTY

Awards
  • Established
Nate,

I like deadlifting and squating in the same week. Deadlift def takes allot out of me so i go by feel. The last 3 weeks ive done 2 heavy sets 405X8 then i drop some weight and do some snatch grip deads for the longer range to really pound my hams. I feel pretty well recovered since my overall volume is pretty low, and i got 3 full days rest inbetween.

your split u just posted looks pretty good, although i would probbaly like to put legs earlier in the week. Also, u could set it up so you could never have 2 upper body days in a row.

I would do

Monday chest shoulders
Tuesday legs
Thursday arms
Saturday back and traps

I don't kno if you can train on saturday, but i think this would work well.

When you gettin back "on"?

This way everyday you would pretty much be fresh.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
I really like that set up alot better Ability, with mon/tues/thurs/sat. I would prefer legs earlier in the week too, it just seems when its friday being the end of the week, always ready for the weekend and a nice break and squats probably wont sound too enticing lol.

As far as cycling, I am about as on as a person can be lol, running test/tren/npp/drol. This cycle is going to be fairly long.....

ABiLiTY

ABiLiTY

Awards
  • Established
o ****, i thought u were off right now.

hows that going for ya?

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
It is going really good, I am ready to get this meet over with so I can get back to a regular routine and really focus on putting on some more size. Last week I started cutting my volume down some, this week I am only lifting twice, just working on bench and deadlift to figure out my openers, and next week probably wont do a think just to peak my CNS for the meet. I hate all this sitting around and waiting lol, I am just ready to go and do it!!

When is your cycle starting or did you already start it? You are gonna love the tren;)

charliewat

Awards
This has worked for me.
Day 1 - Chest & Curls
Day 2 - Back & Tris
Day 3 - Legs & Abs
Day 4 - Shoulders
Day 5 - Off

If you want 6 days then take and off day between day 2 and 3. For shoulder day I use light weight and high rep cause I work my shoulders a little on days 1 and 2 when I go heavy on bench and rows.

Blown_SC

Blown_SC

Eh Hole Board Supporter
Awards
This has worked for me.
Day 1 - Chest & Curls
Day 2 - Back & Tris
Day 3 - Legs & Abs
Day 4 - Shoulders
Day 5 - Off

If you want 6 days then take and off day between day 2 and 3. For shoulder day I use light weight and high rep cause I work my shoulders a little on days 1 and 2 when I go heavy on bench and rows.
Geez, that could never work for me. Doing Tris right after bench, and the same for Back after curls would friggin kill me... would be tore up like a bitch. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess.

ABiLiTY

ABiLiTY

Awards
  • Established
I'm not starting till December 12. so i got a lil to go. I cant wait.

I wish i could start now... but ive only been off 6.5 weeks.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It's not oriented towards body building, but here's the routine I've been following lately. Core work for abs is done on the off days. I also usually do curls as an addition to the dead lift day. Blue is one day, green the next, blue the next, etc. I entered some weights into the purple starting field so the weight progression could be seen.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It's not oriented towards body building, but here's the routine I've been following lately. Core work for abs is done on the off days. I also usually do curls as an addition to the dead lift day. Blue is one day, green the next, blue the next, etc. I entered some weights into the purple starting field so the weight progression could be seen.

Here's the image.

Last edited:

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Is that a mon/wed/fri split or how do you rotate through the week CDB? I really like how it is just your basic core movements, looks really good for getting strong. Assuming it is a mon/wed/fri split, I noticed how you varied your intensity of the weights on your final sets, looks good. I tried the 5x5 squat program where you squat 3 times a week, Monday being 5x5 at a set weight, pretty much all out sets, Wednesday is 5x5 at a set weight with 15-20% less weight than Mondays workout to deload the CNS (this actually seemed to be the hardest day for me...weird?) and Friday was build up to a 5RM. It worked really good for me, just got tired of squatting 3x a week lol, and I was squatting with a really wide stance then so my hips were taking a beating by the 5th week.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Is that a mon/wed/fri split or how do you rotate through the week CDB? I really like how it is just your basic core movements, looks really good for getting strong. Assuming it is a mon/wed/fri split, I noticed how you varied your intensity of the weights on your final sets, looks good. I tried the 5x5 squat program where you squat 3 times a week, Monday being 5x5 at a set weight, pretty much all out sets, Wednesday is 5x5 at a set weight with 15-20% less weight than Mondays workout to deload the CNS (this actually seemed to be the hardest day for me...weird?) and Friday was build up to a 5RM. It worked really good for me, just got tired of squatting 3x a week lol, and I was squatting with a really wide stance then so my hips were taking a beating by the 5th week.
Wednesday, Friday, Sunday is my split actually. I have a consistent partner on Sundays so I try to put any workouts where I'd possibly need a spotter on that day. I've had a few friends try this with good strength and mass gains. It's a bit of a variation on HST that one of the posters on the HST boards came up with. or at least that's where I got the basic outline. Strength oriented but with a high enough frequency and frequent enough load increase to stimulate a decent amount of hypertrophy too. You do it until you plateau, decondition for two weeks and then start again a little below where you left off. Don't go more than eight weeks. Definitely one of the better workouts I've used.

ABiLiTY

ABiLiTY

Awards
  • Established
i like it. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that's what I liked about it. I'm a big fan of simplicity in design. It's a very effective workout too.