Help with my friends foot....please

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Ok so a female friend/coworker of mine has recently taken up running as a sport. So far she's ran up to an 18 mile marathon and is in training for the NYC marathon coming up in November. For the past week or so the top of her foot has been swollen and in pain. She went to a PT and had him email her the diagnosis which is as follows

"Jennifer,
The primary problem with your ankle is the joint between the talus and the calcareous (heel). It is not moving properly causing the shock of walking/running to not be evenly distributed throughout the lower extremity. Aggravating this problem the tendons of the peroneus brevis and peroneus tertius are binding under the lateral retinaculum, this binding or adhesions are causing an inability to let the muscles function normally and has lead to adhesions within the muscles. Another factor in limiting your ability to dorsiflex your foot is a tight calf muscle. I hope you find this explanation useful."

What do you folks reccomend I can tell her to help?

Thanks

H19

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
muscle adhesions and tight muscles? I'd suggest an aggressive stretching routine and maybe ART massage or similar sports massage.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
OK I was thinking ART also...thanks.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
x-rays might be a good idea, possible stress fracture (ive got one in my right foot currently because i ran too much in a short period of time). if the x rays come up negative (sometimes SF cant be seen untill the foot begins to heal the bone) go get a bone scan or and MRI.

this is just another option.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Also ask her if she got fitted for a running shoe or just bought them on her own.. IF she is going to continue to run she might want to see a rep from one of the running stores.. like http://www.fleetfeet.com/ they do a great job fitting the shoes because they take the time to watch you run and walk while they are fitting your shoe

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Also ask her if she got fitted for a running shoe or just bought them on her own.. IF she is going to continue to run she might want to see a rep from one of the running stores.. like http://www.fleetfeet.com/ they do a great job fitting the shoes because they take the time to watch you run and walk while they are fitting your shoe
I suggested that to her before she complained about her foot. I think she just tried to do to much too soon. She has only been running for no more then 5 or so months, and is already doing the NYC marathon, and runs like 10 miles a day.

She did get xrays and what not of her foot. That is the guy that emailed her the original info I posted

As for the running shoes, she just got new ones from a running store, like actualy good ones for like 150..FINALLy..

she says her foot is ok now, ..."women"

thanks for all the input though guys

h19

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
i wish my foot healed that fast

good to hear it turn out alright.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
tell her proper stretching and massage (if she wants to pay for it) can PREVENT injury in the future as well :)

briancaswell

Awards
it is an over use injury, sounds like she sprained it or has plantar faciaitis. changing shoes will help it temporarily (espcially if they are a little more padded on the bottoms and the area that touches the bottom of the foot), but it WILL come back if she does not rest it.

i played football (tight end/wr) and ran track in college and i had a foot injury ruin an entire season for me in both sports- rotate ice and heat on it religiosly and hit it w/ a stem, and don't run on it until she feels NO pain on it while walking, or it will get continously worse and eventually will turn into a stress fracture. as an athlete, i know it is hard to sit out, but sometimes you have to. as a beginning runner, she probably thinks if she sits out it will mess up her progress, but if she gets a stress fracture it will put her out for at least 2-3 months, when the original injury will take a week or two to heal if she STAYS off of it. hope this helps

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
tell her proper stretching and massage (if she wants to pay for it) can PREVENT injury in the future as well :)

lol..I'll offer it for free...