congratulations Nate Dawg!

knox

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to congratulate you nate for blasting out 400lbs on flat bench tonight (raw). Not very many people can throw up that much weight at sub 10 percent body fat. Right now he is hanging around 204lbs and around 6% bf. It wasn't even 2 1/2 years ago 225lbs was kicking your ass. No better way of saying "i told you so".

Respect.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
damn. congrats nate. that's some weight right there. how many did ya rep out?

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
congrats Nate, you are a beast for sure.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
wtg nate, that's incredible!:box:

i'm doing around 225 right now, 2 and a half years? that's all!?

i'm telling you, between your eating log and this, I get more and more inspiration everyday.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
LOL thanks buddy, I saw the title of this thread browsing through and I thought I won something!! lol, I guess I won a log of copenhagen huh;) Beelze, I got it once, tried 385 for a triple before I did 400 and got it twice with a little help on the third. Congrats on your 455 tonight knox, that was pretty much the first time you ever tried a shirt too lol. It was so fast, seriously!!

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
wtg nate, that's incredible!:box:

i'm doing around 225 right now, 2 and a half years? that's all!?

i'm telling you, between your eating log and this, I get more and more inspiration everyday.
Thanks cable, just keep plugging away, it will come. Never be satisfied with where you are at, be proud of what you have accomplished, but never settle, just keep pushing and fighting for more and more, that extra rep or just that extra pound. Train smart and keep a log of all your workouts so you can look back and see what has been working and what isnt.

knox

Awards
  • Established
Never be satisfied with where you are at, be proud of what you have accomplished, but never settle .
i recognize that quote from somewhere.;)

As for the log of chew.....uhhhmmmmmm...****. I shouldn't have reminded you.:FUfinger:
455 was pretty dang fast wasn't it.:run: LoL

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Congrats nate, that's a huge lift!

:dance:

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Congratulations Nate. :) Now on to the next obstacle. Mush mush mush!

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
WOW! thats better then when i hit a guy playing golf...

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
LOL, ya but getting to watch a video of you hitting a guy while golfing would be alot more fun to watch!:D

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That's just incredible...

Big congradulations to you.. that's the goal I want to hit in the distant future... way distant future.. but I'm aiming for it.

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
That's just incredible...

Big congradulations to you.. that's the goal I want to hit in the distant future... way distant future.. but I'm aiming for it.
Ditto Nate!

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
much respect nate, nothing but work hard there
and even more impressive at such a low BF

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
so like... what did you take and stuff?

j/k.... amazed it hasn't been asked. That's some seriously awesome dedication and hard chest pounding work.

nodgodbod

Awards
Congrats Nate -What kind of bench training routine are you using these days anyway? cus mine is plateaued with a while and I'm looking to focus on strength

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
For bench I am just working it once a week, I think it would probably go up a bit faster if I was doing a speed day, but I didnt feel like doing that.

Flat Bench: Work up to 3RM
Incline DB Bench: 3x8
Weighted dips: 2x8
Tri Ext: 4x6-8

Thats about what my chest/tri day has been looking like. Have a meet coming up, and the past couple weeks I have been dropping the accessory stuff just focusing on bench. Just really focus on trying to add weight each week to your 3RM, or possibly do the same weight as the previous week and try to hit 4 reps, then up the weight 5lbs for the next week. Dont wear yourself out with unnecessary reps warming up. Here is an example of my workout on bench that day:

barx15
135x8
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x2
350x1
385x2+1 (tried for 3, but needed a little spot for 3rd rep)
400x1

Its pretty simple really, I just throw the db presses in there so I can get a little extra growth, and the dips I mainly do for tricep strength. I notice for me, I cant hit weighted dips more than 2 weeks consecutively or else my shoulders really start to ache and tendonitis flares up in my elbows, so usually I will hit dips for a couple weeks, take a couple weeks off and go back. I like to pick a couple favorite tricep exercises and then out of those pick one to really focus increasing strength on. For a couple weeks my strength will steadily increase, then once it plateaus I switch to a different exercise and just continue the cycle. When you get back to the first exercise you will have hardly lost much if any strength and you will be able to continue strength gains.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
thanks ill get at you dawg

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hey nate, i've been curious about the speed and strength day breakdown that a lot of people do. I'm still learning, so if anyone can point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
There is alot of detailed information on the speed/ max effort days with westside training, some good sites to check out are www.elitefts.com and www.westside-barbell.com i think the westside is the correct site...

The general rule they go by is your max effort day is 72 hours after your speed day, but that doesnt have to necessarily be set in stone I suppose. How most westside trainers lift is speed day on wednesday and max effort on saturday. For speed day you usually do around 9 sets of 2-3 reps at 50-60% of your 1RM. You can use added resistance such as bands and chains here also, there are many options here. One way you could do it is one week just do straight weight for all your sets, next week use bands, following week use chains then repeat. You can also use a waved volume routine by say the first week you use 50% of your max, the next week use 55% of your max, following week use 60% of your max and repeat. Once you feel you have all those weights moving really fast you can start upping the weight. The key to speed day is not so much the weight, but just working on pure speed and explosiveness. They say the goal is to complete the one set of 2-3 reps in the same amount of time it takes you to complete your 1 rep max, you are moving a much lighter weight but at such a faster pace it really trains your CNS to fire harder and more in synch, so in theory the amount of weight you are moving in a given time period would be about the same as the amount of weight you move in a max, but not as strenuous on the body.

For max effort you can work up to a 1-3RM is usually what they do. For me a 3RM is as heavy as I can go without having to take the following week off, it is just too much for my CNS and my strength will drop if I try to come back the week after hitting a heavy single. Just have to find what works best for you. Where the westside style of training overcomes this problem is constantly changing exercises. You have several different max effort exercises to choose from for bench, you want to pick exercises that have a good carryover to the flat bench obviously. At elitefts.com there is an article by Dave Tate that gives all of the ME bench and squat exercises to choose from. A few would be flat bench, floor press, board press- here you can choose between several different board heights, close grip bench, incline bench, decline bench and so on. For beginners you can usually stick with a given exercise for ~3 weeks before you stagnate, then change to a different exercise. Each week you have to do more than the previous week, if you fail at doing this, it is time to change exercises. This is just a brief overview, there are alot more in depth explanations at those sites I gave, hope this helps.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
wow, your chest day looks exactly like mine, excpet I do decline close grip for triceps at the end.

i remember how excited I was the first time I got 135 up! lol those were the days, when growth was easy!