new split ideas

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
OK....I'm about to finish my Summer "stay lean" experiment. This Friday I'm going in for umbilical hernia surgery so I'll have a little rehab period and then I'm into the bulking season. My workout partner was asking about going 5 days on 2 off instead of throwing an off day in the middle of the split (which is what I prefer).

My plan was to increase frequency and reduce volume (typical when I'm bulking). But I've never trained 5 days straight. So does anyone have some ideas on a 5 day split with 2-3X frequency per muscle group?

Let the party begin :djparty:

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Here is a link to a couple programs that have a 2x week frequency, I have never tried them but might give them a shot sometime down the road. It is 4 days a week instead of 5, but it is a 2x frequency routine. The one is Dual Factor Hypertrophy Training, the other geared more towards strength is Dual Factor Strength Training. I dont know if I could get through the whole workout unless I was on cycle, but you could give it a shot. Let me rephrase that, I could get through the workouts fine, I just wouldnt be able to use as much weight as I would like on how my training is set up now, so that always frustrates me when I am so much more fatigued and cant use near the poundage I usually do.

http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/showthread.php?t=134233013

I am not for sure how you would set up a program that was 5 days a week with 2-3x frequency for each muscle group, but when I used to train 5 days a week this is what I did:

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Legs
Wednesday-Back
Thursday- Shoulders/traps
Friday- Bis/Tris

I dont think I could train that way any more for very long and I would be overtrained, since I have increased my strength so much from what it used to be it just seems I get overtrained so much easier. One way you could get your 2x frequency in that 5 day workout would be throw in a few shoulder/tri exercises in with chest day, a couple chest exercises in with shoulder/tri day, and some lighter squats on friday with arms. I dont think it would work for me b/c I would get overtrained, but it is worth a shot. I think the main reason I seem to get overtrained so easily is that I am always working >90% max for my core lifts, and even some of my accessory lifts I go down to a 4RM, I know I should up the reps on the accessory lifts, but its so much fun going heavy!!! lol. Let us know if you come up with any good ideas.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
By the way, on the link I gave you, I have done the 5x5 set up for squats where you squat 3x week, it was a bitch, but after 4 weeks of the program I added 40lbs to my 5x5 sets, and that was in pct!! It is pretty tough, but rewarding. The 4th and 5th sets actually seem to get easier due to your CNS becoming more efficient.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
GREAT INFO Nate!!! :dance:

I didn't get a chance to read it all...but certainly this will be a good study post op. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Anyone else?

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
The guy Animal Mass that posted those routines is the same guy MattALRI that was posting here last May or so and was giving some good info on training and getting strong, but everyone wanted to disagree with saying that his methods dont work. What I found comical about the whole deal is most everyone here who was arguing with him probably cant lift half of what he does and isnt near the size he is. Yes I know knowledge doesnt equal size and vice versa, but obviously the training programs he advocates arent crap.

Im with you SJA on trying to find a new routine for bulking, right now still doing mainly powerlifting split for about 4 more weeks, then I was thinking of going to something that would help put on size a bit better for me. Having a very hard time deciding what I want to do with my split, was thinking 5 days/week and see how that feels like how I used to do, or else possibly 2 on 1 off, but what I dont like about that is your workouts dont consistently fall on the same day, which really isnt a problem, but I just really like a SET schedule. Then there is DC training 3x week.....ahhh so many choices what to do!!! lol

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
haha....I hear ya. I also like a "set" schedule. I'm hoping that a large dose of vicodin will bring me to the BB spirit world and it will all be clear. I'll let you know if that happens......or if I just fall asleep for two days :D

Thanks for the link. I always wondered where Swale went....now I know.