shinsplints

S

speakle

DONT F$*# WITH MY NUTS!
Awards
I had these a while ago and as natedogg stated rest will fix it. To prevent it I bought a good pair of new balance running shoes and made sure the stretch the crap out of my calves before any cardio. Stretch the calf real good and also make sure to stretch the front of the leg as well by doing toe raises more or less. Stand on something with yoru heels and let your toes hang down and stretch and hold it. Since doing this I have had no troubles.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Actually, sounds funny, but writing the ABC's with your feet works too.

D

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've found that they generally go away on their own. The situations that I've had them, I wasn't really able to rest much(trying to make the cut for teams).
But man do they suck.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I have had shin splints ever since I could remember. They always come back when I run long distances.

C

CREAO

Awards
yea, i have football practice now and its brutal to run quick sprints on my
toes, my speed has suffered alot because of them.

S

speakle

DONT F$*# WITH MY NUTS!
Awards
Be careful pushing yourself. I think I read somewhere that this can be caused by the tendon actually tearing off of the bone slightly.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
The term shin splints refers to a painful condition that develops along the inside (medial edge) of the shin (tibia). The usual location is along the lower half of the tibia, anywhere from a few inches above the ankle to about half-way up the shin. The repeated running cycle of pounding and push off results in muscle fatigue, which may then lead to higher forces being applied to the fascia, the attachment of fascia to bone, and finally the bone itself. Respectively, this represents a spectrum from mild to severe. On the relatively more severe end of the scale the injury may progress from stress reaction within the bone to an actual stress fracture.

In the early stage of shin splints a runner will describe a pain that is present when the training run first begins, but then disappears as running continues. The pain will often return after exercise or the following morning. As the injury progresses the athlete will experience more time with the pain, and less time without it. There is frequently a tender zone along the medial edge of the tibia that one can map out by pressing with the fingertips as they “march up� along the bone. Eventually, if ignored and training continued, the pain may become quite sharp and may focus on a very small area of the bone. If this happens a stress fracture should be considered.

The treatment for shin splints is rest. Depending upon severity it is often necessary to completely stop running for a period of time. Generally this is done until day-to-day activities are pain free. When running is resumed – and this is where many injured runners make a mistake – it must be significantly different from the routine that lead to the injury. The concept of relative rest employs lengthening the interval between training as well as decreasing the volume and intensity of training. One can often substitute cross-training activities (e.g., bicycling) for running to help increase the interval between running days. There should be a graded and gradual increase in run training, keeping an eye out for the return of any shin splint symptoms.

Stretching and strengthening the calf muscles can help prevent the injury from returning. However the most important preventive strategy is not to repeat the mistakes that lead to the injury. Examine all the training variables – surface, shoes, training volume, intensity, workout type, hills, weather conditions, etc. Seek help from a qualified trainer or coach. This all takes time and effort, but it is well worth it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SilkPhantom Supplements 30