Votes: 17 7.7%
  • ...to inject them with IGF-1 every day for a couple months

Votes: 31 14.0%

• Total voters

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Tried all kinds of things. For me, I think the best I've found so far is ONE giant set to multiple failure at every weight on a machine, twice a week.

For example, I use a standing calf machine, put 500lbs on it, do 20 reps or so to failure, then, quickly drop the weight to 450 for about 8 to failure, 400 lbs, 350 lbs, 300 lbs, etc. etc. Sometimes I wimp out before failing at 50lbs... :p

I'm looking to learn other people's favourite method of growing calves. Who knows, we might even have some kind of consensus?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i've tried every damn program under the sun and i think they grew 0.00001mm last year. drop sets, high reps, low reps, heavy, light, DC 15 second pause, 5 second negatives, TUT, once a week, twice a week, and currently three times a week, etc. i even injected IGF directly into them for a stint to see if there was any localized benefit, nada. when you find the answer, do share.

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I didn't see synthol in your poll. I think that's the only way mine would grow. :frustrate

dd

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You know, Im not a fan of synthol - but that's one area where it might have some benefit. Stretching the fascia with mild synthol use and then going to town with some serious training and a solid anabolic cycle might get them going strong.

My calves were literally twigs when I started training. They're OK now, but nothing spectacular. The only way I could get them to grow was by POUNDING them 3 days a week, doing sets that totaled 50-100 reps each workout.

BV

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Did you ever notice how people who use to be very obese all have huge calves? I guess that spells HIGH VOLUME, HIGH FREQUENCY for us all, come to think of it........... ?

Pulling a sled?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
if any one wants to know the secret to getting your calves grow contact me and for 100 bucks i'll tell you ;)

Cheezefacta

Awards
I train mine once a week with some seated and standing calf raises. I do a static hold for 5 seconds at the top of the rep and go with a weight that I fail at with about 15-20 reps. I get plenty of compliments on my calves, but its probably going to be different for everyone else.

jbeam

Awards
I'm gonna try training mine HEAVY w/low volume 3 x a wk. Ive tried about everything else and they REFUSE to grow past 17.5" IT pisses me off cuz my upper arm is bigger then my calves and it just looks funny. I've tried high rep, high volume stuff to no avail. So i'm HOPING this will do it.

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I know I'll probably be stoned to death for this. Both my calves hover around the 19" mark. I really don't train my calves all that much.:run: Once in a blue moon I'll do heavy sets of 15s on the seated and standing calf raise machine. It seems to have worked for me. I usually do 2-3 work sets with 1 or 2 warm up sets.

Guido

Awards
Well some of the greatest calves of all time (Arnold's) were built with crappy genetics as a base. It's kind of like any other body part. Some people genetically just have gigantic, well defined calves and either dont need to train them at all or very little. However, as i'm sure you all know the story, arnold used to cut the bottoms off his sweats when he worked out to remind him of how shitty his calves looked. Many many punds, reps, and DBol cycles later, his calves were some of the best of all time (IMO, THE best). So yes, AAS helps, but if NOTHING has worked for you just do whatever Arnold did, which as I recall was a constant mixture of HEAVY hi volume training. In fact sometimes during chest day, if he did 20 sets fo chest, he's do calves in between, So,1 set chest, 1 sets calves, and alternate that for the whole session. But from everything i've read, arnold was a big advocate of HEAVY weight, and it makes sense. Unlike any other bodypart, your calves are used to the constant pounding of you bodyweight, day in and day out. Therefore, you need to really overload them with heavy weight and hi volume to force them to grow. But anything more than twice a week is overkill if you're training intensely enough.

Onslaught

Awards
  • Established
Just an FYI:

Human soleus muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise.

Trappe TA, Raue U, Tesch PA.

Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.

AIM: It is generally believed the calf muscles in humans are relatively unresponsive to resistance training when compared with other muscles of the body. The purpose of this investigation was to determine the muscle protein synthesis response of the soleus muscle following a standard high intensity bout of resistance exercise. METHODS: Eight recreationally active males (27 +/- 4 years) completed three unilateral calf muscle exercises: standing calf press/heel raise, bent-knee calf press/heel raise, and seated calf press/heel raise. Each exercise consisted of four sets of 15 repetitions (approximately 15 repetition maximum, RM, or approximately 70% 1RM). Fractional rate of muscle protein synthesis (FSR) was determined with a primed constant infusion of [2H5]phenylalanine coupled with muscle biopsies immediately and 3 h following the exercise in both the exercise and non-exercise (resting control) leg. RESULTS: FSR was elevated (P < 0.05) in the exercise (0.069 +/- 0.010) vs. the control (0.051 +/- 0.012) leg. Muscle glycogen concentration was lower (P < 0.05) in the exercise compared with the control leg (Decrease from control; immediate post-exercise: 54 +/- 5; 3 h post-exercise: 36 +/- 4 mmol kg(-1) wet wt.). This relatively high amount of glycogen use is comparable with previous studies of resistance exercise of the thigh (i.e. vastus lateralis; approximately 41-49 mmol kg(-1) wet wt.). However, the exercise-induced increase in FSR that has been consistently reported for the vastus lateralis (approximately 0.045-0.060% h(-1)) is on average approximately 200% higher than reported here for the soleus (0.019 +/- 0.003% h(-1)). CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest the relatively poor response of soleus muscle protein synthesis to an acute bout of resistance exercise may be the basis for the relative inability of the calf muscles to respond to resistance training programs. Copyright 2004 Scandinavian Physiological Society

PMID: 15450115 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Interesting study! Its obvious that the muscles of the calf are slower to respond to training, but that dosent meant they *wont* respond the the right training. It just takes a more concentrated, consistent effort.

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
I have always had small calves. No matter what i did i couldn't get them to grow. My mom has big calves and my brother does too. I just did a sd cycle training with HST and for the first time i am seeing steady growth. As a matter of fact i had to switch to single leg standing calve raises because my right leg was growing faster than my left. HST is different than anything i have done before but i have to tell you it is really working for me. A 1/2 inch growth on a 2wk sd cycle and i've been done with pct for a week now.

Guido

Awards
I have always had small calves. No matter what i did i couldn't get them to grow. My mom has big calves and my brother does too. I just did a sd cycle training with HST and for the first time i am seeing steady growth. As a matter of fact i had to switch to single leg standing calve raises because my right leg was growing faster than my left. HST is different than anything i have done before but i have to tell you it is really working for me. A 1/2 inch growth on a 2wk sd cycle and i've been done with pct for a week now.
Impressive gains in such a short period! Congrats and keep it up!!

Chunky

Awards
Calves are my best part, in size and strength. I always did the same for any other muscles, heavy weight, once a week, low volume. Recently I start doing P/RR/S method and it is working good for my calve. Things are different every week. I hit them with low reps a week, hypertrophy the next one and then mostly endurance the last week. They are growing at good rate, now near 19 inches.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ah ben mon Chunky, tu vas-tu te rendre a 25 pouces de mollets? T'etais-tu un gros-gras avant?

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's true... Bulk up to 400 pounds plus, and sloth your way through life for a few years... Definately my best body part. Cutting is a beotch at that point though.. lol

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm beginning to think that canadians have a thing about calves : 3 of us in an 19-post thread...

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
i've tried every damn program under the sun and i think they grew 0.00001mm last year. drop sets, high reps, low reps, heavy, light, DC 15 second pause, 5 second negatives, TUT, once a week, twice a week, and currently three times a week, etc. i even injected IGF directly into them for a stint to see if there was any localized benefit, nada. when you find the answer, do share.
Implants.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
implant my boot in your ass.
Boot in my ass aye sir. If you don't like that idea, just wear pants. No one will know the difference.

Just make sure they're baggy. None of those tight ass wranglers you wear to the gay bars either.

Chunky

Awards
Ah ben mon Chunky, tu vas-tu te rendre a 25 pouces de mollets? T'etais-tu un gros-gras avant?
Pour que tu me réponds comme ça, on doit se connaitre j'imagine... ?

Avant (14-15 ans), j'étais Ã* 6 pieds 1-2-3, Ã* 200 lbs Ã* environ 17-20% de gras. C'est pas un gros gras, mais je lavais tout autour de la taille, donc oui on peut dire assez balaise. 25 pouces je sais pas, mais je compte bien me rendre au moins Ã* 20.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nah, Chunky we don't know one another. I'm in Montreal. It's just a thing : Heavy people have bigger calves. And let's switch back to English.

rippedtothebone

Awards
I wish i could stop mine from growing, Damn genetics. However, my biceps won't grow no matter what i try.

Mrs. Gimpy

Mrs. Gimpy

Awards
my calves are the only things on me that i dont really like....they are alittle large i think....i will post a pic of them if i can find one.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
In my opinion inorder to grow big calves they can NOT be hammered. You have to let them almost grow on their own and NOT kill them with work.

All that will do is make them stay the same size or possible even lose size. I know genetics have alot to do with it but I think indirect work is best.

Take my calves. I noticed about 2 years ago they were were on the small side compared to other peoples calves.

So I made a determined effor to give them a liitle more attention and work but NOT overwork them.

I fed them extra grain and they both weigh over 300lbs now. I will be butchering them in about a year.

CROWLER

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
In my opinion inorder to grow big calves they can NOT be hammered. You have to let them almost grow on their own and NOT kill them with work.

All that will do is make them stay the same size or possible even lose size. I know genetics have alot to do with it but I think indirect work is best.

Take my calves. I noticed about 2 years ago they were were on the small side compared to other peoples calves.

So I made a determined effor to give them a liitle more attention and work but NOT overwork them.

I fed them extra grain and they both weigh over 300lbs now. I will be butchering them in about a year.

CROWLER
i was following ya until the last paragraph. :lol:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
My arms grow pretty well but its going to be a challenge getting them over a *lean* 18". My calves grow best when I whip them like the little bitches they are.:)

BV

UberPooper1

Awards
  • Established

CROWLER
hahahaha...so witty you are

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
One thing Ive noticed is that, if you're used to doing calf raises on the calf press machine - try switching to free weights in the squat rack. BIG difference. I can do 15+ good reps with the whole stack and couple 45's on the machine at my gym - I just tried doing them with free weights on a step the other day and I only did 3 sets with only 185lbs. I could feel it the next day...

BV

Neu

Awards
I dont do a damn thing for mine and they are at 20" right now thank god my thighs are around 28 1/2" or I would look stupid

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Whats your BF%? Calves are definitely genetic - the guy who works in the cube next to me dosent even lift and has a huge set of ~18" calves. I work mine religiously and Im barely over 17".

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes Bv ive noticed doing "squat calve Raises" is much harder on a block than the calve machine.

I use the "squat calve raises" (weight across back and then do calve raises on a BLOCK)

i do the leg press machine toe raises

when i do cardio i run on my tiptoes...they produces a BURN IN THE CALVE SO BAD that i cannot walk currently and i did them two days ago.

also the seated calve raise, which dont work the top but ui do them regardless..

i want my gym to get a Donkey Calce raise machine, the one Ronnie Coleman has in in house in"The cost of redemption'"

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
my calves gained 1 and 1/2 inches in the 8 weeks i pulled my sled for distance, over a mile @ a time.

my legs felt like steel, soon they will again too.(the heat)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
i want my gym to get a Donkey Calce raise machine, the one Ronnie Coleman has in in house in"The cost of redemption'"
You can do donkey raises in the smith machine. Put a high-back bench infront of you so you have something to grab onto, and use a pad for your back.

BV

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
i voted high frequency high volume,

how many Very big guys 280+ (fat or not) do you see with tiny calves.

I am going to start wearing a weighted vest.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's a great idea. Find an old "bulletproof" vest, and buy scuba-diving belt, put steel or lead in the pockets, in no time you're a 100lbs more. Go for a LONG walk, your cardio is done an MAYBE the calves grow.

The sled thing seems awesome. People in my neighborhood would sure look at me like I'm an E.T. :D

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Okay guys. I have huge genetic calves, but I think part of the reason they're so big is because I walk a lot and generally I am around 270-310lbs. I've never seen a fat person (or a heavy person) who walks a decent amount who doesn't have GIGANTIC calves... So my suggestion to you guys who want to get your calves growing (and get some good cardio in at the same time) is to buy a 100lb weight vest and walk for an hour 3x a week :D Strength shoes work decently well too.

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
...And im sure Exnihilio will pick up the medical bills from the chiropractor.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
...And im sure Exnihilio will pick up the medical bills from the chiropractor.
Come on, 100lbs is nothing. It's not all on your shoulders or anything either, it's distributed evenly on the vest so that it balances itself out. Give it a shot man, or at least pick up a pair of strength shoes, those work really well too. Some of the biggest calves and forearms I've ever seen have been on people that don't even lift weights - fat people who walk a lot have huge calves, and I've met a couple master smiths with what appear to be 16" forearms.

mtruther

mtruther

Awards
I love what some people call the Roman Chair. Like the standing ones alright. Never like the seated calf raises. Regardless of the the exercise, I've found it extremely useful to go really slow in the reps, especially a slow descent. All the way up....hold..........hold.......dooooooooowwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn. Feel the burn! And I know that burn isn't always what you're going for, but doing this made my calfs grow like nothing else had. Sets of 10 or so or until your calfs burn off! :)

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Come on, 100lbs is nothing. It's not all on your shoulders or anything either, it's distributed evenly on the vest so that it balances itself out. Give it a shot man, or at least pick up a pair of strength shoes, those work really well too. Some of the biggest calves and forearms I've ever seen have been on people that don't even lift weights - fat people who walk a lot have huge calves, and I've met a couple master smiths with what appear to be 16" forearms.
sorry, I've been dieting for a while and was in a really shitty mood. I still think adding 100lbs in one shot would take a toll on your joints.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Some of the biggest calves and forearms I've ever seen have been on people that don't even lift weights - fat people who walk a lot have huge calves, and I've met a couple master smiths with what appear to be 16" forearms.
That's true - but Ive known some fat people who lose a stack of weight and their calves arent any bigger than anyone elses. Ive also known skinny ecto mechanics that work their forearms all day long with wrenches, tools, etc. and, while most of the time their forearm muscles are developed -they're not overly huge.

I think genetics has a lot to do with it. But that's not to say you can't build impressive calves even if you got the genetic shaft in that department. They just take more work to develop size than other muscle groups.

BV