Super-high-reps (20 to 30) are good for what?

Do you find super high reps (20 to 30) useful?

• They're no good, they will make you weak and small

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • They're good for cutting when on low calories

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • They're helpful for increasing blood flow, warming up, etc.

Votes: 91 45.7%
  • They're useful in some other way

Votes: 57 28.6%

• Total voters

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was experimenting with reps, doing :

2 weeks 3-5
2 weeks 4-6
2 weeks 6-8
2 weeks 8-10
2 weeks 10-12
2 weeks 12-15
2 weeks 15-20
2 weeks 20-25
2 weeks 25-30

The idea was to pyramid back down again, but I simply switched back to 6-8 after doing the 25-30 and I suddenly seem bigger although not as strong as before upping the reps. Did you use them and find a use for them?

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Without going into the science, my thoughts are that they can be a good *shock* every once in a while. I only do them for legs....and with that being said, maybe only once every couple months. I will put one plate on each side of the leg press and bang out as many reps as I can.....until legs start shaking and I am soaked in sweat.

Gumbo

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i use em for warming up. on my work sets, the highest i've gone is 15.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I love doing the high reppers for legs. Of course I do them only after I've done a heavier set of 6 to 8.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I suppose they're OK to do as a shock maybe 3-4 times a year. From a performace/strength viewpoint, in the long run if done too often they will decrease overall strength.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
In my opinion, it's good for the first warmup set with the bar weight only usually, depending on exercise, and will help set up your form for work sets and warm up the muscle.

It is also useful, again with minimal weight, to obtain a pump for extreme stretching.

As your main style of training though? Maybe high rep squats could help a sprinter or other agility and speed athletes who are not necessarily looking for raw power or size. Rock climbers and mountain bikers also come to mind.

And IMHO opinion, cutting weight schemes should not be done by increasing reps, but by either decresing rest time or putting in time on the treadmill. I just find low reps personally better for me.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've gone as high as 100 reps. I do it in extra workouts to help me recover. I also have done extra workouts with 20-25 reps to bring up lagging body parts.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have another comment on the results of my above-stated ramp in reps : most of my body is WEAKER except my legs, which gave me a tremendous workout today. So yeah, they might be good for legs for me. Although having shitty knees, it somehow causes much less cartilage wear to go heavy and low reps than the 25-rep thing. I'm a little surprised, to say the least.

SilentScream27

Awards
I suppose they're OK to do as a shock maybe 3-4 times a year. From a performace/strength viewpoint, in the long run if done too often they will decrease overall strength.
*agree*

great for shock cycles of hypertrophy, any more than 2-3 workouts is just athletic conditioning (i.e. not useful for bbing).

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
What are they good for?

Absolutely nothing HUNH

Say it again

What are they good for?

Absolutely nothing

What song is that?

BTW j/k

CROWLER

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
WAR....what is it good for....absolutely nothing..

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I guess no one has experienced high reps squats (20+) after a heavy set of 8. Missing out if you haven't.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I guess no one has experienced high reps squats (20+) after a heavy set of 8. Missing out if you haven't.
yeah, i experimented with those for a few months. all it did for me was allow me to hallucinate during the set after rep 15.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i experimented with those for a few months. all it did for me was allow me to hallucinate during the set after rep 15.
That's the best part, that and the 10 minutes of nausea you feel after 30 reps. It's makes squatting more enjoyable to me.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
other than making me feel like ass, it didn't do anything for me. i lost strength on the heavy sets after about 2 months into it. felt like overtraining.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
other than making me feel like ass, it didn't do anything for me. i lost strength on the heavy sets after about 2 months into it. felt like overtraining.
Truthfully I switch it up when it comes to training. For example I alternate between squats, leg presses and hacks. So I only squat once every two weeks.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Truthfully I switch it up when it comes to training. For example I alternate between squats, leg presses and hacks. So I only squat once every two weeks.
i think that's what i'm gonna have to do eventually. the squats/deadlifts are on opposite days,mon/fri. problem is i'm going heavier than ever now and my lower back doesn't fully recover before i'm hitting one of the two a few days later. may have to alternate them from week to week.

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
Legs, Legs and Legs!! I personally do not like squatting with 500+ lbs in my workouts anymore, and honestly feel I attain more growth from higher reps on the leg press than lower reps. The lowest I go on squats is 8 reps, but mind you, that is with 455 lbs. 315 for 30+ reps towards the ends absolutely fries my legs up.

A good mix is always the best IMHO, but I still will not go back to anything below 8 reps on legs. The risk/reward ratio is just too out of whack...

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Legs, Legs and Legs!! I personally do not like squatting with 500+ lbs in my workouts anymore, and honestly feel I attain more growth from higher reps on the leg press than lower reps. The lowest I go on squats is 8 reps, but mind you, that is with 455 lbs. 315 for 30+ reps towards the ends absolutely fries my legs up.

A good mix is always the best IMHO, but I still will not go back to anything below 8 reps on legs. The risk/reward ratio is just too out of whack...
I agree 100%. I don't see why I should risk injury for higher numbers. To me, weightlifting is a lifetime endeavor. I don't plan on stopping at 40 years old due to injury.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
20 rep squats I love.

Aw jeez....I just sounded like Yoda.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Nate and Max thank you VERY much!

I can't remember who it was but just recently in another thread a member said Hey if you wont do squats then you will NEVER have big legs BWAHAHAHA

BTW where the HELL where you guys in that thread :) j/k

CROWLER

Big Jay

Awards
Well what do you do for upper body. Looking good Max32 what are your upper body measurements and bf%.

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
i agree with max...legs i always train with good form and higher reps even if it means lighter weights.

i used to lift heavy but all i ever did was gain strength...my quads and especially calves NEVER grew...now i do sets of mostly between 18 and 30 for quads and calves and 15-20 for hams...i've seen much better growth ever since not to mention density :whip:

regards,
COTC

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
The hardest set I have EVER done is doing a set of front squats for 8-10 reps followed by a 25-30 rep set of back squats...without a doubt the biggest test of guile I've ever experienced

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
good for those who enjoy a little PAIN! Lactic acid is your friend... ;)

RipdnTxs2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like doing a high rep set as my last set on all bodyparts, the more blood in the muscle the better, but I would not use the exclusively for bodybuilding purposes....

Brennon

Awards
good for those who enjoy a little PAIN! Lactic acid is your friend... ;)
Since this is an exercise science forum, I think it might be fitting to note that 'lactic acid' is an acid salt that does not induce metabolic acidosis...lactate actually acts as a buffer AGAINST that accumulation of protons that causes the burning feeling. That feeling is caused by hydrolysis of ATP during glycolysis which releases a proton. During the formation of lactate, a proton is consumed causing lactate to have an alkalanizing effect on the cell.

Just one of those old myths that still floats around. :)

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
High rep counts push your lactic acid threshhold farther up the ladder...
benefits of such include being able to run short distances with much better endurance and working interval running training for longer periods before you feel 'pooped' and cant see straight.
also it improves your VO2max a bit as well...

Lactic acid threshold is basically the dividing line between aerobic and anaerobic exercise... short distance running still has a goodly amount of anaerobic efford involved.

High-rep squats, front squats, leg presses, and even deadlifts help out your short distance running (like 1mile to 1.5 mile area). They allow you to sustain higher speeds (pace) for longer amounts of time.

Of course thats if you're into running :)

magic8ball

Awards
I remember reading articles on pros "cycling 100's" in the early 90's. I tried it a few times on leg extensions. I had to avoid stairs for a few days, it was great.

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
in Rea's BTPB there is quite a bit of info about lactic acid and how important it is for gains and how it increases progestins, there is also some theories that the pump actually stretches cell fibers allowing for more growth, although i'm not sure i subscribe to that

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Super high-reps can be anabolic sometimes I think. Usually I'll do dumbell shrugs with 115's or 120's for 8-10 reps, but lately ive been using ligther weight, alot of reps, and doing drop-sets. It looks my traps have gotten a little bigger since doing this.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
I was always under the impression that they wer good for cutting. All the trainers at my old gym suggested I do higher reps(20-40 range). I did for awhile but didn't really do anything for me. I've had way better success with max-ot training style.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Quads and Hams i find respond well to superhigh reps other than that i keep everything from 4-12 reps.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
They are useful with low weight/resistance for restoration purposes, i.e. to increase blood flow to the muscle group the day after a workout.

CPT_NYC

Awards
I am currently doing a workout where i work between 20 reps and 6 reps, alternating each, 3x per week full body workout. So far I have had great success in strength while maintaining a lean 9-10%bf for a few months now. I also have some of my clients on this regiment and they are seeing great success as well. Minimal rest is used between sets, except for the 6 reppers which can be taxing on the joints and the nervous system.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I like the idea of finishing heavier low rep sets with drop sets until failure. I don't know if it actually works but I like to believe it helps recruit the various muscle fiber types i.e. type I, II,b,c.

I am going to incorporate this into my routine for an upcoming cycle.

fedaykin

Board Supporter
Awards
they're usefull for short-term endurance athletes and once every once in a while for some added hypertrophy for other forms of athletes... I do 20 reps squats every fourth week or so, after deadlifts.

HARDtotheCORE

Awards
After being a competitive powerlifter for a long time, and sticking with high weight/low reps for my squats, I decided to give a higher rep routine for squats a shot. I FUCKING HATED IT. Not only did i puke every workout, but the sheer exhaustion and nausea destroyed my workouts entirely. My legs lost thickness, and definately got weaker. I've been back into my lower (12 or less) rep schemes, and my legs have exploded once again and gotten thicker than ever. I see high reps having no place other than drop sets or shock sets

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
We did high rep sets my freshman year of HS for football before summer camp. Sets of 20,18,16,-> 10, and then a max set. We did it for one month and then went back to 12, 10, 8, max sets. It gave good strength gains and did worlds for endurance. However, I had hardly worked out prior to that, so anything would have given me strength gains and looking back, they didn't know **** about nutrition and not too much about weight training in general. I remember asking my coaches what I could do to bulk up, should I buy protein or weight gainer or should I use creatine, they said 'NO' just work out. Thanks for helping me out guys. :burger:

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
There was abber in the 80's, King or something I think, that used 20-30 reps fro everything. My friend and I tried it for about a month a we lost strength. High reps are a good once in a while but all they time? No

supaman

Awards
I once did a workout pushed by John Long, The Workout From Hell

It kicks your ass. After a couple of weeks of half assing this routine my endurance/recovery was substantially better (rock climbing).

If you're still working the majority of the time on what you're looking for, e.g. power or hypertrophy, I'd say anything as hard as high rep work couldnt possibly hinder you--with proper recovery. At the least it makes going in and doing low reps seem that much easier/better/more fun.

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do high reps depending on the season. If you want to know why, just look at my sig.

Synthetik

Awards
My lagging body part are my entire legs. I used to do the 10, 8, 6, 6 pyramid with increasing weight. The past 5 weeks, I changed my routine to higher reps, no less than 10 reps per set, with a drop set at the end. My legs grew about 1/2 an in., and the best part of all, my fiance told me! LOL! As for me, higher reps, well, from the 10 - 15 range, works best. I do heavy reps on every 4th week. Seems to be working.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lobliner2.htm

this high rep leg workout absolutely destroyed me. marc from scivation posted it on bb.com and im not sure if he posted it here. he swears that high reps are best for leg growth but it likely varies person to person. nontheless, great leg workout... was sore for 4-5 days afterwards. this was definitely a curve ball from my normal routine and i liked it. just thought id share.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My current Trainer (John Pinder), a powerlifter puts all his new clients on 6 weeks of 20 rep below ATG squats....

He doesn't explain why.. but Endurance imrpoved vastly each week. And strength too.. I added 20 pound a week until now (added only 10 this week for a total of 275.). And each and every week I thought I might die.

But if your going to try them, You really need to tone down the rest of your leg day, if you don't your likely to over train.

I just do 1 set of 20 rep squats, that make you question the existance of God.

Followed by some ham work. Hyper extensions, 2 x 20. (ghr's if you can do them.. or some reverse hypers aer good too.)

Followed by some abductors, and adductors for 25 reps a piece.

Some abs, some calves..

And that's it.

ICEBERG

Awards
Great for shocking the muscles. Fast twitch vs Slow twitch. My legs love 15-20 reps-IMO more blood flow equates to bigger muscles. I do the 20-30 rep workout once a month.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I like to warm up with 20 reps - get the blood flowing.

I sometimes end with a 20 rep pump. On arm day, I'll sometimes do 100 reps. I can't tell you if it improves my muscle growth, but I can tell you that I feel better walking out of the gym after doing that. It's not just a "showy pump" for me, but I also believe that the extra bloodflow is good for something...something...LoL

I don't know where I get the strangest looks from:
1. heavy deadlifts and squats
OR
2. lifting 5-10lbs dumbells for 100 reps, LoL. (Too bad we don't have those pink plastic ones, LoL)

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
I generally keep my reps high. 10-15 which usually ends up being 12-15 as I rarely ever stop below 12, and is typically pushed out over 4-5 sets. This is also with heavy weight. Heh, color me crazy but it works very well for me. I don't really believe in overtraining, just undereating. lol Like no one's ever heard that before? Different folks, different strokes. Experiment with different routines while you're getting off the ground. Find out what works best for you. If you find that incorporating a week of heavy reps every three months or so improves your overall performance, by all means stick to it. If you find that sticking to heavy reps year round works for you, knock it out. It's good to ask these questions, but everyone's different. What's good advice for you may not be good advice for Joe Bob. lol I'm startin' to rant. I'll cut it short. Good luck man. Whatever ya do, attack it like you wanna kill it.