What Are the Best Ways to Warm-Up?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
I used to be so naive to think that warm-ups were a waste of time. Indeed, if I jogged around, etc. then I saw that my strength would go down slightly.

Now, I realize that warm-ups should be a part. Yet, I do not want to spend more than 10 or 15 minutes, as a 30+ minute warm-up would be useless.

1. Any specific routines?

2. How long will this take?

Slapoyjoe

I'm 47. I need to warm up or I'll tear something.

Stretching well does it for me.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do 8-10 minutes on the elliptical and stretch for 3-5 minutes. Gets some blood moving and mostly gets me mentally prepared.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually warm up with benching 315x10
2 sets of those then I’m ready to start lifting

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
[video=youtube;FSSDLDhbacc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc[/video]

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This is a pretty open question. It can be a lot different depending on what you train, how you train, etc.

At the very least get moving to get some blood flow and do some specific warm ups of the exercise you plan to do (slowly building weight on the actual first movement of the day).

Outside of that depends on your training.

What do you usually do for workouts?

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any routine on here will warm you up

[video=youtube;bUnTaQuY1P0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUnTaQuY1P0[/video]

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm 47. I need to warm up or I'll tear something.

Stretching well does it for me.
I've always stretched until a few wears ago. Maybe now just a quick stretch for a few secconds on a rare occasion. I feel like stretching increases my risk of injury because sense I stopped I no longer get hurt. I imagine taking something and stretching it out, the longer you stretch the thinner and weaker whatever being stretched gets. Just my theory tho. Now I just do 10min on the stairs or elliptical or rotator cuff stuff before pressing

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was actually taught that you shouldn’t stretch before lifting, only after. Too loose and you could tear something.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was actually taught that you shouldn’t stretch before lifting, only after. Too loose and you could tear something.
I believe the latest is that static stretching can make you weaker and increase risk of injury but dynamic stretching can prevent injury......

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I prefer just starting with light weights/empty bar and getting some reps in, adding weight until I'm at my first working set. I focus on getting blood flowing into the muscles and using a full range of motion to get the muscles stretched and ready. Squat day example from yesterday:

Bar x 10
135 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 3
235 x 3
255 first working set

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whatever activates the muscle(s) you’re training that day.

Personally, doesn’t matter what I train, my PC from glutes to rhomboids get warmed up and my core (stability purposes). However, i NEVER stretch.

Cat/camel don’t extend end ROM
Side planks 3x 20-30s holds
Hip abductor 2x15
Back ext 2x 15 don’t extend end rom
Band pull through
Posterior Oblique sling warm up
Resisted dead bugs

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I just work up my main lift(s) in 20 or 10kg (45 and 25lbs equivalent) increments until my working weight, staying well away from a taxing number of reps. Maybe 60kg x 10 for the first set, then a few sets of 5's, then triples, doubles, singles, finally one single at my work weight then a five to ten minute rest before my first real set.