Bending back while benching

Davy25

Davy25

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

Whats your thoughts on bending you back? I see so many powerlifters with absolutely terrible form in my eyes. And i tend to bend it when im doing heavier weight than i should.

Today i bent it pretty good and it was tight as hell/ hurt right after benching. But really it was like a “pump/ tightness” type of hurting. Not like a tweaked muscle or anything like that. It almost feels like i worked my lower back. How bad do you think this is or could it potentially be beneficial.... has to be a reason those big fat powerlifter guys do it.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Because you should arch your back as long as your butt stays in contact with the bench. Keeps your spine locked and in the proper position for support. If your hurting your low back though you’re doing it wrong. It should be arched before unracking the bar and remain in the same arched position throughout the lift.

Ase_james

Awards
I agree with above. Just not an unnatural big arch, that could pop your l4, l5 out pretty easily.
I do think at the end of a set that was in good posture, if you have to cheat a couple up it's worth it in gains. If that's what it takes to get to failure, then I do it.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The idea behind arching is to allow full scapular retraction and better utilisation of back muscles during the transition (where ditection of force changes from down to up) of the movement.

Powerlifters must pause for as long as 3seconds at the bottom of the movement, and doing this with a flat back is, for most people, unhealthy for the shoulders.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The idea behind arching is to allow full scapular retraction and better utilisation of back muscles during the transition (where ditection of force changes from down to up) of the movement.

Powerlifters must pause for as long as 3seconds at the bottom of the movement, and doing this with a flat back is, for most people, unhealthy for the shoulders.
This

But let’s not forget that there is also the benefit of shortening the distance the bar travels - in competition that equals bigger weights. If you aren’t a competitive powerlifter then it’s unlikely you will benefit from the excessive arch you see them using.

For bodybuilders an excessive arch is a negative through the reduction in ROM (imo the increased weight does not compensate for that)

stock28

Awards
  • Established
The reduced range of motion is very small and has very little if any negative effects for bodybuilding. In powerlifting every inch can make the difference between a failed or completed lift. Proper form is much more important than worrying about loosing an inch range of motion. Having a loose spine is much more likely to injure a shoulder or back.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your arch is in your lumbar you’re doing it wrong. It should be in your thoracic with a slight to small arch leading to the lumbar.

Also, with your chest “high” you put your pecs into full stretchy at the bottom with an arch.