For you that have a 400+ bench

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What’s your overhead press number?

I’m stuck at 360 and I think my shoulders are my weakest link to my goal of a 400 bench. I haven’t gone too heavy on my shoulders before but been focusing lately on get my numbers up, especially in the overhead press, is it any other lifts you guys have noticed helped your bench?

Thanks for any input, it’s frustrating to be stuck!

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
What’s your overhead press number?

I’m stuck at 360 and I think my shoulders are my weakest link to my goal of a 400 bench. I haven’t gone too heavy on my shoulders before but been focusing lately on get my numbers up, especially in the overhead press, is it any other lifts you guys have noticed helped your bench?

Thanks for any input, it’s frustrating to be stuck!
People would need a lot more information to intelligently answer how and why you’re stuck

Including:
How often you train
What intensities and percentages of max you train at
How often you fail lifts
Technique videos
Etc

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
People would need a lot more information to intelligently answer how and why you’re stuck

Including:
How often you train
What intensities and percentages of max you train at
How often you fail lifts
Technique videos
Etc
My question was, what’s your overhead press?

I bench 2x times, sometimes 3, a week, my technique could be better, I think, since my floor press is close to my bench press, that’s also the reason I think my shoulders are my weakest link. I bench a lot in the power rack so I can go to failure or overload on weight.

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
My question was, what’s your overhead press?

I bench 2x times, sometimes 3, a week, my technique could be better, I think, since my floor press is close to my bench press, that’s also the reason I think my shoulders are my weakest link. I bench a lot in the power rack so I can go to failure or overload on weight.
I am just stating you may be looking at the wrong things
Last shoulder press workout was 95lbs for 4x15
My bench is over 405 on a bad day

Attached is 501

IMG_9045.jpg

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
Nice! So what’s your strongest upper body lift besides bench?
I think you are chasing a trap if you think by necessarily increasing another upper body lift it will just make your bench go up...
I didn’t do a single shoulder press when training for my 500 bench

You should focus on fatigue management and recovery from one bench workout to the next, while growing muscle in your weaker areas with very sub-maximal loads (which won’t add as much fatigue)

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have found bench bloks or board presses, floor press, and weighted dips to be real plateau busters for me. OHP is nice but I actually find it difficult to program in at times.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think you are chasing a trap if you think by necessarily increasing another upper body lift it will just make your bench go up...
I didn’t do a single shoulder press when training for my 500 bench

You should focus on fatigue management and recovery from one bench workout to the next, while growing muscle in your weaker areas with very sub-maximal loads (which won’t add as much fatigue)
That’s a good tip, I think I’m chasing high weights too much, I’ll do more fatigue training and see how that works, thanks!

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
That’s a good tip, I think I’m chasing high weights too much, I’ll do more fatigue training and see how that works, thanks!
Strength training is math, hate to say it

And just going to the gym and crushing it is only going to get you so far

Curious, what is your current bench max for a clean single rep ... clean, no bouncing

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Strength training is math, hate to say it

And just going to the gym and crushing it is only going to get you so far

Curious, what is your current bench max for a clean single rep ... clean, no bouncing
I’m not sure, 360 with some bounce and a lot of will.

I go to the gym and try to crush it way too often...

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
I would say 350, 375 with some bounce and a lot of will.
What if I told you, if you dedicated 5 weeks listening to a simple structure you’d bench 360 with ease maybe even 375 with no bounce

It’s all about structure

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What if I told you, if you dedicated 5 weeks listening to a simple structure you’d bench 360 with ease maybe even 375 with no bounce

It’s all about structure
I miss calculated, I edited my last post, but yeah that would be great, what do you recommend?

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
I miss calculated, I edited my last post, but yeah that would be great, what do you recommend?
Few things if I help
1) make a thread
2) post videos of the main lifts I need
3) don’t do extra workouts or extra sets and reps

Agreed ?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Few things if I help
1) make a thread
2) post videos of the main lifts I need
3) don’t do extra workouts or extra sets and reps

Agreed ?
Sure, number 3 might be hard for me though... I do a lot of cardio and fight training as well, it’s not uncommon for me to workout everyday of the week... but I can sacrifice (some) of that so I can hit a 400 bench

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
Sure, number 3 might be hard for me though... I do a lot of cardio and fight training as well, it’s not uncommon for me to workout everyday of the week... but I can sacrifice (some) of that so I can hit a 400 bench
Just keep other weight training sessions to none
And make sure you are replenishing carbs and sodium after MMA

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
=(

Ok, so how are we doing this?
Start a thread
Post a clear bench video for me to mark your starting point, I want to see what at least 330-350 looks like
Go for a clean single rep, no bouncing the heaviest you can go without failure

This will let me see your technique and strengths

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m curious to see how this goes. I bench press pretty well, but I’m always looking for more.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed for bench smashing PR’s. Link to new thread OP?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok, give me a few days to get this starting, need to get this ****ing 400!

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
nickodemus

nickodemus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This really had me interested. I wanted to see you coaching him to his 400lbs. Hope he follows through.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If the thread is created, tag me please. Would love to see how it goes and lend support however I can (mostly rah rah).