What Cardio Does Not Wear Down My Muscle? Real-World Stair-Climbing?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I have only gotten modest results over the years in fitness.

When I trim down, I tend to lose my strength and muscle, along with my fat. I have done plenty of running, treadmill, exercise bike, etc. Yet, it only seems to make hip-flexors and hamstrings tighter, without really trimming down.

What types of cardio can get a person more fit, without losing muscle? Any research to support such conclusions?

My guess is real-world stairclimbing (not stairmaster), wind-sprints, etc. is the best.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you are relying on cardio to trim down, you run a higher risk of losing muscle (for a number of reasons) than if you diet harder and do less cardio. It really doesn't matter what you are doing to get that cardio, this will apply.

Your diet should have a sufficient caloric deficit and sufficient protein. While dieting this way, you will lose strength but not muscle - the strength loss is mostly from carb depletion. People tend to freak if their numbers drop and think they are getting small and losing muscle but it just isn't the case. After a week or two on the diet you will stop losing and start gaining again.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Tabata seems catchy. But, it cannot be that 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest * 8 times is the most efficient, or only way to train.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Tabata seems catchy. But, it cannot be that 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest * 8 times is the most efficient, or only way to train.
That 20 seconds needs to be an all-out effort. To be honest, doing 20 seconds of activity with 40 seconds of rest is brutal and almost impossible to do 8 times. Good luck doing 20/10.

With either of those timings you will find yourself stull breathing heavy with an elevated heart rate 5 hours after you are done.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That 20 seconds needs to be an all-out effort. To be honest, doing 20 seconds of activity with 40 seconds of rest is brutal and almost impossible to do 8 times. Good luck doing 20/10.

With either of those timings you will find yourself stull breathing heavy with an elevated heart rate 5 hours after you are done.
This ^^^, very few people have the mental fortitude to do Tabata at the effort required

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
What would be good for Tabata Exercises?

I am guessing bodyweight exercises such as burpees, burpee with pushups, lunge jumps, etc. are the best, since they work range of motion, core strength, large muscle group resistance training and cardiovascular endurance together.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sprints or even a stationary bike can be good. Treadmill could be a little dangerous. Just find a track and sprint 100% all out for 20 seconds. Then come back and tell us how you feel :)

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Tabata on an assault bike/airdyne (or any hard workout on one of those) ☠☠☠

If eating properly and training properly you shouldn’t see major declines in muscle during weight loss.

The type is going to depend on how it fits into your overall plan. Lower intensity work will be less demanding on recovery but generally takes more time, while higher intensity work will tax recovery more but be shorter.

I prefer a bit of both, but I’m usually doing training for various intensities each week and never really have major issues with muscle loss.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Like the others said, sprints is what you’re looking for, just look at the Olympic sprinters for example, they look very muscular.

You can do sprints on what ever gym equipment you prefer, when I feel fresh I do 20/10 on a incline treadmill or I do 2000m under 8 min on the rowing machine.

When I don’t feel fresh I might do 20/40 sprints or the elliptical. I try do do cardio after every workout.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
HIIT CARDIO
Treadmill
20-30 seconds at your highest safe speed,and do this for 5-10 times. Rest between each run at 1-2min.

Outside Sprinting is the best at building muscle,strength, and increasing testosterone levels. Sprint for 30-45min at 15-50 yards run. Rest 2-3min between each sprint.

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
HIIT CARDIO
Treadmill
20-30 seconds at your highest safe speed,and do this for 5-10 times. Rest between each run at 1-2min.

Outside Sprinting is the best at building muscle,strength, and increasing testosterone levels. Sprint for 30-45min at 15-50 yards run. Rest 2-3min between each sprint.
Preach on big dog!!

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I jump rope, agility movements, jumping jacks in HIIT format. I play around with my rest/work time.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Get a heavy bag and hit it for rounds. When I was boxing I was always lean and my shoulders and arms always stayed big and full looking. I thank the heavy bag

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Get a heavy bag and hit it for rounds. When I was boxing I was always lean and my shoulders and arms always stayed big and full looking. I thank the heavy bag
Although heavy bag work is good, you need to keep a high pace for a long time to get the cardio benefit from it, not easy if you’re a beginner. Running long distance is way better for fat loss , it’s almost impossible to mess that up, boxing on the other hand is very easy to mess up. “Most people don’t know **** about boxing”