Working legs overrated? For some people they could be correct?

Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

1. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Just trying to get a little bit better every single day!

I agree with you about imbalances causing injury - there’s no disputing that. I’m just saying that squats don’t even build my quads hardly, compared to things like legpress.
    When I started out squats built mine very well. I used to do close stance Lee Haney squats and I definitely feel that helped my teardrop, this was back when i was 21 . Now that im older at 37 I stopped squatting. I had a left knee injury last year, it clicks, and its not as smooth as the left kneecap so i have to watch it. Ive never had any issues with putting muscle on my quads though from the start. Squats worked at the beginning years, just not anymores.

Bodybuilding is totally different than powerlifting. Bodybuilding is finding exercises for your body, as every body is different, has different limbs, mechanical advantages and disadvantages. Powerlifting is moving the weight point A and B. . You probably know from powerlifting guys with long arms generally are not as good as bench pressing as guys with short arms, and are good at deadlifting. If injuries creep up youve got to eliminate certain exercises and find ones that works for you, while still progressing.

As a older competitive bodybuilder, if you will, as I started in bodybuilding competitions in 2009, and switched over to competing in classic physique in 2016, its all about finding the exercises that work for your body, no matter how silly they may look, or look unconventional , or have people stare, as long as your getting results that's what matters.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www.millenniumsport.net
    AMDEC50

2. Well said. I feel it's more difficult to maintain leg strength in my 30's than 20's. Back then I would often take extended breaks and come back after 6 weeks without losing any strength. Seems these days after 3 weeks off I lose 30-50lbs in a hurry. I do recall a study suggesting leg strength is the first to decline as we age. All the more reason to prioritize leg training. If anything upper body is overrated.
    •   

3. I Love the sensation feeling that I receive during and after leg workout. I get stronger throughout the day,and sometimes I feel going back to the gym,and work other muscle groups!
  4. Working legs overrated? For some people they could be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Not sure why youíre asking about the quality of my legs, as the point Iím trying to make is the barbell squat is not inherently quad work - it can be a massive hamstring builder. I donít need big quads; I need bigger numbers and enough muscular balance to avoid injury. You saying a baseball player got injured because he didnít do lying leg curls and only squat is quite a stretch.

I donít have any shots of me in a speedo, but in this pic of me deadlifting 628lbs can see my legs are at least proportional to the rest of me:

Attachment 171479
    @Hyde You had more in you too, but instead you let us tie. You know I have to remind you of that every chance I get .
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

5. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    Well said. I feel it's more difficult to maintain leg strength in my 30's than 20's. Back then I would often take extended breaks and come back after 6 weeks without losing any strength. Seems these days after 3 weeks off I lose 30-50lbs in a hurry. I do recall a study suggesting leg strength is the first to decline as we age. All the more reason to prioritize leg training. If anything upper body is overrated.
    I don’t care what age you are, if you take 3 weeks off and only lose 30-50lbs off of a leg specific lift, then you are doing pretty good. Why do you take these long breaks?
    •   

6. My legs suck and I have to work them twice a week to see good results and my calves donít respond to anything. I do mean that. Iíve tried every ****ing thing imaginable. I have high calf insertions. I have runners legs. Definitely built for running it seems. Anyway with that being said I feel like if I didnít work legs I just wouldnít be happy. Legs are challenging and putting that work in is a good feeling.

7. Quote Originally Posted by BlockBuilder View Post
    My legs suck and I have to work them twice a week to see good results and my calves don’t respond to anything. I do mean that. I’ve tried every ****ing thing imaginable. I have high calf insertions. I have runners legs. Definitely built for running it seems. Anyway with that being said I feel like if I didn’t work legs I just wouldn’t be happy. Legs are challenging and putting that work in is a good feeling.
    I avoided doing legs forever but since I started I’ve noticed that leg day provides a great sense of well-being.

8. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    @Hyde You had more in you too, but instead you let us tie. You know I have to remind you of that every chance I get .
    Haha race to 300kg?? Weíre probably very even pulling strength atm

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I donít care what age you are, if you take 3 weeks off and only lose 30-50lbs off of a leg specific lift, then you are doing pretty good. Why do you take these long breaks?
    I thought as much - in the 8 years I have trained seriously, the longest I have ever been out of the gym was 8 days - once. Even after minor surgeries I was doing something within a week. Thatís how you stay strong.

My only guess is either serious illness or surgery, otherwise it just wasnít a priority at the time compared to things like career, family, etc. Even serious injury doesnít keep a determined lifter out - he will just do whatever he can.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  9. Working legs overrated? For some people they could be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Haha race to 300kg?? Weíre probably very even pulling strength atm

I thought as much - in the 8 years I have trained seriously, the longest I have ever been out of the gym was 8 days - once. Even after minor surgeries I was doing something within a week. Thatís how you stay strong.

My only guess is either serious illness or surgery, otherwise it just wasnít a priority at the time compared to things like career, family, etc. Even serious injury doesnít keep a determined lifter out - he will just do whatever he can.
    I typed out a bunch of excuses, but then realized they were all just excuses. Yah, fuk it. Im in. With how much more dedicated you are right now you'd have to be the heavy favorite but ive been an underdog before.

Btw, just so I actually comment on the topic of the thread: do legs, dont be a tool. That is all.
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

10. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    I typed out a bunch of excuses, but then realized they were all just excuses. Yah, fuk it. Im in. With how much more dedicated you are right now you'd have to be the heavy favorite but ive been an underdog before.

Btw, just so I actually comment on the topic of the thread: do legs, dont be a tool. That is all.
    My man Itís a marathon!
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

11. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I don’t care what age you are, if you take 3 weeks off and only lose 30-50lbs off of a leg specific lift, then you are doing pretty good. Why do you take these long breaks?
    Not all my hobbies are synergistic. I sometimes travel to and hike remote places in my holidays. A 2 week trek through the NSW rainforest was my latest adventure. Rationed food and 60 miles of bush bashing through a rainforest which made the jungle in Predator look like a golf course turned my legs to tooth picks.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Not sure why youíre asking about the quality of my legs, as the point Iím trying to make is the barbell squat is not inherently quad work - it can be a massive hamstring builder. I donít need big quads; I need bigger numbers and enough muscular balance to avoid injury. You saying a baseball player got injured because he didnít do lying leg curls and only squat is quite a stretch.

I donít have any shots of me in a speedo, but in this pic of me deadlifting 628lbs can see my legs are at least proportional to the rest of me:

Attachment 171479
    I wanna train with Hyde!
  13. Working legs overrated? For some people they could be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton View Post
    No i said he worked his quads and didnt work his hamstrings. Its very,very common that football players and baseball players get injured bc of a quad/ham imbalance.
    True dat! Iím a case in point! I pulled my right hammy sprinting in July. My trainer suggested my quads were overpowering my weak hammies. 35 years at a desk job does that. Since then, I train my hammies at least twice a week. They were so underdeveloped that the size increase is noticeable, at least to me.

This is a great back and forth. Very valuable info from both sides of the discussion.

Thank you!

14. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    Not all my hobbies are synergistic. I sometimes travel to and hike remote places in my holidays. A 2 week trek through the NSW rainforest was my latest adventure. Rationed food and 60 miles of bush bashing through a rainforest which made the jungle in Predator look like a golf course turned my legs to tooth picks.
    Fair enough buddy. If there was ever a reason this is the one I did not expect to hear and I take back what I said. Sounds like a pretty decent trade off.

15. Rarely you find people training legs that you think fare play man you are training hard

Thereís either bros who donít even touch them and have twigs

Or the sort who load up a leg press to like 300-500kg

And half rep it

Donít get me wrong Iíve seen my fair share of people hitting legs hard but itís not often

16. From the master and 4 x champion. I’ll take his word...

Name:  6BE19B02-1C4A-4BB4-9F3E-7BA1C2D3330A.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  147.4 KB

17. Quote Originally Posted by LoveCompeting View Post
    From the master and 4 x champion. I’ll take his word...

O i agree with that

Of course on physique it can be beneficial . If you have really good legs already in Classic or even bodybuilding you coud back off them coming into the show .
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www.millenniumsport.net
    AMDEC50

18. Anyone here of the belief there's only so much muscle one can naturally hold onto regardless of how it is distributed throughout the body? You can have huge legs at the expense of some upper body size and vice versa.

19. Quote Originally Posted by LoveCompeting View Post
    From the master and 4 x champion. Iíll take his word...

I do feel obligated to point out, he said ďhe had me back off legs the last 6 weeksĒ. So, sounds like he was hitting legs hard, but ďbacked offĒ as in, not doing as much, but still doing legs.

20. I guess I'm just the thick headed one here, but I don't understand how you could win a physique contest without a well proportioned physique. The whole notion of not working legs hard is completely lost on me.

21. Quote Originally Posted by ericos_bob View Post
    Anyone here of the belief there's only so much muscle one can naturally hold onto regardless of how it is distributed throughout the body? You can have huge legs at the expense of some upper body size and vice versa.
    No, and it doesn't have to be one or the other.

22. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I guess I'm just the thick headed one here, but I don't understand how you could win a physique contest without a well proportioned physique. The whole notion of not working legs hard is completely lost on me.
    Agreed. Just because your legs aren’t or don’t need to be your focal point doesn’t mean ignore them.
    High Intensity Training log, wedding prep:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/305228-wedding-preparation-next.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Some people shouldn't be allowed in the gym
    By freqfly in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 04:39 AM
  2. WHY CREATINE DOESN'T WORK! (for some people)
    By AndroAnarchy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 11:50 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 03:44 AM
  4. What works for some (another overtraining rant)
    By iron addict in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 09:47 PM