Working legs overrated? For some people they could be correct?

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
So lets take a guy who competes in physique. I've had judges tell me and these were top judges, that they don't give a **** about legs. Never have, never will in that division and will never ever get a competitor any points. What they do care about is back, abs, and shoulder development. Chest really doesn't matter either in physique.

But anyway, do you think focusing on legs is overrated compared to other muscle groups? What are your thoughts? I see so many guys out there who go crazy with leg days. I think we all know on this board you can build a wonderful looking body without really worrying about legs. Sure you may want to throw in some leg work so you look more balanced but other than that unless you are competing in mens bodybuilding or a power lifter you would be better off focusing heavily on other muscle groups.

We do know that leg work is great for range of motion and flexibility so I would think that a guy unless he's being judged on legs would benefit more from using leg day to work on that instead of focusing on muscle mass. Just don't ever , and I repeat ever, ignore exercises for calves. Everyone can benefit from a nice set of those and those are the sexiest part of the leg anyway.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally think so. I've never focused on my legs a great deal. One fortunate side effect of my former obesity is that my legs had to get big just to haul my fat @ss around!

But unless you're looking to be a mass monster or playing a sport where leg strength is needed, I think just throwing a set of 20 heavy-ish squats or plyometrics with every other workout is plenty to get enough size and definition for people to notice your legs

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Your completely overlooking the fact that legs are the largest muscle group and therefore training them has the potential for higher test release which leads to greater gains in other groups.

For example studies have proven that training legs and arms leads to more growth in arms than training arms alone.......

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your completely overlooking the fact that legs are the largest muscle group and therefore training them has the potential for higher test release which leads to greater gains in other groups.

For example studies have proven that training legs and arms leads to more growth in arms than training arms alone.......
And I'm sure most girls will laugh at your little lady legs too lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is also true. Nothing worse than a sh1t set of wheels on a guy
As long as there fairly in line with the upper body I think it looks ok. If someone doesn't work out and are skinny all around I think it looks better then having arms bigger then your legs or being a fat guy with skinny legs.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
As long as there fairly in line with the upper body I think it looks ok. If someone doesn't work out and are skinny all around I think it looks better then having arms bigger then your legs or being a fat guy with skinny legs.
Sorry that’s what I meant, on people who train (I sometimes forget not everyone lives at the gym lol)

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do agree with both of you as well. I just think that working your legs with compound lifts multiple times a week is better than a dedicated leg day.
Nothing worse than this chit
legday-8.jpg

Attachments

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have to vouch for the fact that training legs definitely helps develop your overall physique. I'm a total leg day dodger. I can bench more than I can squat... And that's quite embarrassing. When I have incorporated squats and deadlifts to my routine though the boost to the cns gives an overall feeling of well being that improves every workout regardless of what is being trained.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
I agree that legs are great to train and they make me feel great. I love training legs but my question was really based around if a guy should spend more time building his legs than other muscle groups. Especially if he's into mens physique or competes in that division. To me legs should be the last priority but I'm not saying ignore them. Building a back is going to lead to way more wins or top 5 finishes than a good set of legs in MP. So if a guy has a day where he has to choose between back or shoulders vs legs well he would be much better off focusing on back or shoulders. He can always throw in a little leg work as well that day.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I agree that legs are great to train and they make me feel great. I love training legs but my question was really based around if a guy should spend more time building his legs than other muscle groups. Especially if he's into mens physique or competes in that division. To me legs should be the last priority but I'm not saying ignore them. Building a back is going to lead to way more wins or top 5 finishes than a good set of legs in MP. So if a guy has a day where he has to choose between back or shoulders vs legs well he would be much better off focusing on back or shoulders. He can always throw in a little leg work as well that day.
I would agree for aesthetic purposes. Probably worth throwing some deadlifts in though just to get everything firing.

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ll throw my hat in on this because I have never liked training legs. However, with that said there are way too many benefits to overlook them. How are you supposed to train heavy upper body when your legs can’t support the weight? I am anti sitting where ever possible so that I work the stabilizers so for things like rows or shoulder press I like to use standing over head press or standing bent rows. Without my legs being built up and strong enough to give me that base I wouldn’t be able to push or pull the same weight. That’s just from me listening to my body but I’m pretty sure science would back me up. Not to mention I have the best sex after I rip some heavy squats or deads... again that’s just me but science will back me on that too.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You don’t have to go full Tom Platz, but you should treat legs like a real muscle group and hit them with the same intensity as other muscles. Why are you choosing between hitting back and legs? Find a program that has both. Missing one workout is different, but for a habit, just do them all.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have to vouch for the fact that training legs definitely helps develop your overall physique. I'm a total leg day dodger. I can bench more than I can squat... And that's quite embarrassing. When I have incorporated squats and deadlifts to my routine though the boost to the cns gives an overall feeling of well being that improves every workout regardless of what is being trained.
I used to never train legs and now I really enjoy it because I’ve also noticed it gives a good sense of well-being.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There needs to be a limit on how many threads a week you can make lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
And they both make so many threads that you have to sift through there titles just to find one that's not there's. He literally has the notification section 75% to himself
Edit. 50% I counted

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is his doppelgänger!

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Most athletes don't have large legs

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Since when does Chest not count in physique OP? Also, good luck building good delts and arms never training chest...

No chest? What are you smoking man?
7E163F4C-A778-4E59-B7DC-E8EDDC361D6A-301-00000009B704E10B.jpeg

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Life is not a bb show. For true strength, you need strong legs.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Life is not a bb show. For true strength, you need strong legs.
Bingo. Who wants to go through life intentionally benching as much as you squat?? I don’t base my standards for personal aesthetics on whatever Classic Physique judges deem appropriate - I want to look strong, not like I have Polio.

The letter Y is not a sexy look. Woman like a full firm ass, and you’re not getting that from any amount of Lat Pulldowns. Give the legs as much attention as you give your other muscles.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I haven’t did any leg exercises in the last 10 years,until 2 weeks ago. I started 10lbs bag squats,and Barbell Shoulder Press Squats. I love the overall feeling that I receive during after the workout!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I did legs every week till I could fit a 32 waist, but couldnt put on anything smaller than a 34 pant. The waist fits but if I try to bend or squat it is tight.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I did legs every week till I could fit a 32 waist, but couldnt put on anything smaller than a 34 pant. The waist fits but if I try to bend or squat it is tight.
Same here Bro! That’s why I want Squat heavy,because my legs and Gluteus will get bigger..

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You won’t look to silly from not training legs unless your sticking needles in your bum.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You won’t look to silly from not training legs unless your sticking needles in your bum.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Would there even be enough thickness? ha ha

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes training legs is a must just like any other body part

ideally devote as much time to your hamstrings as you do your quads. As far as calves I do them on a different day and sometimes twice a week.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've seen plenty of ppl who don't juice and look rediculous from top to bottom difference in size, arms bigger then there legs

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've seen plenty of ppl who don't juice and look rediculous from top to bottom difference in size, arms bigger then there legs
you sure they don’t juice? I got good legs. My upper arms are bigger than my calves BUT my calves are still proportional looking to my body.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love the feeling of having a strong base. Train legs for a couple weeks and you’ll feel better just walking around.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I love the feeling of having a strong base. Train legs for a couple weeks and you’ll feel better just walking around.
Yep, imo it’s the one thing that should never be missed. Too many benefits outside of just leg development.

But

It’s tough and can be hard (if your pushing it) so people don’t. I mean no one ever sh1t themselves from a heavy curl did they lol

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, imo it’s the one thing that should never be missed. Too many benefits outside of just leg development.

But

It’s tough and can be hard (if your pushing it) so people don’t. I mean no one ever sh1t themselves from a heavy curl did they lol
Hahaha, true.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

But

Hahaha, true.
Ummmm.........Y'all aint working hard enough, or maybe it was the expolsive diarrhea. Lol

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Since when does Chest not count in physique OP? Also, good luck building good delts and arms never training chest...

No chest? What are you smoking man?
View attachment 170850
If you have ever competed you know they don't give you points for chest. Yes you need to work chest of course you do who the **** doesn't do that? But it is not a priority over back, shoulders, or abs. Take two guys, and the one with a better back will always defeat the guy who is lacking in that area no matter how great his chest looks.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you have ever competed you know they don't give you points for chest. Yes you need to work chest of course you do who the **** doesn't do that? But it is not a priority over back, shoulders, or abs. Take two guys, and the one with a better back will always defeat the guy who is lacking in that area no matter how great his chest looks.
That in no way means that you don’t need a good chest. If your chest is out of proportion with the rest of your body, good luck doing well. Having back be more important doesn’t mean that it’s not important or doesn’t matter, just that it’s less important than something else.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
If you read my original post I say its important to work legs but other muscle groups take priority over them if you are competing in mens physique .Just how it goes and that is reality. You don't get points of any kind in MP for leg development. The judges don't give a ****, never have never will. In other divisions legs are important and get you points such as 212 and Mens open Bodybuilding. Some guys in MP choose to have nice legs but honestly the judges do not care!

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
That in no way means that you don’t need a good chest. If your chest is out of proportion with the rest of your body, good luck doing well. Having back be more important doesn’t mean that it’s not important or doesn’t matter, just that it’s less important than something else.
Of course you need a nice chest, but IT DOES NOT TAKE PRIORITY OVER OTHER MUSCLE GROUPS THAT ARE JUDGED WITH POINTS. JUST LIKE LEGS, you want to be balanced but those are not going to have any influence on how many points you receive. MP guys don't have to build massive legs to win shows.

What is most important in my opinion is that a guy looks balanced overall.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Of course you need a nice chest, but IT DOES NOT TAKE PRIORITY OVER OTHER MUSCLE GROUPS THAT ARE JUDGED WITH POINTS. JUST LIKE LEGS, you you want to be balanced but those are not going to have any influence on how many points you receive.

What is most important in my opinion is that a guy looks balanced overall.
When did I say it takes priority man? All I said is that it’s important. You’re the one making a myriad of qualifications for everything you say. You can have something not be the paramount concern but still be important.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
When did I say it takes priority man? All I said is that it’s important. You’re the one making a myriad of qualifications for everything you say. You can have something not be the paramount concern but still be important.
The confusion of the internet! I was putting it in caps so others understand who read this thread. Not directed at you in anyway man! LOL

BTW Buendia probably had the best legs of all the guys at the OLYMPIA this year and placed 4th.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnzBSmgne00/?taken-by=jeremy_buendia

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
He just didn’t come in good this year. Really an off day for him.
He looked really soft compared to other years in the video of his posing routine. Maybe it was that he only prepped for 8 weeks and had to take extra gear which ended up causing this? What is your opinion? I know he isn't stupid enough to eat like **** the day before so that can't be it.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He looked really soft compared to other years in the video of his posing routine. Maybe it was that he only prepped for 8 weeks and had to take extra gear which ended up causing this? What is your opinion? I know he isn't stupid enough to eat like **** the day before so that can't be it.
No idea. Some people just have bad days/shows. Happens to many elite-level pros; if I knew how to prevent it I’d be a rich prep-coach lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Timing matters. How foods get digested, when diuretics kick, was he holding more water from his drugs or travel etc than typical at that point in the prep - these are variables that are tough to control, never mind guys truly usually do end up tweaking things some a little whether they’re cognizant of it or not.

We traveled overseas for my gf to compete for the first time this summer and her body held about 3lbs of water much harder than usual during the water cut. Flying to Vegas didn’t do this, but traveling for a full day did. That kind of water weight reflects in a physique for sure.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Timing matters. How foods get digested, when diuretics kick, was he holding more water from his drugs or travel etc than typical at that point in the prep - these are variables that are tough to control, never mind guys truly usually do end up tweaking things some a little whether they’re cognizant of it or not.

We traveled overseas for my gf to compete for the first time this summer and her body held about 3lbs of water much harder than usual during the water cut. Flying to Vegas didn’t do this, but traveling for a full day did. That kind of water weight reflects in a physique for sure.
Yeah that is true. He posted some awesome progress pics about a week out and looked better in my opinion than at the same point last year when he won the Olympia. Oh well just wasn't his year and he's a 4 x Champion so he has nothing to be ashamed about. To finish top 5 in an off year is still an amazing accomplishment.