Do you get sore anymore after a workout even when you do legs?

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Do you ever get sore after workouts that much?

Thoughts on this subject please.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Definitely, but there’s a good amount of rotation in the hypertrophy movements on the back half of the training session, as well as load manipulation.

Soreness tends to be from variety in training stimuli, not necessarily efficacy. I wish I didn’t get sore so often! Factors like meeting recovery needs can also affect this, but I can guarantee with any amount of sleep and food that if I do 100 bodyweight squats unbroken tomorrow I will be extremely sore from the 100-Rep set I am not conditioned for.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Comes down to training frequency. Once a week and I can't squat to take a dump. Twice a week leg training sees a little soreness but it's negligible. If I train legs EOD or ED running intense programs such as Smolov I don't get sore at all.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
SQT/DL no.....BP and OHP yes but I have shoulder/pec tightness and problems so is mostly from stretching when I'm sore

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Anytime I make major changes to a program I tend to get sore for a short period with the new stimulus. Only a couple rotations of the exercise tho before I’m no longer sore after workouts. The exception being if I painfully under eat or get almost no sleep. Those will also crush recovery and make me sore even on a standard workout.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anytime I make major changes to a program I tend to get sore for a short period with the new stimulus. Only a couple rotations of the exercise tho before I’m no longer sore after workouts. The exception being if I painfully under eat or get almost no sleep. Those will also crush recovery and make me sore even on a standard workout.
This. The more time one has under their belt, DOMS are less. A few weeks ago, I swapped pec deck for incline flies, my chest was really sore for two days, but the following week, not nearly as sore. I kind of like it, but don't as well. I like not having to baby sore muscles when I move around, but I felt like I worked the muscle more. It is a mental thing we all should get over since soreness is not an indication of growth or a good session

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
If you're not feeling a little sore then I doubt you're getting a sufficient training stimulus

Now obviously there is a lot you can do to get sore that will result in nothing happening also, but that's not what I am saying
If you look at the reasons why DOMS happens you'll see why if you're training correctly you should get them

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Got sick and did nothing for 2 weeks. Second week back and I havent felt so sore in ages.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
not so much. sometimes when I do more volume or if I take a week off but the amount of weights I use I can only do a certain amount of volume or my central nervous system is beat up. usually when I go heavier and/or more intense I have to watch it because of safety and injury prevention

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, constantly. I am in a continual state of activity and changing up my workouts, so I walk around in a perpetual cycle of mild soreness to all out pain depending on what I am doing.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I change what I do every time so I’m basically always sore. Especially on leg day.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
I get more sore all the time lol. Each time I perform an exercise, I am that much better at it - and can make it that much more intense. I am also 51 years old. Perfect storm. Turn up the intensity. Grip harder, squeeze harder, set up yourself up for the exercise at hand tighter / better. Always find a way to turn it up.

Reactions: dds
LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
The more you work a muscle the less sore it will be. If a person was to suffer an injury and not able to lift weights for a while and then went back I guarantee you after lifting they would be sore AF depending what muscle group was worked.

jewgold

jewgold

Awards
  • Established
I remember reading a statement from a highly regarded coach/bodybuilder, ect...might have been Jim wendler. If you are constantly sore than your programming sucks.
I ve been doing 531 for a while now, but constantly changing my 531 variations and assistance work.
And I ve hardly been getting sore. Which usually makes me wonder if I have been working out intensely enough. But I've been getting stronger regardless. So I think the soreness factor is YMMV.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For a while no and frankly flat-lined.. then started training with neighbor since Feb and we push the envelope most workouts.
Try and push one more rep or weight out of a day. I feel it the entire day.
We also do Arnold's Shark the Muscle and mix up going max heavy on first set instep of ramp up approach.

So now yes, of course weights have increased and so has mass. I thought I was tapped out. I was wrong.

I guess it depends on how one trains. Strength training program vs. Bodybuilding. Going for heaviest 1RM % vs. many moderate 1RM%. etc.etc.

Farlesworth

Farlesworth

Awards
Do you ever get sore after workouts that much?

Thoughts on this subject please.
I do not.

When I am training consistently on a structured program I basically don't get DOMS...unless I do lying triceps extensions. Those get me every time...that deep eccentric stretch as I get the bar below the bench is surely what does that. Primarily strength based training on the big 4.

If you're not feeling a little sore then I doubt you're getting a sufficient training stimulus

Now obviously there is a lot you can do to get sore that will result in nothing happening also, but that's not what I am saying
If you look at the reasons why DOMS happens you'll see why if you're training correctly you should get them

One can certainly train quite correctly without getting any noticeable DOMS

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Yes a lack of soreness does not indicate insufficient training stimulus. If that were the case I wouldn't have gained 100lbs on my squat running Smolov. I was sore the first week only.

Bignick31985

Awards
Doing 1 leg day I was toasted. Upped to 2 helped ease soreness.

Now doing Smolov, not sore much, but you just 'feel' it all week. Chest/Tris, back/Bis, Shoulders, etc keep me sore. Good sore but sore.

Gonna start bench twice a week in a bit, see if it helps ease soreness like upping leg days did.

Max week is next week for Smolov, so we'll see how much I've gone up in 5 weeks. Excited for sure.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If I dont get myself at least minimally sore, I consider my lift a failure.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Try taking a rest day sometimes that helps a lot. You’ll get sore if you take one how’s your nutrition? Some people say if you lift too often you use up all of your arachidonic acid stores. Which ends up making you not sore and you’ll have a hard time getting a good pump.