front box squat helped at first but now causing pain

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I started doing box squats after I started to stall on regular front squat and started having knee pain. I switched to box and it was working at first, but now causes me pain but ONLY when coming up from the bench. squatting down causes no pain. Sadly, I don't have a video and I'm taking at least 3 weeks off of any squatting and taking lots of cissus in the meantime. Anyone ever had this problem? I'm doing front squats because I have damage in my shoulders, so barbell back hurts even with high bar and my shoulders just recently started feeling better so I don't want to flare up old injuries.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I say use a DB or a KB and focus on those. Keep an eye on where your knee tracks but also be sore your kneecap is tracking correctly. Pistol squats and heel touches off a box have worked wonders and I still have a torn ACL in my right knee. Just squatted 335 for 3 and I’m still doing fine. Setbacks happen and my issue was a simple fix of my gluteus. Def try to get us a video to examine mechanics if you can.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I say use a DB or a KB and focus on those. Keep an eye on where your knee tracks but also be sore your kneecap is tracking correctly. Pistol squats and heel touches off a box have worked wonders and I still have a torn ACL in my right knee. Just squatted 335 for 3 and I’m still doing fine. Setbacks happen and my issue was a simple fix of my gluteus. Def try to get us a video to examine mechanics if you can.
Thanks. A problem I have also is, while I did have surgery on my feet, I still don't have much of an arch. In fact I don't have visible arches in my feet at all, but the arches shoe up on an x-ray. The surgery DID make it so my knees stick more out naturally instead of caving in forward.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have quite the valgus alignment but there are ways to still be effective. My navicular rests on the floor my feet are so flat

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
A few things you can try.

Changing the height of the box
The distance between your feet
Barefoot / different shoes
The degree that your feet are pointing out

Without actually being with you in person, this is really hard to tell really. So, you'll have to embrace your own Nikola Tesla and experiment until you find something that works

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I have quite the valgus alignment but there are ways to still be effective. My navicular rests on the floor my feet are so flat
Same here man. I actually fixed it by flexing my food against band resistance