Chest Isolations

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
When I try to isolate my chest, I do not feel the pectoral muscles working
Any tips?

I can get a very big chest pump through the following type of training. So I can get a great pump:

Machine chest press - ramp up in 8s
Low incline bench - ramp up in 8s

But then I try to isolate the chest through flies and I don't feel it working and lose the pump. I feel like I'm missing out on some gains due to not being able to correctly work the muscle and get it to contract as hard as possible

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
1 arm cable flys. Set the handle just below the shoulder and reach all the way across to the other side for stability. Then pull the humorous across your body with your pinky finishing upward. Squeeze for 2-3secs and slowly return. By slow I mean 2 secs. I love these personally and can watch the fibers construct and stretch on the return. I’m not lean at all so I know anyone can do it.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Use those exercises you can feel, do a bunch of extra work to induce soreness. The next couple days, try out different exercises. It can be a lot easier to get the feel while you have some soreness.

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m onto week6 of John meadows gamma bomb.

And last weekend for the pump day workout he started off chest with twist presses.

I’ve never done them before or even heard of them, but when done they really fire up the pecs and you get such a great squeeze and mind/muscle connection

https://youtu.be/a4LNK8W_9-g

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Cable flyes sitting on a bench with a med incline (handles on the low cross over setting obviously) really help me with this.

Recently started using it as a pre fatigue before flat bench which has been good.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I really feel the pec deck, but when I set up, I make sure I retract my shoulder blades and push my chest out. I have a slight bend in the elbows, but not too much and I squeeze at the top. I will also tuck my chin into my chest and at the peak contraction, I feel the chest contract against my chin. I see people using a lot of weight, bending the hell out of their elbows and using their arms. Light weight, just think of your arms as hooks.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I really feel the pec deck, but when I set up, I make sure I retract my shoulder blades and push my chest out. I have a slight bend in the elbows, but not too much and I squeeze at the top. I will also tuck my chin into my chest and at the peak contraction, I feel the chest contract against my chin. I see people using a lot of weight, bending the hell out of their elbows and using their arms. Light weight, just think of your arms as hooks.
I agree about dropping the weight
I feel benching hits me harder doing 205-225 rather than 275

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone, I have a lot of different things to try next chest session. I have a feeling that those twist presses will work well, as just mimicking the movement without anything in my hands really allows me to flex my chest!

I'll post again after my next chest session this week with what I found worked well out of all your suggestions. Thanks again

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Dumbell pullovers also hit the chest incredibly hard.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Dumbell pullovers also hit the chest incredibly hard.
That’s defineitely an exercise that’s very personal. For me, I don’t feel these in my chest one iota and usually only end up with triceps or lat soreness. Never chest

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
[video=youtube;RlIRfly78oo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlIRfly78oo[/video]

IMHO the best isolation for chest. Make sure to cross both breasts on the top movement, that is the benefit of the exercise.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
So I did those twist presses today and it completely toasted my pecs. It was easy to feel the chest after doing these!

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So I did those twist presses today and it completely toasted my pecs. It was easy to feel the chest after doing these!
I love them now, and always start with them to warm up.

Whiteboyblue

Awards
I find with dumbbell flies if you move your arms further up towards your head it isolates the pec much better