HORIZONTAL VS VERTICAL TRICEPS MOVEMENTS

1. HORIZONTAL VS VERTICAL TRICEPS MOVEMENTS

TRAINING TIPS: HORIZONTAL VS VERTICAL TRICEPS MOVEMENTS
    New from Chaos and Pain

by Ed Shanks on 28 Aug 2018

So, I guess you have decided that you want big arms. Good. And hopefully you have realized that the Triceps make up 2/3 of your arm mass. Even better. However, how do you train those suckers to get the most strength/ size possible? You train with vertical movements. No wait. You train with horizontal movements. Maybe not. What is the best way to train the triceps? Keep reading to decide for yourself.

HORIZONTAL TRICEPS MOVEMENTS

(Triceps Extensions, AKA Skull Crushers)

What is a horizontal triceps movement? Iím glad you asked. It is any movement that works the triceps with the humorous (upper arm bone) in a horizontal position to the ground. These would be your skull crushers, triceps kickbacks, etc.

TRICEPS ISOLATION

(Triceps Kickbacks)

One of the major benefits of these movements is the ability to isolate the triceps muscles. When the humorous is away from the body, the lats and shoulders are less involved. Most of the load is placed on the triceps to lift and lower the weight. Also, the largest muscle of the triceps is worked the most. If the largest muscle gets stronger and bigger, then your arm will also get bigger and stronger.

LESS WEIGHT REQUIRED

Because the lats and shoulders are less involved, these movements require less weight to stimulate the triceps. Anytime you can use less weight and get better results, that is a win. Your ligaments and tendons grow 3-4 times slower than your muscles. By using less weight, you allow them to get stronger without risking getting injured.

VERTICAL TRICEPS MOVEMENTS

(Triceps Pushdowns)

What is a vertical triceps movement? Itís any movement that works the triceps, you guessed it, with the humorous in a vertical position to the ground. These exercises include triceps pushdowns, dips, and even bench presses.

RECRUITS MORE MUSCLE GROUPS

(Dips)

If you want to gain more overall size, you canít beat compound movements. It just so happens that some of the best vertical triceps exercises are compound movements. The bench press not only builds massive triceps, it also will give you a larger chest, shoulders, and lats. Likewise, dips will make your entire upper body grow. To maximize triceps growth, squeeze and flex your triceps when your arms are in a locked-out position.

YOU CAN USE HEAVY WEIGHTS

(Bench Dips)

If your lifts donít periodically get stronger, you will find it hard to gain strength and size. The benefit of most vertical triceps movements is that you can use heavier weights. Your body will adapt to the heavier weights by making sure your body has enough muscle to handle and support the load.

WHAT TYPE IS BETTER FOR ARM STRENGTH AND GROWTH?

Everyone is different, and so are their muscle insertions (unless you are an identical twin, but hey, Iím not talking to you). The simple answer is that you should include both types of movements in your training. However, I would recommend starting with the compound movements, and then add the isolation movements at the end of your workout. Also, if an exercise causes you any kind of pain, donít do it. If your goal is strength, then vertical movements will help the most. If you want size and want to really blast the triceps, perform more horizontal movements. And if you are like me and hate doing the same thing every workout, then change it up. Vertical dominate workout one week, and horizontal dominate the next. Good luck on you quest for bigger/ stronger arms.

https://www.chaosandpain.com/tips/tr...eps-movements/

@pyrobatt @BloodManor
    Chaos & Pain Rep

2. I do both of these pretty frequently, but overall and for joint health I find the verticle movements I can progressively overload better and sustain progress over the long term. One of my favorite horizontal movements are skull crushers, but for me they almost instantly destroy my elbows so I usually stay away from them. Cable tricep extensions and seated overhead rope extensions are great for me and I use these as substitutes because I can get a great stretch on the muscle and an intense contraction.

What do you guys find works best for your triceps?
    Chaos & Pain Rep
    •   

3. I agree I love skull crushers for the burn but they are killer on my elbow. That’s why I stick with tri pull downs and close grip bench.
    -Chaos and Pain Rep -
    www.chaosandpain.com

4. Quote Originally Posted by EMPIREMIND View Post
    I do both of these pretty frequently, but overall and for joint health I find the verticle movements I can progressively overload better and sustain progress over the long term. One of my favorite horizontal movements are skull crushers, but for me they almost instantly destroy my elbows so I usually stay away from them. Cable tricep extensions and seated overhead rope extensions are great for me and I use these as substitutes because I can get a great stretch on the muscle and an intense contraction.

What do you guys find works best for your triceps?
    I probably get the best connection from overhead rope extensions (actually recently started doing these using the rings and body weight which is working nicely).

I do think close grip bench is hard to beat for overall growth though....

5. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    I probably get the best connection from overhead rope extensions (actually recently started doing these using the rings and body weight which is working nicely).

Yes close grip bench just makes you feel so pumped. It’s such a great exercise, I try making my hands touch as much as possible
    -Chaos and Pain Rep -
    www.chaosandpain.com
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post

I think I agree with you on that
    Chaos & Pain Rep

7. I don't get much out of close grip bench or dips for tricep development. Skull crushers have by far put the most meat on my tri's. OH tricep extensions are a close second.

8. If you look at the function of the triceps you'll see that the action of the overhead triceps extension will train it best.

Train them heavy
    Train them from the stretched position
    Get a massive pump

So that can look like:
    Close grip bench press or dips up to a heavy set of 8
    Overhead triceps extensions - 4x10
    Skullcrushers / pushdowns - 4x10
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html

9. Yes that's what I go for. I never bothered looking into the biomechanics. In general the exercises that give the best pumps put on the most size and strength in my case.

10. For the overhead extension do you prefer dumbbells or barbells or cable?
    Been using a cable lately and it burns
    -Chaos and Pain Rep -
    www.chaosandpain.com

11. For triceps I like close grip bench press, decline DB tricep extension, dips and French presses. Although to be honest I like a lot of different movements not just those

12. Quote Originally Posted by BloodManor View Post
    For the overhead extension do you prefer dumbbells or barbells or cable?
    I like the seated rope overhead extensions with the cable. Old school french curls are great, but the cable really keeps the tension better and doesn't mess with my elbows
    Chaos & Pain Rep

13. Quote Originally Posted by BloodManor View Post
    For the overhead extension do you prefer dumbbells or barbells or cable?
    I like the cables best
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html

14. Meadows has some amazing tips for Triceps.
    Current Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/304802-themovement-bringing-blitz
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 05:38 AM
  2. Ergopharm vs. IDC
    By true_c in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-07-2002, 10:14 AM
  3. Formasin vs. 6-oxo
    By scotty2 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2002, 10:32 PM