Full Body Routines

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Full Body Routines

so far ive been looking at

5x5 ICF https://www.**********************/w...novice-workout

Golden 6 https://www.t-nation.com/training/ti...lds-golden-six

i don't think they cover enough. Does anyone know any other routines?

2. In my experience the best full body routines do not train the full body every time but an upper body exercise + a lower body exercise and covering all the plains throughout the week. For example:

Day 1:
    Behind the neck push press
    Jump squats

Day 2:
    Curl and Press
    High Pulls

Day 3:
    Strict Press
    Deadlifts

Day 4:
    Bench Press
    Zercher lifts

Day 5:
    Weighted Pullups
    Squats

Day 6:
    Weighted dips
    Paused squats
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by AlexPowell View Post
    In my experience the best full body routines do not train the full body every time but an upper body exercise + a lower body exercise and covering all the plains throughout the week. For example:

Day 1:
    Behind the neck push press
    Jump squats

Day 2:
    Curl and Press
    High Pulls

Day 3:
    Strict Press
    Deadlifts

Day 4:
    Bench Press
    Zercher lifts

Day 5:
    Weighted Pullups
    Squats

Day 6:
    Weighted dips
    Paused squats
    yea that's cool. I should of mention that one of the main reasons im looking at a full body is because ive been missing workout days. That work out does look good. I do like that strategy of doing a upper body exercise + a lower body exercise in saving time when life gets busy. Definitely be using this.

4. I just made this routine - Full body - version 1.0

LEGS - SQUATS - 2 X 10
    CALF - RAISES - 2 X 10
    (super set)

CHEST - BENCH PRESS - 3 X 10
    BICEPS - PREACHER CURLS - 3 X 10
    (superset)

SHOULDERS - MILITARY PRESS - 2 X 10
    BACK - DEADLIFTS - 2 X 10
    (superset)

BACK - BARBELL ROWS - 2 X 10
    TRICEPS - PULL DOWNS - 1 X 10
    (superset)

SHOULDERS - BENT OVER RAISE - 1 X 10
    BICEPS - HAMMER CURL - 1 X 10
    (superset)

ABS CRUNCHES - 1 X 200

So EOD, 3x week or as much as possible - if time permits.

I should be able to plow threw this workout, my concern is does it look balance as possible for a full body routine? Should I add, take away anything?

5. this is prolly easier for the eyes.

•   

6. I am a huge fan of full body workouts completed every 72 hours, I do mine push, pull, legs, and then switch over to shoulders, bis, tris, traps, forearms, and calves, all super-sets for the most part as long as there is no crossover of secondary muscles. 9 sets for every body part per workout except for legs which get 12 since they recover better than any of my other body parts.

I do 125 carbs, 50 protein, and 18 fat, 90 minutes before the workout so that my stomach is empty by the time I get to the gym. I do an intro workout carb intake of 50 grams with EAAs added in, in order for my bodies insulin spikes to prevent muscle protein break down during the long workout. The workout usually takes 2.5 hours give or take, but some days I push the intensity a bit to much and finish in under 2 hours so usually next workout I have to ease up a bit and take extra recovery time between sets so that I don't build up a recovery deficit which happens to me when I push things a bit to much and don't recover fully before the next workout. For me the first few working set will tell me if I need to ease up or not, if they feel heavier then they did last workout, I drop the weight down a peg for the next two sets of the exercise. (Almost like mini in built de-loads). For progression, I like to add an extra rep every time I'm still feeling good at the current last rep of the set, works great since I'm only pushing forward when my body is feeling ready for it. After workout nutrition is 70 grams of protein and around 150 carbs in the two hour window post workout split between twp fast digesting meals.

I am going to try a 4 day split for a bit quite soon, but I really love this style of doing things and will switch right back to it in unless another way of training I try blows the results out of the water.

7. I do Full Body 3 days a week.

My routine is:

Close Grip Lat 5x8
    Reverse Grip Lat 5x8
    Bicep Curl 5x8
    Seated Chest Press 5x8
    Mid Rows 5x8
    Low Rows 5x8
    Decline Bench 5x8
    Incline Bench 5x8
    Deadlift 5x8
    Tricep Pushdown 5x8
    Ab Crunches 5x20

Those are my base sets. I can knock that out in about an hour and 30 mins. Then I add various xtra work in like:

Bicep Dropsets at 4x100, 6x90, 8x80, 10x70, Additional deadlift sets, lower rep heavy decline bench sets, heavy lat pull down sets. I vary my xtra work every set.

My routine might be extreme, but I've gotten results. The key is to find what works best for you.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Borashi View Post
    I do Full Body 3 days a week.

My routine is:

Close Grip Lat 5x8
    Reverse Grip Lat 5x8
    Bicep Curl 5x8
    Seated Chest Press 5x8
    Mid Rows 5x8
    Low Rows 5x8
    Decline Bench 5x8
    Incline Bench 5x8
    Deadlift 5x8
    Tricep Pushdown 5x8
    Ab Crunches 5x20

Those are my base sets. I can knock that out in about an hour and 30 mins. Then I add various xtra work in like:

Bicep Dropsets at 4x100, 6x90, 8x80, 10x70, Additional deadlift sets, lower rep heavy decline bench sets, heavy lat pull down sets. I vary my xtra work every set.

My routine might be extreme, but I've gotten results. The key is to find what works best for you.
    To be honest although this might work for you it isn’t really a full body routine that’ll work for most people.

Obviously omissions are anything more than deadlifts for legs (now I’m a huge fan of dead’s for both backs and legs but your missing wheel growth if that’s your only leg exercise) and nothing over head.....yeah sure the shoulders get worked on bench etc (although if you bench with decent form it should limit the shoulder impact somewhat and incline will only hit front delts properly).

I also think for most people having deads so late in the routine (esp after all the precious rows etc) will limit the weight pulled and therefore limit the effectiveness of the biggest compound in there.

Like I say if it works for you and you get results that’s cool and I’m not saying you should change, just highlighting to the OP that this is very unlikely to provide optimal benefits for him imo.....

Something like madcow 5x5 and much much better option for 3 a week full body.

9. Double post

10. I did full body 3×week 1, maybe 2 exercises per body part. 1×10, 3x6 on each exercise. It was the best results I ever made naturally. Progressed for about 6 months before it went stale. I was also a newbie at that time and 17 So that probably played a role. Check out 20rep squat routine

11. Quote Originally Posted by Whey View Post
    this is prolly easier for the eyes.

You got more bicep work then leg work?

12. Quote Originally Posted by Whey View Post
    this is prolly easier for the eyes.

That's just going to kick your ass and not in a good way. By the time you get to military press, you're likely not going to be able to continue this workout with any meaningful weight
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html

13. Quote Originally Posted by Borashi View Post
    I do Full Body 3 days a week.

My routine is:

Close Grip Lat 5x8
    Reverse Grip Lat 5x8
    Bicep Curl 5x8
    Seated Chest Press 5x8
    Mid Rows 5x8
    Low Rows 5x8
    Decline Bench 5x8
    Incline Bench 5x8
    Deadlift 5x8
    Tricep Pushdown 5x8
    Ab Crunches 5x20

Nice program- yea i would do this. Just trying to make a program to get my self out of the gym fast when im busy

14. Quote Originally Posted by Smont View Post
    You got more bicep work then leg work?
    Your right what do you suggest?

I did add leg curls earlier only because a coworker looked at my program said i wasnt doing enough.

So looks like this now.

So 3 sets legs, 2 sets calves, or should i just ditch the hammer curls and do forearms, what do you suggest?

15. Quote Originally Posted by AlexPowell View Post
    That's just going to kick your ass and not in a good way. By the time you get to military press, you're likely not going to be able to continue this workout with any meaningful weight

This is my regular routine.
    Tues - A
    Thursday - B
    Sunday - C

One point in my life it was

M/T/W - A/B/C
    then
    T/F/S - A/B/C

Honestly right now im on party mode. So basically a routine that I can cycle in to let me be human and screw around when I want to. I just want to have fun right now. Then ill cycle my reg routine when I want to kick some a$$.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart1776 View Post
    I am a huge fan of full body workouts completed every 72 hours, I do mine push, pull, legs, and then switch over to shoulders, bis, tris, traps, forearms, and calves, all super-sets for the most part as long as there is no crossover of secondary muscles. 9 sets for every body part per workout except for legs which get 12 since they recover better than any of my other body parts.

I do 125 carbs, 50 protein, and 18 fat, 90 minutes before the workout so that my stomach is empty by the time I get to the gym. I do an intro workout carb intake of 50 grams with EAAs added in, in order for my bodies insulin spikes to prevent muscle protein break down during the long workout. The workout usually takes 2.5 hours give or take, but some days I push the intensity a bit to much and finish in under 2 hours so usually next workout I have to ease up a bit and take extra recovery time between sets so that I don't build up a recovery deficit which happens to me when I push things a bit to much and don't recover fully before the next workout. For me the first few working set will tell me if I need to ease up or not, if they feel heavier then they did last workout, I drop the weight down a peg for the next two sets of the exercise. (Almost like mini in built de-loads). For progression, I like to add an extra rep every time I'm still feeling good at the current last rep of the set, works great since I'm only pushing forward when my body is feeling ready for it. After workout nutrition is 70 grams of protein and around 150 carbs in the two hour window post workout split between twp fast digesting meals.

I am going to try a 4 day split for a bit quite soon, but I really love this style of doing things and will switch right back to it in unless another way of training I try blows the results out of the water.
    wow thanks man. Lots of good info. I never knew about recovery deficit. Alot of the content you mentioned i need to incorporate into my nutrition and routine. Its almost like your pyschic lol!

17. Quote Originally Posted by Whey View Post
    wow thanks man. Lots of good info. I never knew about recovery deficit. Alot of the content you mentioned i need to incorporate into my nutrition and routine. Its almost like your pyschic lol!
    Recovery defeict is a term I made up to describe a scenario when one moves more hastinly between sets relative to their standardised pace. For example say you normally rest 120 seconds between sets and have done so for the past couple workouts.

Now lets say that one day you are in a rush and you (decided to/accidently due to the time pressure) reduced
    your rest between sets to 90 seconds instead. Say during the compressed workout you lifted the same weight and reps as you did on your last workout. Great? Well, that depends on how much the nominal reps were actually more difficult due to the greater muscle fatigue from the shorter rest periods between sets. For me this sudden jump of workout intensity is more than my body will be able to recover from before the next training session, but I wouldn't know that until I get in the gym and feel a little off. So after awhile I got in the habit of tracking things such as (reduced rest periods between sets, reduced sleep quality and/or quantity, sub par nutrition, poor self control from to much stim use (workout was to intense to recover from in 72 hours) etc. And then taking note when some of those recovery impairing factors were present. And I'd give a point for each present factor(a mental one in ny head)and reduce the volume and or weight of my sets that day so that my lifts don't stall on the subsequent workout from a lack of proper recovery from the first of the 2 workouts. Sorry if it sounds confusing, I have a funny way of remembering things and before long I adapt my own terminology to describe basic concepts that learned else-where from places I can't remember.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart1776 View Post
    Recovery defeict is a term I made up to describe a scenario when one moves more hastinly between sets relative to their standardised pace. For example say you normally rest 120 seconds between sets and have done so for the past couple workouts.

Now lets say that one day you are in a rush and you (decided to/accidently due to the time pressure) reduced
    your rest between sets to 90 seconds instead. Say during the compressed workout you lifted the same weight and reps as you did on your last workout. Great? Well, that depends on how much the nominal reps were actually more difficult due to the greater muscle fatigue from the shorter rest periods between sets. For me this sudden jump of workout intensity is more than my body will be able to recover from before the next training session, but I wouldn't know that until I get in the gym and feel a little off. So after awhile I got in the habit of tracking things such as (reduced rest periods between sets, reduced sleep quality and/or quantity, sub par nutrition, poor self control from to much stim use (workout was to intense to recover from in 72 hours) etc. And then taking note when some of those recovery impairing factors were present. And I'd give a point for each present factor(a mental one in ny head)and reduce the volume and or weight of my sets that day so that my lifts don't stall on the subsequent workout from a lack of proper recovery from the first of the 2 workouts. Sorry if it sounds confusing, I have a funny way of remembering things and before long I adapt my own terminology to describe basic concepts that learned else-where from places I can't remember.
    LOL I get it! Makes sense I do the same s***. Ive been rushing pushing with my reg routine all year. Im a little turned off, so im changing it up so I don't slip into a party frenzie. Im pretty sure im in a big time recovery deficit. Usually by summer I slip hard but I didn't this year. That was hard because the weather this summer was awesome.

Im pretty sure my full body routine is not as intense as yours, but im happy at this pace this cycle is going for now. Ill prolly do it for maybe 8-12 weeks then do something more challenging.

19. My Full Body V1.2

Anything I should add/takeaway/change so its balanced?

Would it still be balanced if I ditch 1 set of bench press and 1 set of Preacher curls?

20. You can use different rep range in different days and/or different exercises. And too many sets for biceps compared to other body parts.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Whey View Post
    My Full Body V1.2

Anything I should add/takeaway/change so its balanced?

Would it still be balanced if I ditch 1 set of bench press and 1 set of Preacher curls?
    Unless you have long arms I personally don’t think you need curls in there at all. Normal limbed lifters will get enough bicep stimulation from rows, chins, pull ups etc. You can also throw in a few sets for the pump if you have time but I wouldn’t plan them into the routine (same with calf raises btw - pointless in the context of this type of training)

Just my opinion but you are massively over complicating this.

What are your goals? Size? Strength? Solid combination of both? Improved aesthetics?

For any of those I think you’d be better just focusing on hitting 3-5 sets with 5-8 reps (less for pure strength) of the big compounds (squat, deadlift, bench, military press, pull ups/chins, dips - in that order of importance), hitting 3 of them properly on each session, just focus on progressively overloading the weight in those lifts and throw in 2-3 sets of accessory work with higher reps for areas you feel are weak or need focus at the end.

22. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    Unless you have long arms I personally don’t think you need curls in there at all. Normal limbed lifters will get enough bicep stimulation from rows, chins, pull ups etc. You can also throw in a few sets for the pump if you have time but I wouldn’t plan them into the routine (same with calf raises btw - pointless in the context of this type of training)

Just my opinion but you are massively over complicating this.

What are your goals? Size? Strength? Solid combination of both? Improved aesthetics?

For any of those I think you’d be better just focusing on hitting 3-5 sets with 5-8 reps (less for pure strength) of the big compounds (squat, deadlift, bench, military press, pull ups/chins, dips - in that order of importance), hitting 3 of them properly on each session, just focus on progressively overloading the weight in those lifts and throw in 2-3 sets of accessory work with higher reps for areas you feel are weak or need focus at the end.
    Muscle Hypertrophy

23. Quote Originally Posted by Whey View Post
    Muscle Hypertrophy
    If pure bodybuilding style hyperthropy is your goal and you’re natty then 3 day a week training isn’t optimal imo anyway

But

The heavy compounds will lead to greater increase of natural test and therefore lead to greater muscle growth so I stick by my previous post. I would aim for 8 reps rather than 5 though.....

24. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    If pure bodybuilding style hyperthropy is your goal and you’re natty then 3 day a week training isn’t optimal imo anyway

But

The heavy compounds will lead to greater increase of natural test and therefore lead to greater muscle growth so I stick by my previous post. I would aim for 8 reps rather than 5 though.....
    Actually im looking at all the 3 - Prioritize in this sequence- Muscle Hypertrophy, Anesthetics, Strength. Ok im just looking at my routine. I still like the isolations for the Anesthetics prolly should do 4 days a week at min and 10 reps to maintain endurance. I just want a routine to cycle down and have more time for life

25. Quote Originally Posted by Whey View Post
    Your right what do you suggest?

I did add leg curls earlier only because a coworker looked at my program said i wasnt doing enough.

So looks like this now.

So 3 sets legs, 2 sets calves, or should i just ditch the hammer curls and do forearms, what do you suggest?
    You could just add more sets of squats. I used to do 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of stiff leg deadlifts 3x week and made a lot of progress for about 6 months straight.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Full Body Routine or 5x5 Training
    By MAxximal in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 08:51 AM
  2. How does this Full Body Routine look?
    By Shoota in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM
  3. full body routines to start every workout?
    By Rjp in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM
  4. My 3 day full body routine. Thoughts?
    By hitsquaddd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 09:43 AM
  5. My full-body routine, based on my stats, need some input guys
    By StellaArtois in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 01:09 PM