How to fix lower back. left side, hip area

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
There is a piercing pain that I thought originated in my mid glute and pulled up my lower back on the left hand side around where I feel the bone ending. this picture I grabbed off the internet just to show the location. It's right where his pointer finger is touching.

causes-of-left-lower-back-pain.jpg

I have been to doctors, massage therapists, chiro, and physical therapy. the only person who said anything that made sense to me was the PT who said "Yes I believe you had a very real injury, but I think its gone now and you have to work through the pain due to over sensitive pain receptors".

So I have done that. It started in January 2016 and I couldn't look behind me when driving and had to brace for sneezes. My squats and deads fell from 320 and 450 to 95 and 135 and even those numbers made me want to vomit from pain.

today my squats are back to 335 for training sets and my deads I think I hit 245 or 265 for 10 (they've never been lopsided before).

I low bar squat and I can maintain great form until about 275. at 300+ I can squat but they aren't legally deep enough and my form changes a little I think from dodging pain.

If I do pistol squats I notice I have full strength on the right leg and can slam out ten+ no problem. the left leg I can do them, but they are much harder as I am clearly weaker on that side.

When I get into a deadlift pull position, I have a hard time getting a good back position without irritating this spot. When I start the pull, it hurts.

I do believe that it's partially neurological. the left side weakness is real, but the pain..might not be. somedays its there, sometimes it's not. It may hurt on the first rep of a 5 or 10 rep set, but not the subsequent reps. for a while I found myself doing a 1/3 squat on the first of a 5 rep set, then deeper and deeper each rep in that set. its like my brain needed the confidence to go through the pain point.

Some banded mobility work seems to be helping my squat. I'm going to experiment with a narrower deadlift stance today since sumos seem to be worse. BUT does anyone have any banded mobility suggestions I can do for warm ups today that are deadlift specific?

a part of me thinks/wonders/hopes that maybe some very deadlift specific flexibility/mobility work could help me finally build through this garbage.

I'm not even 100% certain how to identify the pains location. I just know it's left side of my lower back, at the top of where I feel bone. I believe it's the top rounded portion of the hip bone, back on the lower left back.

mostly when people say hip pain I imagine it to their sides or sockets, or illiac or something. Mine is lower back, it's definitely behind me, just above where my belt lies on my pants, to the left....

thanks for any suggestions you guys have. been working through this thing for nearly 3 years and I'm super proud of my squat progression. just need to get deads there.

a year ago I couldn't even press or push press heavy without back pain. I'm getting so close to recovery I can taste it.

B

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Reverve Ham string machine with the exercise done right will make this problem disappear.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
It's the QL

Follow this:
[video=youtube;eixkcrX_Qh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eixkcrX_Qh8[/video]

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It's the QL

Follow this:
[video=youtube;eixkcrX_Qh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eixkcrX_Qh8[/video]
crazy, I was just finding info on the QL yesterday and working on that. thanks for the extra video!!