Genetics play major role in a physique. Training only goes so far.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
NavySeals3.jpg

Here we have 4 Navy seals. As some of you may know, you cannot get accepted to navy seal training unless you are in certain condition mentally and physically. They only take in the ELITE of our military forces. As you look at each man in this photo, you can see they all have different physiques and not all look the same. All these men workout on a daily basis, intensely. But as you can see their bodies muscular structure is different, and each and every one of them holds onto things like water differently. This all comes down to genetics and there is no way possible any of these guys would have the same muscular structure and development no matter what type of training they put themselves through. Same workouts, same diet would still not be able to cause them all to look the same

I just wanted to post about this because unfortunately I see many guys out there who think its possible to look like so and so, when in fact you have no control over how you look. SO many fall into the trap of comparing themselves to what they see in magazines, when in fact It all comes down to genetics. If you do not have the same muscular structure genetically as someone else, there is no way you are going to look like them. You can try and try and try, then get frustrated and discouraged. You can only work with what you have been given from GOD himself and then do your best to improve your own physique.

Your thoughts and opinions please.

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have a 21 year old that is currently working for me now. He is leaving in October for the seal training. This kids iq is through the roof. He is constantly training, running, swimming etc...I called him out after being in a mulch job for 2 days working like a dog. I challenged him to a 60 sec push up contest with a retired marine as our time keeper and counter. The marine is another employee of mine. I landed 70 qualifying push ups, the young seal landed 78. Hey, I'm 38...I was happy as hell. Not much to do with your post, just thought I would share....

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
I have a 21 year old that is currently working for me now. He is leaving in October for the seal training. This kids iq is through the roof. He is constantly training, running, swimming etc...I called him out after being in a mulch job for 2 days working like a dog. I challenged him to a 60 sec push up contest with a retired marine as our time keeper and counter. The marine is another employee of mine. I landed 70 qualifying push ups, the young seal landed 78. Hey, I'm 38...I was happy as hell. Not much to do with your post, just thought I would share....
Bossman thanks for the reply! Not a problem at all as I appreciate your feedback.

The reason for my post was simply carried out today because like I mentioned before I see so many guys and girls out there getting discouraged. Instead of focusing on improving their own physique to the best of their ability and with the genetics they have been given, they get caught up trying to look like their favorite pro or some fitness model in a magazine. That is not realistic and it always leads to them getting discouraged and forcing some to quit. People need to just take it day by day, eat a good diet with proper training, a good balance of living life, and enjoy working out for what it is. Which is living a healthy lifestyle and being the best YOU can be.

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes they do but too many guys give up early. I'm confident anybody can have a good build with work. I find it crazy when I see guys tAkeing steroids that look like they don't even lift. Also as far as being lean... Anybody can do that. Guys that say they can't are not dieting hard enough. Your point is Good and most won't have the shape to be on a magazine. But compared to general population it is not hard to stand out.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Yes they do but too many guys give up early. I'm confident anybody can have a good build with work. I find it crazy when I see guys tAkeing steroids that look like they don't even lift. Also as far as being lean... Anybody can do that. Guys that say they can't are not dieting hard enough. Your point is Good and most won't have the shape to be on a magazine. But compared to general population it is not hard to stand out.
I agree 100%

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I agree 125 percent that Genetics play a Major role when it comes to a person trying to look like another person and both having different Genetics and Backgrounds. I believe that one should accept their body type,Genetics,and create their on Bodybuilding Foundation of Art.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Rather than trying to look like someone else I personally believe it’s better to try and achieve what that aspirational look actually means.......

To explain, if you look at a big 300lb dude who looks like a tank it’s not actually looking like him most people want, it’s the fact he looks like a tank, so you push towards making yourself look like a big strong sidewalk cracking muther fcuker. You’ll look physically different but the end result of what the look achieves is the same.

Same if you see a physique model, your aim should be to develop your version of a ripped model physique.

Personally I admire people where I can see they’ve worked hard for their look, I aim to have a look that says ‘yeah that guys in shape, I’d like to look like that’

bruno.camilo

bruno.camilo

Awards
  • Established
Well, dunno.

If u check on Mr. Olympia competitors for example, they all look almost the same, with some having bigger muscles here or there.

So i believe that Training, Diet and Roids, can almost change a genetic stereotype\physique.

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The Olympia competitors would be the biggest guy in your local gyms if he never juiced that is genetics. Same as if no one juiced in bodybuilding the same guy would win, unfortunately they all need to juice because this guy and that guy does.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, dunno.

If u check on Mr. Olympia competitors for example, they all look almost the same, with some having bigger muscles here or there.

So i believe that Training, Diet and Roids, can almost change a genetic stereotype\physique.
Most people who make it to the Olympia arguably have top-tier genetics to begin with. Also, today’s pros may look very similar, but old-school bodybuilders had VERY different looking physiques. Arnold, Franco, Ferrigno, Zane, Nubret, or even Oliva before them and Haney after them all looked quite different. I’d say that most people who follow/followed them could easily and quickly tell all of them apart if you didn’t see their heads or skin color etc.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Most people who make it to the Olympia arguably have top-tier genetics to begin with. Also, today’s pros may look very similar, but old-school bodybuilders had VERY different looking physiques. Arnold, Franco, Ferrigno, Zane, Nubret, or even Oliva before them and Haney after them all looked quite different. I’d say that most people who follow/followed them could easily and quickly tell all of them apart if you didn’t see their heads or skin color etc.
Good post! Dorian Yates deadlifted over 500 pounds when he was just a teen. His bench was easily over 300 as a 15 year old. Genetics were a gift he received from God way before he started juicing.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No amount of steroids will override short muscle bellies.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, dunno.

I'm sorry but they do not all look the same. I know what you mean, but you can cleary see some have certain genetic gifts as opposed to others. Roelly and Cedric have vastly different physiques. Dexter and Phil, same thing. Pretty much Phill and everyone else are vastly different. They are all huge, but still have distinct looks to them

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Physique as in optical perception to proportions:
I have narrow hips and long torso and legs. The V look is pronounced due to the narrow hips. For some reason, getting ripped is easy. Six pack is easy. Genetically handsome legs.

I call it the beach bum body. AARP style. hahahah

I think it is a melding of genetics and training. I do a great deal of outdoors boot camp, combined with weights has developed muscles here and there which make them pronounced.

I appear much much stronger than what I am.

BTW, if you look at other nations SF they do not go for the burly muscle bound USA approach. Or so I have been told by a former RN Marine. I forget what they call their SF. commandos?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 169058

Here we have 4 Navy seals. As some of you may know, you cannot get accepted to navy seal training unless you are in certain condition mentally and physically. They only take in the ELITE of our military forces. As you look at each man in this photo, you can see they all have different physiques and not all look the same. All these men workout on a daily basis, intensely. But as you can see their bodies muscular structure is different, and each and every one of them holds onto things like water differently. This all comes down to genetics and there is no way possible any of these guys would have the same muscular structure and development no matter what type of training they put themselves through. Same workouts, same diet would still not be able to cause them all to look the same

I just wanted to post about this because unfortunately I see many guys out there who think its possible to look like so and so, when in fact you have no control over how you look. SO many fall into the trap of comparing themselves to what they see in magazines, when in fact It all comes down to genetics. If you do not have the same muscular structure genetically as someone else, there is no way you are going to look like them. You can try and try and try, then get frustrated and discouraged. You can only work with what you have been given from GOD himself and then do your best to improve your own physique.

Your thoughts and opinions please.
Genetics definitely play a role but this picture doesn't tell us what these guys eat or what their training looks like. For all we know the thick brown haired guy in the middle might spend more of his time with a power lifting or bodybuilding type routine during his personal training while the guy on the far right enjoys running.

they may all do SEAL specific training, running/swimming/etc but we don't know what any of them do on their personal time or how they eat.

A key thing I have noticed about genetics in fitness and physique is very much chicken and the egg. Have you ever noticed how people who look like runners tend to gravitate to running based sports, and guys that look like lifters tend to gravitate to lifting based sports?

My little brother played soccer for years and was always a tall lanky guy. Once he discovered lifting he suddenly was a 6'3" 225lb totally yoked monster of a man. His eating and training changed his physique dramatically.

When I ran 5ks mostly, I weighed 168. When I lifted mostly, I was a decently lean 198.

Now that I do a somewhat crossfitty type methodology with a major emphasis on strength, I'm right in the middle with a weight of 184ish and fairly lean. so I still think training and nutrition play a very strong role and genetics can't be given too much weight.

like this guy:

eI0FWwK.png

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
BTW, if you look at other nations SF they do not go for the burly muscle bound USA approach. Or so I have been told by a former RN Marine. I forget what they call their SF. commandos?
Well there is a lot of sense to that as well, though. What type of functional fitness does a SEAL need more of? The ability to deadlift 1200lbs one time, or the ability to do something similar to 100 pull ups and swim 5 miles? Fitness, physique, strength, it comes in many different shapes and sizes.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
P
Marines? They have Force Recon and Raiders, aka MARSOC.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Marines? They have Force Recon and Raiders, aka MARSOC.
When I enlisted in the Marine's my dream was to be part of RECON. My eye sight wouldn't allow me to pass the tests they required though.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
When I enlisted in the Marine's my dream was to be part of RECON. My eye sight wouldn't allow me to pass the tests they required though.
Force Recon is hardcore. Every bit as prestigious as the SEALS, but they operate out of the limelight. The training lasts almost twice as long, too. Youve gotta be a special breed to make it onto that unit.