Rear delt training

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Rear delt training


    Since most peoples rear delts lack compared to their front and sides what do you guys do.

    I start with rear delts as weak point training while i have the most energy. I warm up then lay chest down on an incline bench use light weight to really only use my rear delt strict 4 sets 16,14.12,10
    Then with cables i use my right hand to grab the left handle left hand to the right handle and cross then straight out in front of my chest focused on mind and muscle connection.
    3rd reverse pec deck 4 sets
    As a finisher i get 2 10lb plates sit at the edge on the beach and bang out 3 sets of 50 as a burn out.


  2. Try more compound lifts.. like light squat into behind the neck push press..
    •   
       


  3. Reverse Pec deck machine.
    Rear delt machine.
    Standing cable reverse fly.
    One-arm bent-over cable lateral raise.
    Bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
    Incline bench bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
    Head-supported bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
    Seated bent-over lateral raise.
    -Chaos and Pain Rep -
    www.chaosandpain.com

  4. I do mentioned above also a little bit of face pulls and up right rows mid grip and at the top pull back towards my neck. Seems to hit them pretty well.

  5. I need to try it thanks
    •   
       


  6. Incline bench chest down dumbbell rear delt raises
    I mean if you really hate your balls, go for it. But, what did they do to you?

  7. I try and stay away from any movement behind the neck

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I need to try it thanks
    Also bent over lateral raises with the cables. Individually. I like cables for this because the tension is always there.

  9. You can't really train them in the stretched position or to failure so I just go for the biggest pump possible. I also do heavy pulling, rows and pulldowns etc - I'm talking isolation exercises here.

    I really like face pulls. I sit on a bench when I do them which lets you use a lot more weight
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html

  10. Quote Originally Posted by BloodManor View Post
    Reverse Pec deck machine.
    Rear delt machine.
    Standing cable reverse fly.
    One-arm bent-over cable lateral raise.
    Bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
    Incline bench bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
    Head-supported bent-over dumbbell lateral raise.
    Seated bent-over lateral raise.
    All these are great, I usually do one of these for 4 sets of 10-12 before my pressing workouts, it helps with my shoulder health. Also on back day I will throw some in usually. I like to hold the contraction for a second or two at the top of the movement for every rep and control the weight. This really helps me connect my mind to muscle and actually feel it. This is a hard muscle group to actually feel. Also I think face pulls with the rope attachment or a light band works really well. Still holding that 1 second contraction. I got a lot of this from doing mountaindog programs and my rear delts have really came up alot.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by AlexPowell View Post
    You can't really train them in the stretched position or to failure so I just go for the biggest pump possible.
    Sure you can, heavy swing partials supporting your chest on the incline bench. Those are brutal

  12. Quote Originally Posted by EMPIREMIND View Post
    Sure you can, heavy swing partials supporting your chest on the incline bench. Those are brutal
    Feels so good. I like to finish out drop setting until the 10s even feel like 100s.

    Then I do wall spider crawls with a band.
    Performax Labs Product Specialist
    Like Us On Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/PmaxLabs
    Visit our site at www.performaxlabs.com

  13. Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan815 View Post
    Feels so good. I like to finish out drop setting until the 10s even feel like 100s.

    Then I do wall spider crawls with a band.
    Yeah bro straight nasty
  14. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar

    The problem with rear delts is most clients (whom I have trained, trained with, or work with) don't get proper mind muscle connection. I would highly suggest a few things to help improve your rear delts.

    1 - Put them first in your shoulder training
    2 - Find exercises that give the best MMC
    3 - Attack them from a fully stretched position
    4 - Eliminate extra momentum
    5 - Use Iso-Tension with a partner

    A quick shoulder routine that I like to throw together for my clients
    Rear Delt Cable Extensions or HS Rear Delt --> work up to a good set of 20/30 with isotension or drop set
    DB Laterals or Front Raises (Medial/Side Delt)
    HS Press or Smith Press (bring bar right to your chin and back up)

    First engage the rear delts, then there is carry over from the other exercises which will stimulate them to a degree. Anyone can do an isolation for them but the premise is stimulation and proper form. Most people you see do rear delts either extend too far (HS/Cables) or use way too much momentum or "Swing" the weight. It is never in a controlled manner which is why they are so hard to engage.

    People need to realize if you drop your ego and focus on feeling the muscle work you will see it grow (given proper nutrition, rest, and training). But then again most gym goers are there to number chase.
    Anabolic Minds Site Rep
    www.anabolicminds.com

  15. I do reverse pec deck, changing grips and THAT (but with lower weight and way better form -only the arm moves, nothing else!)

    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    The problem with rear delts is most clients (whom I have trained, trained with, or work with) don't get proper mind muscle connection. I would highly suggest a few things to help improve your rear delts.

    1 - Put them first in your shoulder training
    2 - Find exercises that give the best MMC
    3 - Attack them from a fully stretched position
    4 - Eliminate extra momentum
    5 - Use Iso-Tension with a partner

    A quick shoulder routine that I like to throw together for my clients
    Rear Delt Cable Extensions or HS Rear Delt --> work up to a good set of 20/30 with isotension or drop set
    DB Laterals or Front Raises (Medial/Side Delt)
    HS Press or Smith Press (bring bar right to your chin and back up)

    First engage the rear delts, then there is carry over from the other exercises which will stimulate them to a degree. Anyone can do an isolation for them but the premise is stimulation and proper form. Most people you see do rear delts either extend too far (HS/Cables) or use way too much momentum or "Swing" the weight. It is never in a controlled manner which is why they are so hard to engage.

    People need to realize if you drop your ego and focus on feeling the muscle work you will see it grow (given proper nutrition, rest, and training). But then again most gym goers are there to number chase.
    How do you put the rear delts into the stretched position? Wouldn't this have your arm all the way across your body?
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html

  17. Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    The problem with rear delts is most clients (whom I have trained, trained with, or work with) don't get proper mind muscle connection. I would highly suggest a few things to help improve your rear delts.

    1 - Put them first in your shoulder training
    2 - Find exercises that give the best MMC
    3 - Attack them from a fully stretched position
    4 - Eliminate extra momentum
    5 - Use Iso-Tension with a partner

    A quick shoulder routine that I like to throw together for my clients
    Rear Delt Cable Extensions or HS Rear Delt --> work up to a good set of 20/30 with isotension or drop set
    DB Laterals or Front Raises (Medial/Side Delt)
    HS Press or Smith Press (bring bar right to your chin and back up)

    First engage the rear delts, then there is carry over from the other exercises which will stimulate them to a degree. Anyone can do an isolation for them but the premise is stimulation and proper form. Most people you see do rear delts either extend too far (HS/Cables) or use way too much momentum or "Swing" the weight. It is never in a controlled manner which is why they are so hard to engage.

    People need to realize if you drop your ego and focus on feeling the muscle work you will see it grow (given proper nutrition, rest, and training). But then again most gym goers are there to number chase.
    Nice bro. Great info!

  18. Quote Originally Posted by AlexPowell View Post
    How do you put the rear delts into the stretched position? Wouldn't this have your arm all the way across your body?
    Hanging db swings
  19. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    The Solution's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by EMPIREMIND View Post
    Hanging db swings
    Same with on the HS machine arms are fully stretched forward before beginning the concentric . I like to lean into the pad to prevent momentum (like most donwhen fully seated). Bring back to where rear delt is engaged (pause) and then negative back from the fully stretched position. People usually bring the machine back too far and take the tension off the rear delts and more along their triceps and traps which is a major no no
    Anabolic Minds Site Rep
    www.anabolicminds.com

  20. Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Same with on the HS machine arms are fully stretched forward before beginning the concentric . Bring back to where rear delt is engaged (pause) and then negative back from the fully stretched position.
    That pause has made all the difference for me developing a better mind muscle connection.

  21. Yeah that's what I do, never felt any stretch though
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html

  22. Light weight barbell behind the neck press,and I have been doing them for years now,with no issues.

  23. What I see continuously with people who do rear delts is their range of motion is too much. This is in my opinion the one muscle group where a shorter range of motion helps to directly target the muscle. People who do bent over DB flyes almost always have their shoulders pulled back. The shoulders should be completely rolled over in front of the body and should maintain that rolled forward position throughout the entire movement. In this position you canít bring the dumbbells all the way up if youíre truly targeting your rear delts

  24. Band pull aparts with slightly bent arms and rotated so palms face the ground

  25. Anyone else do the face pulls? I do this on the cable machine with the rope attachment. Sit on a flat bench. Pull either to jaw level or to over the head and externally rotate
    I am a carnivore (diet based exclusively on meat)- Here is my diet and training log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/303950-im-carnivore.html
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. post ur fav rear delt lift
    By Brolic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
  2. Best for rear delt mass?
    By handzilla in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 12:41 AM
  3. Chest and Delts - Train Separately or together
    By LunaHotel in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
  4. Rear Delt
    By jbono731 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 04:06 PM
  5. Rear Delt exercises (Posterior)
    By JonesersRX7 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 03:37 AM
Log in
Log in