Full deads or rack pulls

Country

Awards
I used to do full dead lifts but the the last yr i switched to rack pulls and have gained much more. What do u guys perfer and why

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Squats. Deads aggravate a lower back injury. I've heard good things about rack pulls so may give them a go in future.

Country

Awards
Ull notice a difference 4sure i csn focus more on my back better

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do both. When I hurt my legs and couldn't do much for legs full deads helped me keep more leg size my squatting down and pulling up.

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Both have a place

I prefer rack pulls on back day either at the start(after warm ups-pull ups)

Or at the end to finish the workout off

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Rack pulls for back, flexing the back the entire time isometrically
Deadlifts for hamstrings and glutes

Pride89

Pride89

Awards
  • Established
I like the rack pulls better, i do very low rack, so its kinda in the middle, between deads and rack

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rack pulls for back, flexing the back the entire time isometrically
Deadlifts for hamstrings and glutes
Dead’s or stiff dead’s? Or both?!

I like doing stiff with toes elevated slightly
I saw it on Instagram and thought I’d try it adds a nice twist to it

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Dead’s or stiff dead’s? Or both?!

I like doing stiff with toes elevated slightly
I saw it on Instagram and thought I’d try it adds a nice twist to it
Both are fine
Try doing the stiff legged deadlifts with a band adding resistance

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Agree with DEVANS89 and AlexPowell here. Assuming no injury/mobility issues pulling from the floor, both have a place.

Rack pulls obviously allow you to load heavier, great for lock out, grip (assuming no straps) etc

I like to follow full deads with lighter rdls and pull throughs to really smash hammies and glutes.

Such a great lift

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do rack pulls, deadlifts, and stiff legged deadlifts, but not all three every week.

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just do a giant set of all 3, not only will you look alpha you will actually transform into the hulk

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you do deadlifts then rack pulls are cool.
I wouldn't just rack pull though

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
When I was plateauing on deads I mixed it up a lot. I basically had a 3 week cycle on deads.
week 1 might be conventional off the floor.
week 2 might be conventional from a deficit
week 3 might be block pulls from around knee high or slightly below.

When plateaued on deads around 435lbs I threw in block pulls and found I could pull 475 for triples. This very quickly broke through my plateau and then I hit 450 conventional from the ground.

long story short, I think they all have their place as a training help. Right now I'm working through a back injury so as I rebuild I am doing volume at lower weight from the ground, and intensity at higher weight from two 45lb bumpers (about 7" blocks).

if you want to get better at dead lifts to compete you need to deadlift from the ground. you gotta train the event you're going to compete in. but accessory lifts like block pulls and deficits, I believe, can help improve the lift.

I use the same approach to overhead press. I want to build my press more than my bench, but I have a heavy bench day once a week to compliment and build my overhead press.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
When I was plateauing on deads I mixed it up a lot. I basically had a 3 week cycle on deads.
week 1 might be conventional off the floor.
week 2 might be conventional from a deficit
week 3 might be block pulls from around knee high or slightly below.

When plateaued on deads around 435lbs I threw in block pulls and found I could pull 475 for triples. This very quickly broke through my plateau and then I hit 450 conventional from the ground.

long story short, I think they all have their place as a training help. Right now I'm working through a back injury so as I rebuild I am doing volume at lower weight from the ground, and intensity at higher weight from two 45lb bumpers (about 7" blocks).

if you want to get better at dead lifts to compete you need to deadlift from the ground. you gotta train the event you're going to compete in. but accessory lifts like block pulls and deficits, I believe, can help improve the lift.

I use the same approach to overhead press. I want to build my press more than my bench, but I have a heavy bench day once a week to compliment and build my overhead press.
Definitely worth blocking the number you want to ultimately pull from the floor, I’ve done that and slowly lowered the blocks every couple of weeks.....

Not too dissimilar to a top powerlifter (I forget which one) who broke some squat state record by starting simply lifting the weight off the hooks, then stepping back with it and holding for a few secs, then lowering a few inches before coming back up etc

K3flex

K3flex

Awards
If I'm doing a push pull split I do deads to activate the legs after rest day and 2 days before leg day. If I'm doing legs, chest, back, shoulders, legs I do rack pulls.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have been doing conventional deads for years, but after a while I've learned what works best for me. Now I stilI do alot of dead variations, but with more focus on what I'm training. What I've personally found is this:

For hypertrophy and back development rack pulls from knee height or just below knee, widen the grip and keep lats tight throughout the movement. Then at the top contract your lats and hold for second or two. I pull each rep from a dead stop, usually sets of 5-8

For legs I now do RDLs and Stiff Leg Deads. I don't come all the way up, keeping tension on the hamstrings. Usually sets from 5-8

Another thing I've been playing with is snatch grips. From the floor snatch grip really hits your legs hard and mid back. Froma rack pull they really hit mid upper and traps hard. Traps more than anything.

All in all I usually will do some variation once or twice a week. Usually the rack deads for back and RDLs for legs. I find this really works well for me.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For hypertrophy and back development rack pulls from knee height or just below knee, widen the grip and keep lats tight throughout the movement. Then at the top contract your lats and hold for second or two. I pull each rep from a dead stop, usually sets of 5-8

For legs I now do RDLs and Stiff Leg Deads. I don't come all the way up, keeping tension on the hamstrings. Usually sets from 5-8
Why a wide grip on rack deads? what advantage does this have over regular grip?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Why a wide grip on rack deads? what advantage does this have over regular grip?
Mechanically it opens your lats up more. Not too wide, but I find about an inch on each side wider than shoulder width allows me to keep my lats almost flexed on the way up, and then able to contract at the top. There is a video of Phil Viz and Nick trigilli on you tube where Phil explains it in more detail. It works very well for me.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Here it goes:

[video]https://youtu.be/x6ueDyZMrkE[/video]

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mechanically it opens your lats up more. Not too wide, but I find about an inch on each side wider than shoulder width allows me to keep my lats almost flexed on the way up, and then able to contract at the top. There is a video of Phil Viz and Nick trigilli on you tube where Phil explains it in more detail. It works very well for me.
cool, will have to try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ueDyZMrkE

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
John Meadows covers it perfectly

[video=youtube;djJXkEnysDI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djJXkEnysDI[/video]

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright. Ill run some after reads and access pump and soreness.

warriorscode8

warriorscode8

Awards
  • Established
I do push pull legs 3 days on one off. So one pull day is rack pulls one is deads. I would never eliminate reads as they are my favorite but rack pulls are fun and definitely blow your back up