Elbow pain and triceps

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Whenever I do overhead triceps extensions my elbows start hurting. I spoke with a physician and he said that the aching is in a ligament/muscle/tendon (it was in a different language) that runs from the elbow to the shoulder. This sounds like the triceps’ longhead.
Has anyone experienced his before? Could anyone recommend any methods for alleviating the pain or for hitting the long head of the triceps?

SDPonce63

SDPonce63

Awards
  • Established
Whenever I do overhead triceps extensions my elbows start hurting. I spoke with a physician and he said that the aching is in a ligament/muscle/tendon (it was in a different language) that runs from the elbow to the shoulder. This sounds like the triceps’ longhead.
Has anyone experienced his before? Could anyone recommend any methods for alleviating the pain or for hitting the long head of the triceps?
I work the long head of the tricep pretty hard. However, I have never experienced any pain from it. I would seek further medical advice to get treatment.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Have you tried playing with your form to adjust the movement? Sometimes tweaking little things can make a substantial difference.

SDPonce63

SDPonce63

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried playing with your form to adjust the movement? Sometimes tweaking little things can make a substantial difference.
Good point here. Make sure your movements are slow and controlled. TIME UNDER TENSION builds muscle.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good point here. Make sure your movements are slow and controlled. TIME UNDER TENSION builds muscle.
Not only that, but elbows in tight vs being flared- like in dips- makes a huge difference. And it doesn’t feel the same for everyone, so it’s really important to find the sweet spot *for you* to be able to perform the exercise comfortably/safely.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not only that, but elbows in tight vs being flared- like in dips- makes a huge difference. And it doesn’t feel the same for everyone, so it’s really important to find the sweet spot *for you* to be able to perform the exercise comfortably/safely.
Is keeping the elbows tight or letting them flare out usually better for tricep work?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Is keeping the elbows tight or letting them flare out usually better for tricep work?
Try both and see what feels better for you. With dips, you’ll hear people say to keep elbows in tight to focus on tri’s, but they can’t be in too tight as it just won’t feel natural. Naturally, your elbows need to flare out a little. How much? That’ll take trial and error for you to figure what feels best for you. Everybody’s joints are a tad different so you really just need to play with it and see which way feels best.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you cannot do one or two movements because of joint pain and it takes your focus off the muscle, use another movement. You may have an acute tennis or golf elbow as well. One thing you can do is take a gold or lacrosse ball and roll it on your forearms, especially around the elbow area. Also, do the stretches in the photos in the link. I do them everyday, but I do them on the ground to get a deeper stretch.

http://nicros.com/training/training-articles/essential-forearm-stretches/

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
eat onions for bone strength or bone broth? or gelatin with vitamin c may help

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
You've most likely been letting your rib cage flare upwards on this exercise which is a common fault
When the body has no stability, it will make stability by tightening everything. When you do the exercise, you should have your rib cage down like you're going to throw or take a punch. Then do the exercise. I see a lot of people flare the rib cage up on this exercise to get more ROM / stretch - but it is obviously not the triceps stretching here

Take a break from the movement for about a month and do something else, then go back to it

Country

Awards
Leave it alone i had a similar issue tried working around it ended up out of the gym 2 monthd

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Elbow pain for triceps.... Absolutely. Comes and goes, but you need to stop doing anything that bothers it. I am constantly working around some nagging pain here and there but elbows are notorious with tricep work, especially skull crushers and similar extension excersizes. I really like overhead extensions with the rope, really can get a stretch and hits the long head hard!