*sigh* need your help again guys; Reverse grip bench form

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay, so I have switched to reverse grip bench and I need tips to prevent wrist pain and bending, especially because I have past wrist injury. I can't do regular bench, because it hurts my shoulders. I don't have the money now for a swiss bar and trying to use dumbbells is too much of a pain since I have adjustable dumbbells and don't have a flat part to rest on my thigh and thus it always wants to slide out of my hand.
Anyway, here are my issues:
1. bending the wrist too much
2. only being able to go the distance as if it were a floor press
3. one arm being higher than the other
The weight doesn't matter. Low weight and heavy, I can only go so low.
Attaching videos soon. Youtube is taking forever since Comcast nerfed upload speed

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[video=youtube;T6mW8oc_GnM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6mW8oc_GnM&feature=youtu.be[/video]
[video=youtube;l4C7rYQZPIo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4C7rYQZPIo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Definitely looking like your quarter repping the reverse grip

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely looking like your quarter repping the reverse grip
I know. Like I said, I'm going down to the depth I would on floor press. I've been doing shoulder stretches, but can't go lower. With an empty bar I can MAYBE get an inch lower, but that's it.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I know. Like I said, I'm going down to the depth I would on floor press. I've been doing shoulder stretches, but can't go lower. With an empty bar I can MAYBE get an inch lower, but that's it.
Weird

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Try with much lighter weight, that looks way too heavy for you

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The elbow sleeves are limiting your range of motion. You CAN go lower. Widen your grip a bit more and use just the barbell to get a feel for it. Another option is to use dumbbells. Another option is to not do reverse grip And just go back to regular bench. If none of these are possible then it’s time to see someone who can fix your physical problems that are preventing you from doing these movements. Do push-ups

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
What is the goal here? Are you just trying to get stronger or are you trying to hypertrophy some specific muscle?

Here is a video of me from 4 years ago - I had a bad shoulder during this time as well and you can see the correct reverse grip technique
[video=youtube;NMNaCcjOfrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMNaCcjOfrY[/video]

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is the goal here? Are you just trying to get stronger or are you trying to hypertrophy some specific muscle?

Here is a video of me from 4 years ago - I had a bad shoulder during this time as well and you can see the correct reverse grip technique
[video=youtube;NMNaCcjOfrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMNaCcjOfrY[/video]
Strength, fat loss and muscle growth. I know I won't gain muscle while loosing fat. Mostly I want to jsut get a little bigger and drop a good percent of body fat. A little bigger meaning an inch increase in arms, forearms and shoulders and about a 2-3 inch increase in chest if chest was lean, so probably more of a 5 inch increase. Legs and hips are big enough, even if I lost a bit of size.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Strength, fat loss and muscle growth. I know I won't gain muscle while loosing fat. Mostly I want to jsut get a little bigger and drop a good percent of body fat. A little bigger meaning an inch increase in arms, forearms and shoulders and about a 2-3 inch increase in chest if chest was lean, so probably more of a 5 inch increase. Legs and hips are big enough, even if I lost a bit of size.
As mentioned, create a log in the training log forum, tag me in it and I'll start helping you

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Okay, so I have switched to reverse grip bench and I need tips to prevent wrist pain and bending, especially because I have past wrist injury. I can't do regular bench, because it hurts my shoulders. I don't have the money now for a swiss bar and trying to use dumbbells is too much of a pain since I have adjustable dumbbells and don't have a flat part to rest on my thigh and thus it always wants to slide out of my hand.
Anyway, here are my issues:
1. bending the wrist too much
2. only being able to go the distance as if it were a floor press
3. one arm being higher than the other
The weight doesn't matter. Low weight and heavy, I can only go so low.
Attaching videos soon. Youtube is taking forever since Comcast nerfed upload speed
To be honest bro the reverse grip bench isn’t helping you achieve anything, mobility and the sleeves are limiting the ROM so much it’s fairly pointless.

Personally I’d look at a slingshot on regular bench if Shoulders an issue and Swiss bar not an option......

As above regular ole press ups are way better than what you are doing now.

Also try single arm dB bench press, you have an extra hand to help in set up and you’ll get more core activation as a bonus....

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[video]https://youtu.be/c0fhBp0b6UY[/video] Empty Bar
[video]https://youtu.be/vfnWEaqtMbs[/video] 95 pounds
[video]https://youtu.be/-UVY9dZdrUI[/video] 135 pounds
[video]https://youtu.be/fOBGxAUG4Bc[/video] 155 pounds
I'll post a video of me without the sleeves with an empty bar and it's the same depth. I'm still uploading that video and apparently it takes 16 minutes just to upload a simple video on youtube. It's not touching my chest, but it is lower now and about the same depth as with an empty bar, though 50% of reps are slightly above my maximum depth with an empty bar.
[video=youtube;vs4BGGK2hB4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4BGGK2hB4[/video] Empty bar without sleeves on

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
What happens if you just let the bar sink lower?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What happens if you just let the bar sink lower?
It feels unnatural. Even if I stand up and pull my arms back as far as I can, they won't go back any farther. Doing push ups it's the same distance too.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would take off all the wrist wraps and elbow sleeves. I think you might not need to start reverse benching yet.
To me it's kind of advanced is there any reason why you can't just bench press for a year or so.? So you can build up your strength and Mobility

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[video=youtube;TMOCUrN4msI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMOCUrN4msI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube;TMOCUrN4msI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMOCUrN4msI&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Follow this, should free that up nicely for you
[video=youtube;BlV7qeeqf74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlV7qeeqf74[/video]

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Anything I can do alone to help too?
If you get a light resistance band you can do this standing upright, using the band to pull your wrist back and your other hand to hit the trigger points

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you get a light resistance band you can do this standing upright, using the band to pull your wrist back and your other hand to hit the trigger points
Okay, I'll give it a shot thanks.

RugbyBaller91

RugbyBaller91

Awards
Maybe slightly angle the wrist/hand placement but reverse grip is hell on the shoulders so be careful

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe slightly angle the wrist/hand placement but reverse grip is hell on the shoulders so be careful
Well, I might try going back to single arm dumbbell press, but a few things with that. 1. I've always grip the bench with my other arm to balance myself and I don't know if that has hindered my strength in terms of arm and chest and how that would carry over to barbell. My goal is to not only get a bigger chest and arms but be able to bench the equivalent of 305-315. I don't care if it's with a dumbbell or barbell, jsut as long as I have the size and strength. 2. This is also an issue because I have to relearn deadlifts as well, once the dumbbell gets above 100 pounds it's hurt to lift it up without it being awkward and putting some strain on my lower back. Also, I have dumbbell "handles", so when I rest the dumbbell on my thigh it hurts pretty bad and it's awkward, because I have to not only avoid the spring collar hitting my thigh, but the end of the dumbbell handle is sticking out. I don't have a flat base to rest on my thigh.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
do you have access to a smith machine?

I find them much safer and effect on a smith. You can widen the grip, go down slower, causing more muscle damage, while retracting your scapula, and go wide grip as you want

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
do you have access to a smith machine?

I find them much safer and effect on a smith. You can widen the grip, go down slower, causing more muscle damage, while retracting your scapula, and go wide grip as you want
No. I have to work with what I have at the house.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[video=youtube;BaQHQgDit6I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaQHQgDit6I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AlexPowell , much respect brother! My son studies kinesiology, I'll show him your channel. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well I would personally tell you that no matter what form I use, what grip placement, I definitely get a full ROM, definitely feel my triceps working, but somthing always hurts. Either wrists elbows or shoulder. I simply just do not do them.

Train what works best for you

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
BTW from the video I would say you need to bring your grip out alot wider. This will let you get that contraction and ROM, but with me it also brings more wrist pain. Also wrap your wrists tight before the sets...

As I said above though I just don't do them because they hurt

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
BTW from the video I would say you need to bring your grip out alot wider. This will let you get that contraction and ROM, but with me it also brings more wrist pain. Also wrap your wrists tight before the sets...

As I said above though I just don't do them because they hurt
I don't want to go wide because of past shoulder injuries and plus I want to actually focus more on the triceps. I still want a bigger chest, but I'm trying to get my arms bigger and that's more of a priority to me. My arms have always been my weak point.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
AlexPowell , much respect brother! My son studies kinesiology, I'll show him your channel. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
Thanks, I don't really post videos much. Maybe I should. A lot of what I know is obviously taken from other people though and I feel bad about sharing it on my channel. Maybe I can think of some way to show things that I'm not just ripping them off

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks, I don't really post videos much. Maybe I should. A lot of what I know is obviously taken from other people though and I feel bad about sharing it on my channel. Maybe I can think of some way to show things that I'm not just ripping them off
Most everyone learned something from someone. Maybe you can just mention where you learned something from in the video or in the description if it’s something relatively unique to them. This would help you not feel like you’re ripping their content while also potentially giving them some traffic and helping people watching your video to find other/new content/advice too. Win win win really.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Weight Loss 14
Anabolics 15
Tagger General Chat 7
BOHICA Supplements 13
mtruther Training Forum 2