Please Critique My 4 Day Split

riceandbeans

Awards
Hey fellas, frequent lurker and infrequent poster here. I've been using a 4 day split for the past couple months and really enjoy it. I've made a few changes though because I feel as if moving triceps to shoulder day and biceps to chest day could have a positive impact on me. My arms are lagging behind, biceps especially, and giving them direct work on chest day in addition to the indirect work on back day, as opposed to only hitting them on back day period I think will help give them a bit of a boost. Here is what I have come up with by moving things around and such. What do yall think?

Sunday:
Chest and Biceps
Weighted Chest Dips 4x8
Incline Dumbbell Press 4x8
Incline Dumbbell Flies 4x8
Barbell Curls 3x8
Dumbbell Hammer Curls 3x8

Monday:
Legs
Leg Press 4x8 (cannot squat at this point, recovering from ankle surgery)
Quad Extensions 4x8
Hamstring Curls 4x8
Standing Calf Raises 4xFailure

Wednesday:
Shoulders and Triceps
Smith Machine Shoulder Press 4x8 (giving this a go after using dumbbells forever)
Dumbbell Lateral Raises 4x8
Rear Deltoid Machine Flies 4x8
Overhead Triceps Extensions 3x8
V Bar Cable Pushdowns 3x8

Thursday:
Back
Single Arm Dumbbell Rows 4x8
Seated Cable Rows 4x8
Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns 4x8
Barbell Shrugs 4x8

btothefman

Awards
any reasons for dropping compounds as first exercise, ok with squats but what about clean/press or standing press, deadlift, barbell row, farmers walks, dips, chins, Romanian deadlift? would put face pulls in too for posture get rid of shrugs

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Are you natty or enhanced bro?

Just my opinion but if natty I’d be looking to hit each muscle group at least twice a week

If enhanced I’d be adding way more volume on that split (guessing you are in and out well under an hour?)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would definitely look into a Push/Pull or PPL routine. When lifting natural, it’s not about volume but more about frequency. It’s going to be different at first. You have to change your mindset that you won’t be going in and hitting so many sets / muscle group but the results speak for themselves. I’ve been doing a push/pull routine for about 2 months. Along with an improved diet on my part, I’m seeing fantastic body composition changes in a positive way.

Check out this routine to help you get started if it’s something you have never done before. For my first 2 weeks I followed it exactly. Then I started to add a little bit of volume where I felt it was necessary for me.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

pro45

Awards
Do a PLP or Upper/Lower. As mentioned, if you're natty, train each body part with more frequency and less volume.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I enjoy doing this routine ALOT. It’s one of my staple routines

Day 1- back/chest - no machine work just BB / DB going heavy

Day 2- legs and arms - lots of drop sets and supersets

Day 3 - back / chest with drop sets / super sets

Day 4 - leg day heavy

pro45

Awards
I enjoy doing this routine ALOT. It’s one of my staple routines

Day 1- back/chest - no machine work just BB / DB going heavy

Day 2- legs and arms - lots of drop sets and supersets

Day 3 - back / chest with drop sets / super sets

Day 4 - leg day heavy
What changes to this routine would you make as a complete natural. No enhancement.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What changes to this routine would you make as a complete natural. No enhancement.
Assuming that shoulders are getting worked with chest and there’s some core stuff thrown in Imo this is decent for a natty.

General rule of thumb is natty’s need to hit each muscle more frequently and this does that. Full body routines also work well with a 4 day week split along with ppl....

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
any reasons for dropping compounds as first exercise, ok with squats but what about clean/press or standing press, deadlift, barbell row, farmers walks, dips, chins, Romanian deadlift? would put face pulls in too for posture get rid of shrugs
Face pulls after any chest day!! Agreed!