Cardio before or after lifting weights?

Curiousmonkey

Curiousmonkey

Awards
I like splitting cardio and weigh lifting into two separate workouts per day. For example, I’ll hit the track in the morning and hit the weights at night after work. My question is simple, is it better to lift weights in the morning & cardio at night or do the reverse?

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
I like splitting cardio and weigh lifting into two separate workouts per day. For example, I’ll hit the track in the morning and hit the weights at night after work. My question is simple, is it better to lift weights in the morning & cardio at night or do the reverse?
I always did my cardio in the morning fasted with the thought that it would burn more fat.

I like lifting later in the day after I had a few meals. My body is just not ready to lift in the morning.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I separate cardio no doubt . There's some research in an MD back in 2009 that indicted that cardio with weights , well muscles didnt grow as good. Dorian Yates referenced this study in a podcast

you can if you must , but I prefer it separate.

Crillz411

Awards
See I've never heard about that. I don't do a lot of cardio because I just naturally stay fairly skinny but I do 10 15 mins on the treadmill or eliptacal before my workout for 2 reasons. 1 I heard its good to get your blood level to a certain level before you lift and 2 I like to get out the gym and get some protein in me as soon as possible after lifting.

Curiousmonkey

Curiousmonkey

Awards
I separate cardio no doubt . There's some research in an MD back in 2009 that indicted that cardio with weights , well muscles didnt grow as good. Dorian Yates referenced this study in a podcast

you can if you must , but I prefer it separate.
Train by day joe rogan podcast by night

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Jumping rope is great cardio. I do a 20-30 minute cardio session in the AM, then hit the weights in the PM after work.