Weight Vest

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Weight Vest


    I came across a weight vest in a supplement shop a few days ago, and this has got me wondering, could this help burn more calories during my day to day walking or cardio?
    I am currently 65kg (150lbs) and according to my FitBit, I burn 450 calories per 15,000 steps at walking pace. So if I did cardio or my usual daily steps with the 5-25kg weight vest would I burn more calories? Maybe something similar to that of a person 5-25kg heavier than me?


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Slims View Post
    I came across a weight vest in a supplement shop a few days ago, and this has got me wondering, could this help burn more calories during my day to day walking or cardio?
    I am currently 65kg (150lbs) and according to my FitBit, I burn 450 calories per 15,000 steps at walking pace. So if I did cardio or my usual daily steps with the 5-25kg weight vest would I burn more calories? Maybe something similar to that of a person 5-25kg heavier than me?
    I donít know the science to explain exactly but yes of course you would. Your body has to work harder to carry the weight.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Oconns28 View Post
    I don’t know the science to explain exactly but yes of course you would. Your body has to work harder to carry the weight.
    That's what I thought. A few of the guys at gym said it wouldn't work that way, because heavier people burn more calories due to their hearts having to work harder to support the extra actual body tissues/mass.
    Definitely considering going back to buy it. Being able to burn all the calories of a 90kg (200lb) person at 65kg (150lb) Winning

  4. I donít know if it works exactly like that but get the guys to put on a 50lb weight vest on and do the stair climber and then tell you they didnít burn more calories with the vest on.

    I donít see how someone could think you wouldnít burn more calories with added weight on. If you put an extra 1 lb weight on maybe you burn an extra 0.001 calories per hour but itís still more than without the weight.

  5. A few thoughts.
    Walk further maybe. I don't like the stress extra weight puts on people's joints. Heavy people have joint issues.

    On the flip side, I have been riding my bike to work, which means for me a back pack with cloths, and supplies and lunch which gives it some heft, and I find the low impact of the bike combined with this offers me the extra work load without the joint stresses and added impact of walking with it.

    So, maybe switch to riding a bike, and add the weight vest to see how that works out?
    You get to see the scenery; get outside and avoid that evil treadmill / stepper / elliptical / indoor upright or recumbent bike.

    Win!

    -M
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    Follidrone 2.0 | Vector | Letrone | Rebirth | Exotherm | Nootrol | Viron | Prolactrone +
    15% code: MARK15 Want to know more?
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by justhere4comm View Post
    A few thoughts.
    Walk further maybe. I don't like the stress extra weight puts on people's joints. Heavy people have joint issues.

    So, maybe switch to riding a bike, and add the weight vest to see how that works out?
    I've taken Animal Flex and hyaluronic acid every day for about a year now, my joints are much better and hopefully healthier too. I can walk up to around 14,000 steps a day at work, so I was thinking about wearing it under my shirt. 14,000 steps at my weight (65kg) is about 410 calories so 14,000 steps with the vest (90kg) must burn an extra 200 calories at least right?

  7. I used to do crossfit and we'd use these all the time. I lost the most fat during the months we used them in a lot of our WODs. The brand was rogue fitness and the weights were these big plates that would slide into the vest.

    But, like @Justthere4comm said - it does a number on your knees. I wouldn't use them for prolonged workouts or regularly for that matter.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by jbronk View Post
    I used to do crossfit and we'd use these all the time. I lost the most fat during the months we used them in a lot of our WODs.
    But, like @Justthere4comm said - it does a number on your knees. I wouldn't use them for prolonged workouts or regularly for that matter.
    I'm planning on wearing it under my shirt at work. I do a lot of walking/running around during shift and I think wearing an extra 20kg (45lbs) would burn a considerable amount of extra calories and burn a little extra fat. I wouldn't do any high impact stuff with it, because as you and @justhere4comm said, it wouldn't be too friendly to my joints. I do try to keep my joints as healthy as I can with certain supps, foods and foam rolling

  9. Quote Originally Posted by jbronk View Post
    I used to do crossfit and we'd use these all the time. I lost the most fat during the months we used them in a lot of our WODs. The brand was rogue fitness and the weights were these big plates that would slide into the vest.

    But, like @Justthere4comm said - it does a number on your knees. I wouldn't use them for prolonged workouts or regularly for that matter.
    Thanks bro. One 't'. lol.
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    Follidrone 2.0 | Vector | Letrone | Rebirth | Exotherm | Nootrol | Viron | Prolactrone +
    15% code: MARK15 Want to know more?

  10. I used to use one for HIIT training on hill sprints and it worked extremely well. Just an added 20lbs will do wonders for your endurance. Take it off and you feel like you can go for hours.

    I recently ran a 7k with my daughter and I wore it the entire race thinking I needed to give my 9yo an advantage. No doing, she was waiting for me! Lol. We averaged a 9min mile on a hilly course.

  11. Using a 20kg vest for HIIT and during a 7k marathon!? Damn, that's impressive.
    I'm going back to get my vest tomorrow and tell my FitBit that I suddenly gained 20kg. It'll be interesting to see the calorie difference over a regular day.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Slims View Post
    Using a 20kg vest for HIIT and during a 7k marathon!? Damn, that's impressive.
    I'm going back to get my vest tomorrow and tell my FitBit that I suddenly gained 20kg. It'll be interesting to see the calorie difference over a regular day.
    I do appreciate you calling my 7k a marathon and making the 20lbs into 20kg, but I am not that much of a man.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I do appreciate you calling my 7k a marathon and making the 20lbs into 20kg, but I am not that much of a man.
    Sorry, I live in the UK, we work in Kg's over here so my eyes saw 20lb but my brain read 20kg

  14. Name:  Screenshot_2018-04-24-23-09-43-1.png
Views: 75
Size:  14.9 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2018-04-24-23-07-39-1.png
Views: 77
Size:  12.5 KB

    Shift today without the vest at my basic 65kg.

  15. Name:  Screenshot_2018-04-24-23-10-08-1.png
Views: 71
Size:  15.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2018-04-25-21-45-06-1.png
Views: 70
Size:  11.9 KB

    Shift today with the weight vest, boosting me up to 85kg.
    I've walked 1.75km less and burned 75 more calories.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Slims View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_2018-04-24-23-10-08-1.png
Views: 71
Size:  15.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2018-04-25-21-45-06-1.png
Views: 70
Size:  11.9 KB

    Shift today with the weight vest, boosting me up to 85kg.
    I've walked 1.75km less and burned 75 more calories.
    I am sure you burned more, but the calculations are more complex than you account for.
    Adding the weight from the vest into your body weight in the calculator is incorrect: the weight from the vest does not have any metabolic activity itself (the weight plate isnít burning calories).
    The calculator assumes every Kg is metabolically active

  17. Quote Originally Posted by scherbs View Post
    I am sure you burned more, but the calculations are more complex than you account for.
    The calculator assumes every Kg is metabolically active
    Which is what the guys said when I asked them about it.
    I probably didn't burn as many extra calories as it said, but every little extra helps.
    My legs are on fire today too, feels like leg day DOMS, so my BMR/metabolism must have been amped up too for the recovery process. Wearing the vest increased the calories burned during the day and then for "x" amount of hours afterwards too.

  18. The calculations can be quite a way off. At 95kg mapmyrun reckons i burn around 700 cals on my daily 7.5km. I doubt its that high personally

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    The calculations can be quite a way off. At 95kg mapmyrun reckons i burn around 700 cals on my daily 7.5km. I doubt its that high personally
    Does mapmyrun measure and take your heart rate into account aswell?

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Slims View Post
    Does mapmyrun measure and take your heart rate into account aswell?
    No nothing that fancy. It’s why I think it’s probably wrong....

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    No nothing that fancy. It’s why I think it’s probably wrong....
    My FitBit is probably one of the most inclusive, it tracks my Height, Weight, Heart Rate, Steps Taken, BMI, BMR etc.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Slims View Post
    My FitBit is probably one of the most inclusive, it tracks my Height, Weight, Heart Rate, Steps Taken, BMI, BMR etc.
    Interesting, at a guess I’m probably only burning 600.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    Interesting, at a guess I’m probably only burning 600.
    Invest in a FitBit. In all honesty I didn't think much of them before I got one, thought they were a bit of a gimmick for normies but it is actually good motivation and suprisingly accurate.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Slims View Post
    I came across a weight vest in a supplement shop a few days ago, and this has got me wondering, could this help burn more calories during my day to day walking or cardio?
    I am currently 65kg (150lbs) and according to my FitBit, I burn 450 calories per 15,000 steps at walking pace. So if I did cardio or my usual daily steps with the 5-25kg weight vest would I burn more calories? Maybe something similar to that of a person 5-25kg heavier than me?
    I believe you would do yourself much more good by wearing the vest at the park, especially if there is a hill available and sprint up it 10-15-20x. Or do the same for about 40-50yards.

    I think a sudden 45lb increase for every day is an unnecessary strain on the heart.

    As for the Fitbit. recommend instead a Polar 400 or 200. 400 requires cheststrap, 200 does not.
    Polar provides data for a read out as the attached from an actual session
    Name:  IMG_0191.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  1.24 MB

  25. Quote Originally Posted by UCSMiami View Post
    I believe you would do yourself much more good by wearing the vest at the park, especially if there is a hill available and sprint up it 10-15-20x. Or do the same for about 40-50yards.
    Wouldn't wearing it for HIIT or high impact work wear on my joints too much? My daily work is like LISS and I haven't had any issues from my joints yet
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Weighted Vest
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 10:10 PM
  2. Weighted Vests
    By pmiller383 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 12:49 AM
  3. Back width, wider grip or weight vest.
    By Pumpitup in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
  4. Weighted Vests???
    By iDShaDoW in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 11:33 AM
  5. Weighted Vests???
    By iDShaDoW in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Log in
Log in