Lifting and MMA same day with rest days or a day apart with no rest?

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
Im kinda in doubt about this, I'm gonna restart training MMA but I dont wanna drop the weights.

I have two options, the first one is MMA at lunch time then lifting the same say at 7pm and resting the following day.

The second one is MMA mon-wed-fri and lifting tue-thu-sat so that would leave only sunday to properly rest.

Clearly Im not gonna lift as much as I do now.

What do you think guys?

Keep in mind I'm 33 so the risk to burn my CNS exists.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I did mma years ago, last fight I was 20 and I'm 33 now, can't imagine getting back in shape for that so good luck. Any way, if you plan on fighting again then the weights need to go on the back burner, and focus on the mma and conditioning. I lifted mon,wed,fri back then and it was more maintenance then anything. Monday was bench and deadlift, wed was weighted pull up and squat and Friday was clean and press and a little arms. Mma was mon-Friday for 2hrs a night. And boxing sparing Saturday mornings. If I tried that now I would quit after a week. Focus on what's most important and throw the weights in when you can

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
I did mma years ago, last fight I was 20 and I'm 33 now, can't imagine getting back in shape for that so good luck. Any way, if you plan on fighting again then the weights need to go on the back burner, and focus on the mma and conditioning. I lifted mon,wed,fri back then and it was more maintenance then anything. Monday was bench and deadlift, wed was weighted pull up and squat and Friday was clean and press and a little arms. Mma was mon-Friday for 2hrs a night. And boxing sparing Saturday mornings. If I tried that now I would quit after a week. Focus on what's most important and throw the weights in when you can
Yeah doing good in for mma while maintaining the muscles and size I have now would be great, actually thats what Im trying to figure it out.

Someone suggest me to drop the heavy lifts and compounds at the gym and focus on aestetics given that mma will provide me the functional strenght for the fighting purpose, Im kinda in doubt about it but somehow makes sense when it comes of CNS burnout.

I'm not planning to take part in tournaments or fight beside the sparring, its more of a way to keep me sharp and mean, I notice that in my 30s Im turning kinda soft.