Heavy/Low Reps? High Reps/High Volume? Full Body? Push Pull?

Mr.Burns

Mr.Burns

Awards
Heavy and frequently? Body Part Splits? Push/Pull Splits? High Rep/High Volume? The amount of information and opinions via a Google search regarding this question is not lacking! Confusing? Yes.

So, what’s the consensus? I’m 33 years old, have been back after a very long hiatus, hitting it hard for approximately 6 months, and the more I read the more I question everything I’m doing which leads to lots of inconsistency.

I’ll go high rep/high volume six day splits for two weeks then read that I need to be doing heavy weight/low reps hitting each body part three times a week.
Then, after a couple weeks of that I’ll read that I need to be doing heavy push/pull splits so I’ll do that but then, I’ll read that I should definitely be doing full body heavy workouts 3 times a week for maximum growth!

There is just so much information! I’m already a perfectionist by nature which, if you have any experience with it, it’s actually a fairly heavy psychological burden to carry around. So what the f*** man! I don’t want to waste my time, you know? I feel like at 33, the window is closing on my ability to be as strong, fast, and healthy as I want to be. I’m a recovering alcoholic so I’m really hell bent on making the most of my “new life” and I need some direction on this journey.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Heavy and frequently? Body Part Splits? Push/Pull Splits? High Rep/High Volume? The amount of information and opinions via a Google search regarding this question is not lacking! Confusing? Yes.

So, what’s the consensus? I’m 33 years old, have been back after a very long hiatus, hitting it hard for approximately 6 months, and the more I read the more I question everything I’m doing which leads to lots of inconsistency.

I’ll go high rep/high volume six day splits for two weeks then read that I need to be doing heavy weight/low reps hitting each body part three times a week.
Then, after a couple weeks of that I’ll read that I need to be doing heavy push/pull splits so I’ll do that but then, I’ll read that I should definitely be doing full body heavy workouts 3 times a week for maximum growth!

There is just so much information! I’m already a perfectionist by nature which, if you have any experience with it, it’s actually a fairly heavy psychological burden to carry around. So what the f*** man! I don’t want to waste my time, you know? I feel like at 33, the window is closing on my ability to be as strong, fast, and healthy as I want to be. I’m a recovering alcoholic so I’m really hell bent on making the most of my “new life” and I need some direction on this journey.
Your mainly concerned with hypertrophy?

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
go heavy 3 days have a rest day then hypertrophy 3 days...

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think its as much of a mystery as you think brother.
People have studied this stuff for decades.
First we have declare a goal.
Then we can put forth an attack plan.

Mr.Burns

Mr.Burns

Awards
I don't think its as much of a mystery as you think brother.
People have studied this stuff for decades.
First we have declare a goal.
Then we can put forth an attack plan.
I want, or should I say I’m going to be, the opposite of what I was for a decade: Disciplined, strong, big, fast, and limber. I’ll never be enhanced bodybuilder status and that’s ok. I may never compete against anyone ever but I’ll never stop competing with me. When I’m 60 I want to be that jacked, healthy guy that can keep up with his grandkids. Right now, I just want to be as strong and big as naturally possible.

I’m 6’4, hovering around 175-180, decent shoulder width but average bone size, all legs and shorter torso, freakishly long arms, and a metabolism that’s never satisfied.
Over head Press is 135 1RM
Bent Over Row is 180 1RM
Squat is an embarrassing ass to grass 165 1RM
Deadlift is 205 1RM
Bench Press is 185 1RM

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I want, or should I say I’m going to be, the opposite of what I was for a decade: Disciplined, strong, big, fast, and limber. I’ll never be enhanced bodybuilder status and that’s ok. I may never compete against anyone ever but I’ll never stop competing with me. When I’m 60 I want to be that jacked, healthy guy that can keep up with his grandkids. Right now, I just want to be as strong and big as naturally possible.

I’m 6’4, hovering around 175-180, decent shoulder width but average bone size, all legs and shorter torso, freakishly long arms, and a metabolism that’s never satisfied.
Bent Over Row is 180 1RM
Deadlift is 205 1RM
Bench Press is 185 1RM
If your interested in getting those lifts up.
I would , if you havnt already.
Take those maxes and use 75%.
I'd hit 5 sets of 5 reps.
I'd do squat and bench same day
Deadlifts overhead press same day
I would squat and bench twice a week.
I would do 5x5 untill the 5th rep of the 5th set was pretty fast and it felt like I could easily do another rep.
Then I would add 10 lbs to the squat and dead
5 lbs to bench and squat.
I would do this until I could add any weight after a couple weeks.
2 weeks and no progress on weight means this linear style approach isn't enough and you need something that undulates daily.

This is to get stronger. Getting stronger means getting bigger.
However this may not be the best approach for hypertrophy.
But we have to remember the strongest men in the world are not going to be the
Most aesthetically jacked.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Bent Over Row is 180 1RM
Deadlift is 205 1RM
Bench Press is 185 1RM
Your also very tall and lean.
Squats are gonna be a bitch untill those legs fill out
But like the saying goes
"If you wanna squat a lot, you have to squat a lot"

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
If your interested in getting those lifts up.
I would , if you havnt already.
Take those maxes and use 75%.
I'd hit 5 sets of 5 reps.
I'd do squat and bench same day
Deadlifts overhead press same day
I would squat and bench twice a week.
I would do 5x5 untill the 5th rep of the 5th set was pretty fast and it felt like I could easily do another rep.
Then I would add 10 lbs to the squat and dead
5 lbs to bench and squat.
I would do this until I could add any weight after a couple weeks.
2 weeks and no progress on weight means this linear style approach isn't enough and you need something that undulates daily.

I second this approach. You just gotta stay persistent and keep working. Dont get discouraged. Little progress is still progress and it takes time and effort. But if you keep at it you'll get there

Mr.Burns

Mr.Burns

Awards
I like it! Thanks brother!
The aesthetics would be nice but I think I want a strong foundation to build on first. I guess I could always mix it up but that defeats the purpose of my original question. I’m gonna get the hell out of my own way and get on your 5x5 plan. It sounds fun!!

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like it! Thanks brother!
The aesthetics would be nice but I think I want a strong foundation to build on first. I guess I could always mix it up but that defeats the purpose of my original question. I’m gonna get the hell out of my own way and get on your 5x5 plan. It sounds fun!!
Absolutely mix it.
Do accecories till failure after the 5x5.
There's lots of variations.
Google 5x5 and about a million things will show up
Good luck.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I think so...
But thats debatable
Bodybuilders will do 3 sets of 12 reps
Powerlifting workouts very rarely go over 5 reps.
Bodybuilders many times are bigger than the powerlifter whos stronger.

So I have to disagree both get you EQUALLY strong.
^^^^ agree. Either way you gain strength and size but how much of either one you get is defined by the goals you are training for. Different training methods do different things. Though its true that most pro bodybuilders are immensely strong their strength is dwarfed by the powerlifter or strongman who doesnt look nearly as strong. Ive always been more concerned with strength than size and definition although I do want to get big and look strong so I incorporate hypertrophy methods into my training too.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think so...
But thats debatable
Bodybuilders will do 3 sets of 12 reps
Powerlifting workouts very rarely go over 5 reps.
Bodybuilders many times are bigger than the powerlifter whos stronger.

So I have to disagree both get you EQUALLY strong.
A lot of power lifters do a high volume phase during off season as base training.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A lot of power lifters do a high volume phase during off season as base training.
I'm doing one now.
I'm in a hypertrophy phase....
To get bigger.
But I'm not getting stronger.
I'm basically bodybuilding, trying to loose some fat.

But in our strength phase we will not go over 5 reps

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing one now.
I'm in a hypertrophy phase....
To get bigger.
But I'm not getting stronger.
I'm basically bodybuilding, trying to loose some fat.

But in our strength phase we will not go over 5 reps
I want to look like dan green. Lol. Dude is jacked and strong as sh1t

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
One of my favorites
Nasty sumo!!!!
Yeah dudes a beast. I want to be just like him when i grow up lol ive got alot of work to do to get there and ive wasted alot of time so probably never will but hey it doesnt hurt to dream does it?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Periodization and stay focused on the goal. Set your short term goals and lead straight into something great. We share a similar frame it appears but man ya gotta eat! The consistency of working out, adding good calories, and allowing a plan to come together will give you the results you seek!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright so ive been on the “bro” splits along with random DC, 5x5, GVT for 10 years now. This was the first time I’ve done a Push/pull and stayed with it. In the past I’ve ditched it because I’m just not used to not being sore or little volume. I decided to stick to it this time and here are my results through 6 weeks:

The biggest improvement has been on incline barbell bench. My normal set up for the first compound movement is this:

Set 1- warmup
Set 2- 6 reps
Set 3- 6 reps
Set 4 - 6 -4-2 rest pause

Last week I was able to do 225 on incline and I feel like I could have added 5-10 pounds. I did flat bench today and was only able to do 235 for the same reps. Last time I did 225 so it is improvement but the difference between flat and incline is so little. Weird to me. Must be the timing of when I lift.

Anyway, I’m seeing pretty solid strength gains. I haven’t taken any pics so hard to tell what body comp changes are but I’m staying with this routine with a few minor tweaks here and there. My wife also enjoys it.

G

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Try a different approach after 4 weeks and see what your body responses best to. Find a program for each of the methodologies and customize it to your needs and goals. It's also equally important to select a program that you enjoy and can consistently execute.

Personally the types of programs I enjoyed the most where Dorian Yates style HIT training (although it killed my tendons and joints). The programs that my body has responded best to in terms of comp where full body push/pull splits.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Hey bro, first up congrats on your sobriety - myself (and many others on here) also tread that path.

I’m not going to give you a specific program for two reasons, first up the guys above have already provided loads of great options (5x5 or PHAT in particular).

Secondly, I don’t think the specific program is anywhere near as important as you think.....with where your lifts are at anything with progressive overload (increasing weight over time) will work if you stick to it. Key is being consistent.....what’s optimal for you and your goals will take some time for you to figure out (we all respond differently to training protocols) but right now literally any program will get you bigger and stronger if you stick with it and eat enough (track your calorie and macro intake btw - don’t guess at it).

I’m 6’2 and 36 with long arms so I’m not too dissimilar to you, I’m definitely not a natural lifter by a long long way but just by turning up over the past 5 years and doing the above I got my squat to 320 and my dead to 400 with no anabolics (they are higher now but I’ve run a couple of prohormone cycles). Trust the process my friend - you got this.

G

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Try a different approach after 4 weeks and see what your body responses best to. Find a program for each of the methodologies and customize it to your needs and goals. It's also equally important to select a program that you enjoy and can consistently execute.

Personally the types of programs I enjoyed the most where Dorian Yates style HIT training (although it killed my tendons and joints). The programs that my body has responded best to in terms of comp where full body push/pull splits.
See some examples below. Just remember, like previously stated, don't get hung up on the specifics. Apply the methodologies and customize to your personal needs and goals.

Check Out Dorian HIT: (Bodybuilding had a decent one but now you have to pay so F that)
http://www.borntoworkout.com/dorian-yates-workout-routine-diet-plan-training-philosophy/

Check out: Push/Pull
https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters-part-2

Mr.Burns

Mr.Burns

Awards
Y’all are some solid motherf****** and I appreciate the sh** out of all the help and info!!!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Y’all are some solid motherf****** and I appreciate the sh** out of all the help and info!!!
Hey, when I see these posts, I def read through all the links and comments. Sometimes I see a different routine that I want to try. A lot of people don’t like to respond to these threads because you can basically use the forum search to get the same answers but I enjoy it.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I could decide on 2-4 programs I'd happily switch over every 2-3 weeks and make notes. I've been lifting 14 years or so, 96kg and natural. All I've done is 4 day split ?

I am getting bored these days, taking weeks off but honestly feel much better for me and don't lose anythint when I return to gym.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Becarefull copying pro body builder routines
Dorian, Arnold ,ohearn....etc.
Those guys are yolked agreed....those guys are on drugs agreed.
Natty lifters running geared pro body builder routines is a mistake.
That's a recipe for skinny legs and small shoulders IMO
If your a beginner you need to run the workouts those guys ran when they just started