Blood pressure headache when lifting?

Maxy

Awards
Hey guys, so recently I’ve been getting bad headaches when I’m lifting heavy and my doctor told me that it’s probably due to high blood pressure. Anyone experience something similar? I was thinking that it was probably more of a tension related headache

Low

Low

Awards
Are you taking arginine or any supps like that? In high does arginine has done that to me. Any other meds?

Maxy

Awards
No arginine or pre workout. Just started happening. Doc bumped my bp med higher.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How's your breathing? By that, what I mean is, are you breathing during your lifts or holding your breath and straining?

Maxy

Awards
I’d like to think I’m breathing correctly but I’m going to work on it, maybe lower the weight for a bit.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
First thing i was thinking , when lifting heavy are you holding your breath??
Work on Breathing.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys, so recently I’ve been getting bad headaches when I’m lifting heavy and my doctor told me that it’s probably due to high blood pressure. Anyone experience something similar? I was thinking that it was probably more of a tension related headache
Are you natural? Lifting heavy can raise blood pressure at the time you're lifting and then if you're using anabolics, those can raise your blood pressure too.

If you're not using anabolics, do you use a pre workout? Caffeine and other stimulants can raise blood pressure as well. Maybe use smaller doses or do not use stims around your workout at all.

Have you tried supplementing with celery seed extract? That can lower blood pressure.

Musclemayham

Awards
Just saw this. I have the same issue when I decide to go heavier on days, I get headaches and it’s just an awful time. The best way to over come this in my opinion is taking your Bp and maybe some Hawthorne berries. Cardio also helps quite a bit if you haven’t been implementing it lately.

Peanutbutterj

Awards
I used to get these; they’re called “exertion headaches”. I would get them from holding my breath on intense sets.
Takes a few weeks to get over (YMMV).
Hope you get to feeling better

Maxy

Awards
Thanks guys, I’m not natural per se just on TRT.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys, I’m not natural per se just on TRT.
Being on TRT I’m sure you know to monitor hematocrit blood level? High hematocrit due to RBC increase could cause these headaches.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I get these if I have not had enough water that day....I'm guessing "thicker" blood without being hydrated

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As stated lifting heavy can do it. I especially get mine on leg press the blood going down into my head, then pushing . Take a few breathes between reps

Maxy

Awards
Yeah it was definitely poor form and now I’m just bouncing back from ad with physical therapy and going light for a while

Maxy

Awards
But I went to a neurologist and everything is fine in that area and my blood pressure is under control

Toff

Awards
  • Established
This could just be a case of breathing technique.

Salt intake, and cholesterol the next.

Newth

Awards
If you have lowered your caffeine intake you can get headaches like this, the caffeine constricts the brains blood vessels. In turn the high blood flow in your brain it can induce headaches. Fast raising BP from training wont help this at all.

Some aminos can do the same which can cause the same problem.

Maxy

Awards
It turns out I sprained a muscle in my neck and am now having triggerpoints release sessions done through a physical therapist so I’m back to lifting!