Resistance Training same muscle group 2x per week

protempsfish

Awards
I was talking to a friend the other day. He had mentioned something about a training program where you train the same muscle groups 2x per week. I would have thought that it would inhibit recovery time but he swears by it. For example. Monday-biceps/shoulders heavy weights, low reps and Thursdays using same muscle groups, light weight high reps. Has anyone done this or would anyone recommend this type of resistance training? To me, it sounds like over training but i am no expert.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Are you Natty or Assisted?

You adjust volume to suit, I currently train each muscle group 2 or 3 times per week using a HST / Myo reps hybrid.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do Chest/Shoulders/Triceps(pushing) Mon and Thursday and Back/Biceps(pulling) on Tues and Friday. Heavy weight on all occasions. 6-8 reps each set. 4 sets after warmup.
Mostly all compound work.

Squats/DLs/etc on Wed. so that is only 1x per week.

Does that fit what you are looking for?

How long? Several years now. Since 2015.

Opinions? Love it. Works for me as that is 72 hours recovery time in-between muscle groups. One week for squats. A younger person could use less recovery time. New people starting out need more recovery. what a mess.

I started training a newbie last week on this program. It is harder than a 5x5 MWF program. Easier than a large set count whole body 3x per week.

protempsfish

Awards
I guess the recovery time is the real concern but if it is being done by others with no issues, than i will give it a try.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Go easy your first day, week otherwise DOMS will be debilitating and stifle motivation.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was talking to a friend the other day. He had mentioned something about a training program where you train the same muscle groups 2x per week. I would have thought that it would inhibit recovery time but he swears by it. For example. Monday-biceps/shoulders heavy weights, low reps and Thursdays using same muscle groups, light weight high reps. Has anyone done this or would anyone recommend this type of resistance training? To me, it sounds like over training but i am no expert.
For a start, OVERtraining is very hard to do (many people overREACH and not actually overTRAIN - difference between the two), and what it is for one individual will not be for another. There is nothing wrong with training your muscles twice per week - many do (I personally train mine all four times a week), but that said, your training should be set up for YOU RE YOUR GOALS AND NEEDS (there is no point doing something if it is not going to help you in either area). If you are not sure what you are doing, then get a trainer or someone who can and will ensure that your training is specific for YOU.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been using a variable split system since 1994. I train arms up to 3 times per week, chest and back twice per week and legs once. The system is called powerbuilding designed by shawn Phillips.

protempsfish

Awards
I will do some research. You obviously see results?

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yup, been doing it for decades... I used it in conjunction with an old power lifting program developed by Charles Staley when I was powerlifting. I switched over to bodybuilding in 1998 exclusively with the vst program.

iamyourfather

iamyourfather

Awards
check out bodyrecomposition.com for high quality information

for a natty it is highly recommended to hit every muscle twice a week. of course you have to adjust volume.

to give you an excellent example of a good training routine check out lyle‘s bulking routine. its an upper-lower split with 4 training days a week.

other systems are push/pull/legs then one rest day and again push/pull/legs and so on

or whole body 2 times or even 3 times a week; some people even do full body workout 4 times a week, im not a friend of this but it is definitely possible - adjust the volume and there you go

or push/pull

there are several training systems out there. you have to find something you like, adherence is the key to success, regardless which trainings routine you choose. but again, for a natty its better to hit every muscle twice a week.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I def recommend hitting muscle groups more than once a week. You need to watch your volume but for natty, frequency is great. Here is an article you can read that gives a great routine for you to try. I’m doing it now actually. This is a push pull. For my first two weeks I followed it exactly. Now I added a tad bit more volume but not too much at all. Just 2-3 more sets on a different exercise for each muscle.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Frequency is better for natural lifters since it will increase MPS more than lifting for volume (hitting muscle groups once per week).

If you are new to it though, you need to be weary of how much volume you do in each session. For example, if you have one chest day per week, you may do 12-15 sets. You do not need more than 9 sets in a single chest day when going for frequency.

Read the following article.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

Old School

Old School

Awards
I train chest and arms on Monday, back and shoulders on Tuesday, legs on Wednesday, and then chest and arms, back and shoulders, and legs. I’ve been doing this for basically 40 years now and it works well for me with some minor variations Now and then

Mwhite530

Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah dude! Just eat in a hefty surplus of calories and you’ll be good to go. Just don’t go insanely overboard on the volume, even on the lighter of the two days.