My Hammer Strength Explosions (Why?)

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
What is it that's causing my chest to massage people from across the room after I'm finished with a day of chest on Hammer Strength machines? I'm afraid to hear the answer I'm expecting - but I'm guessing it has to do with my form. Am I right? Or is there some possibility that I'm just made/designed to work better with these machines? I know my shoulders have some alignment issues - a doctor once told me that the way my bones were positioned, I was destined to have shoulder issues. I used to be a very avid boxer - but I could never go pro because of this.

ANYWAY.. I have a lot less shoulder discomfort when using the Hammer Strength machines for chest - so I think I'm going to stick to them for awhile.. Is there any chance I could build mass during this time? I figure I'll try dumbells and barbells again after I'm feeling altogether better...

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I don't follow your question - but Hammer strength allows you to go really deep, certainly a good way without a spotter to improve your flat bar bench and chest overall. I find the following day that I am sore in the mid chest rather than the upper chest after doing flat bench free bar.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
My question is (sorry) - why do I have such incredible pumps after working chest with Hammer Strength machines as opposed to dumbells and barbells?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
you are isolating the pectoral better with the Hammer Strength. Whereas, the flat bench or dumbells probably recruit shoulders to a greater degree. It's also a different angle. Certain machines are great because of the angle (depends on your height) while other machines are uselss.

Take biceps, you will probably get a greater pump on preacher curls (isolation) versus a standing curl (compound) with the olympic bar.

my experience at least...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
So what am I really losing by switching to Hammer Strength for awhile?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
no not at all! in fact switching up will lead to better gains. Stick with this for a few months, practice good form (instead of cheating on flat bench) and come back to flat free bench in a couple months and test your strength.

use the flat bench to measure strength
but build that strength on the hammer

Phoenix rising

Awards
What is it that's causing my chest to massage people from across the room after I'm finished with a day of chest on Hammer Strength machines? I'm afraid to hear the answer I'm expecting - but I'm guessing it has to do with my form. Am I right? Or is there some possibility that I'm just made/designed to work better with these machines? I know my shoulders have some alignment issues - a doctor once told me that the way my bones were positioned, I was destined to have shoulder issues. I used to be a very avid boxer - but I could never go pro because of this.

ANYWAY.. I have a lot less shoulder discomfort when using the Hammer Strength machines for chest - so I think I'm going to stick to them for awhile.. Is there any chance I could build mass during this time? I figure I'll try dumbells and barbells again after I'm feeling altogether better...
I'm no Bobo are anybody important but heres my 2 cents worth:

I've trained chest before on Hammer Machines alone and my chest seemed to respond well. Then when I returned to dbells or barbells the strength increase I received on the Hammer equipment did not transfer over to free weights. I personaly would not think of Hammer equipment as good assitance work for helping your free weight lifts. Louie Simmons of West Side barbell fame has great information on assitance work. (great source)

Can you grow a massive chest by using Hammer Machines? I would say yes. Dorain Yates favored smith machine and hammer equipment so he could push maximal loads safely without worring about balancing the weight. He talks about this in his book Blood and Guts. I think Dorian had a pretty darn good chest

When we have injuries and want to stay in the game you have to learn how to adapt.

I think there always to ways to skin a cat. Some roads may get you there faster though .......

I would still work on the source thats causing the shoulder discomfort. A good ART provider or kineseologist would be most helpfull IMHO

Anyone feel free to agree or disagree :)

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I'm having some crazy things go on right now and I don't have a medical plan. Hopefully that will change in a few weeks. In any event, I'm not at all concerned about strength, actually. I'm concerned about size.. So I'm really quite happy to know that Dorian Yates favored the Smith Machine and Hammer Strength machines.. This will keep me going for awhile until I feel comfortable getting back into free weights. I enjoy free weights much more - but I want to train, most of all...

Thanks again!!!

Matt ALRI

Awards
Zero,

You gotta do what you gotta do to work around an injury. SO good job on that.

That said, there are several things that trouble me about this trhead...

1) "Pumps" mean nothing in terms to how effective an exercise is.

2) Hammer strength bench press is undoubtedly far inferior to free weight bench presses in terms of both size and strength gains. This has been provenhundred of times.

3) While Dorian was an incredible bodybuilder, why would you take his advice on training? This guy was one of the greatest genetic freaks in history and would have grown like a weed if he had a bowflex at home. How about you find a couple hundred high school kids that got huge using hammer strength bench presses. Won't happen. But I can show you some incredible 18 year old athletes that got that way from free weights.

4) Hammer strength machines don't build strength. Strength is built in the trenches of hard work in the corner of the gym where it smells like B.O and liniment - where there is a dusting of chalk everywhere, and where there is blood and puke on the floor.

Matt

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Okay. That being said.. What significance is there, if any, to Hammer Strength machines? Do they serve any purpose for serious lifters?

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Nevermind. They're no good for powerlifters, but their fine for people who just want to be in the best shape they can be. You can gain muscle size using Hammer Strength machines but you wont be as big as Dorian Yates (if you even care) unless you're just as genetically freaky as he is. :)

Matt ALRI

Awards
LOL - where did you get that idea Zero? Do I get my opinion thrown out now because I'm a strength athlete?

If it's all you can do to work around an injury, then do it. But regardless of whether you are a strength athlete, bodybuilder, etc. they are inferior to your size goals compared to free weights.

Matt

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I'm no Bobo are anybody important but heres my 2 cents worth:

I've trained chest before on Hammer Machines alone and my chest seemed to respond well. Then when I returned to dbells or barbells the strength increase I received on the Hammer equipment did not transfer over to free weights. I personaly would not think of Hammer equipment as good assitance work for helping your free weight lifts. Louie Simmons of West Side barbell fame has great information on assitance work. (great source)

Can you grow a massive chest by using Hammer Machines? I would say yes. Dorain Yates favored smith machine and hammer equipment so he could push maximal loads safely without worring about balancing the weight. He talks about this in his book Blood and Guts. I think Dorian had a pretty darn good chest

When we have injuries and want to stay in the game you have to learn how to adapt.

I think there always to ways to skin a cat. Some roads may get you there faster though .......

I would still work on the source thats causing the shoulder discomfort. A good ART provider or kineseologist would be most helpfull IMHO

Anyone feel free to agree or disagree :)
:goodpost:

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
You can still make gains and certainly maintain good conditioning using the HS machines. Are free weights better, of course but we all already knew that. Bottom line like Matt said, is if you can bench on the HS and not have pain then by all means stick to the damn HS press. Your not training for the Olympia here.

I personally have been using a lot of HS press as of late because I'm trying to build up my right pec as it's lagging a little behind. It wasn't really as noticable to me until I dropped my bf down like a I did.

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
Strength is built in the trenches of hard work in the corner of the gym where it smells like B.O and liniment - where there is a dusting of chalk everywhere, and where there is blood and puke on the floor.

Matt
:icon_lol: :rofl: This amuse anybody else??

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Zero,

You gotta do what you gotta do to work around an injury. SO good job on that.

That said, there are several things that trouble me about this trhead...

1) "Pumps" mean nothing in terms to how effective an exercise is.

2) Hammer strength bench press is undoubtedly far inferior to free weight bench presses in terms of both size and strength gains. This has been provenhundred of times.

3) While Dorian was an incredible bodybuilder, why would you take his advice on training? This guy was one of the greatest genetic freaks in history and would have grown like a weed if he had a bowflex at home. How about you find a couple hundred high school kids that got huge using hammer strength bench presses. Won't happen. But I can show you some incredible 18 year old athletes that got that way from free weights.

4) Hammer strength machines don't build strength. Strength is built in the trenches of hard work in the corner of the gym where it smells like B.O and liniment - where there is a dusting of chalk everywhere, and where there is blood and puke on the floor.

Matt

LOL So he shouldn't take advice from Dorain Yates but he should take it from you. :rofl: :hammer:

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
LOL So he shouldn't take advice from Dorain Yates but he should take it from you. :rofl: :hammer:
I think the intent of his comment was to say you can't compare workouts with those that have great genes(BB wise) and great drugs when you have average genes and no drugs and expect to get similiar results.

To find a workout that works for the common man you have to compare results with other common men.

Either way tho, i don't think anyone here is going to argue that HS is better then free weights. Zero T just needs to use them for now because of the current state of his shoulders. I think only time will tell if the HS machines are going to work out for him str/size wise.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I have freaky genes myself, actually. I was curling 150lb with a straight bar at 18 years old with bearly any training experience.. I'm not big-boned, either.. I gain muscle-weight really easily. If I could just stick with it for awhile without getting hurt, I'd be fine.. I never had issues with my shoulders in regards to lifting until now.. Oh well...

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
If it's all you can do to work around an injury, then do it. But regardless of whether you are a strength athlete, bodybuilder, etc. they are inferior to your size goals compared to free weights.

Matt
I do not believe this to be true AT ALL. I have tried many ways of training over the years, and whether or not I used DB, BB, or various machines was not nearly as important as how I was training overall and, more importantly, if my diet was in check.

From my experience and readings, more important factors to size growth would be

1. Your training program's specifics to: volume, load, duration, rep schemes, and how these affect hypertrophy.

2. Also would be your diet (amount of cals, breakdown of macros, meal timing, etc)

3. Any supplementation or AS use and how this is affecting #1 and #2 above.

IMHO, what exercises you use for chest is MUCH less important than those above. I would say that incline DB is my favorite, but I stopped because of elbow pain when I do them and switched to Hammer Strength inclines without regret or lack of gains. :)

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do not believe this to be true AT ALL. I have tried many ways of training over the years, and whether or not I used DB, BB, or various machines was not nearly as important as how I was training overall and, more importantly, if my diet was in check.

1. Your training program's specifics to: volume, load, duration, rep schemes, and how these affect hypertrophy.

2. Also would be your diet (amount of cals, breakdown of macros, meal timing, etc)

IMHO, what exercises you use for chest is MUCH less important than those above. I would say that incline DB is my favorite, but I stopped because of elbow pain when I do them and switched to Hammer Strength inclines without regret or lack of gains. :)
:goodpost:

builtolast

Awards
no not at all! in fact switching up will lead to better gains. Stick with this for a few months, practice good form (instead of cheating on flat bench) and come back to flat free bench in a couple months and test your strength.

use the flat bench to measure strength
but build that strength on the hammer
This sounds like good advice. Thanks for speaking of guys! Been going through same exact thing lately. Hammerstrength is teaching my muscle what they should be feeling after a chest workout, where as DB/barbells felt like they were leaving me guessing.

builtolast

Awards

You're a smart, smart man. Well said... :goodpost:

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad I posted this message.. It's very encourageing to hear the mostly-positive input...

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
I agree with sticking with what causes you the least discomfort in the injured area.

Have you tried Decline BB? I found those to be pretty easy on my shoulders when they feel a bit painful.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I haven't tried decline BB yet.. I'm taking a week or two off to see if I heal...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
riseabove5 Training Forum 4
AaronJP1 Training Forum 25
VS91588 Training Forum 11
mixedup Training Forum 11
Dutchman 35 and Older 10